What To Do About Acidic Soil?

Letterhead954

I've been using Roots Original for veging. A while back I tested some runoff and found that it was really acidic. I use a pool tester ph kit, and the runoff was red. I thoroughly flushed two plants, and it seemed to help a bit. I've noticed that all my small plants, in 6" pots aren't looking to good and are growing very slowly. I flushed one tonight with high ph water (around 9), and it still came out acidic. Have I just gotten a bad bag of soil? If I keep using this bag, how can I get the ph down? By the way, I always ph my water to about 6,

Another thing... I just read that Promix is acidic, around 5. Is that true? That's what I use when I transplant to 5 gal. pots. Should I just use un-ph'd water (around 7)?

for the 1st week it says not to add any nutes to the promix, I dont even ph it for the first week, also with promix, you need to make sure when you water it that you always water it good, it has to come out real well, I dont worry to much about testing it on the way out, its on the way in I worry about it, it will always come out low in ph, and high ppm's, but it does flush out real well, if you wind up with to low on your ph and too high on your ppm's it flushes real well, Ive poored 20 gallons of ro thru a plant in a 10 gal pot, and it went thru like a normal watering!

If you find out something new please post it, ive noticed no matter what i do that promix plus the plant does something to the over flow that I totaly dont understand, but I do know I let my water/nutes sit in a res for at least 5 days before I use it, with a bubbler of course!

Best of luck!

Peace

Jim

I don't understand the reasoning behind flushing a plant with anything but ro with mag\cal or just natural spring water from the jug; None of my plants like anything much higher than 7; yours may be different I can only tell you what I have seen first hand. Sounds like you are on the right track

184phscale.gif

I don't understand the reasoning behind flushing a plant with anything but ro with mag\cal or just natural spring water from the jug; None of my plants like anything much higher than 7; yours may be different I can only tell you what I have seen first hand. Sounds like you are on the right track

184phscale.gif

I hear ya, I have found mine to grow best between 5.7 and 6.5 maybe 7. It comes out of my faucet before my water softener at 7 ph and 156 ppm, thats great, when it comes out its at under 5 ph and like 2500ppm, I actualy put distilled water thru it, I water it with nutes for 2 times ( im only growing a few so it only takes like 1 1/2 gallons to flush it per plant) and than I put distilled in it for 1 watering, than i go back to my nutes for 2 waterings, It is always like up in the 2000 ppms and a real low ph level, Ive found the ph to be the most problematic, not the ppms, but if my water in my res is changing all by itself well im kinda worried, and I notice when i water, yea I guess i should just do the kiss method, Im just a 3 plant guy and I water by hand (1 gal water bucket) if ya got a better way id love to hear about it, all im trying to do is keep me and my pt (my lifes partner(woman lol)) but hey im thinkin of buying me an ro machine, its gotta save me money in the long run, and alot of head ache!

Peace

Jim

Another thing... I just read that Promix is acidic, around 5. Is that true? That's what I use when I transplant to 5 gal. pots. Should I just use un-ph'd water (around 7)?

id say yea for the first few times than go to your regular nute mix!

It is realy hard to get your ph above 5 when you are using promix!

Peace

Jim

• 3 months later...

Here is what works for me...ph lock...flush with 3 times the amt of your container(3 gal pot, 9 gal of flush) or till runoff ph is the same as what is going in. drain off as much flush as you can...do not water or nute till soil is dry then use 1/2 strength for the first few times...if your grow starts to stink again then the flush was successful.

Roots is an organically amended soil. It's designed to balance out it's own PH as the microlife blooms and breaks everything down.

Culture the microbes in the soil, and they feed the plant what it needs.

Water with the occasional compost tea and a sugar source like molasses, and you are all good. No PH pen needed, ever. No flushing, either.

Pro-Mix requires PH adjustment because the plant is eating solely what you mix into the water and put in direct contact with the roots.

The medium has very limited nutrient.

Sounds to me like you are treating your Roots Original soil like it's Pro-Mix.

Both work, but each medium requires a different growing method.