Are Caregivers Allowed To Consume?

peanutbutter

Caregivers cannot "use" marihuana per the law; the need for (a) a doctors recommendation, or (b) a medical condition which would allow for use of the Affirmative Defense section of the law are required. The "medical use" section is broad, granted. But at this time I severely doubt an individual would escape prosecution otherwise.

I use rubber/latex gloves whenever handling medicine; manicuring without them is problematic, and the oils on your hands degrade essential chemicals. The less you handle it, the better.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caregivers cannot "use" marihuana per the law; the need for (a) a doctors recommendation, or (b) a medical condition which would allow for use of the Affirmative Defense section of the law are required. The "medical use" section is broad, granted. But at this time I severely doubt an individual would escape prosecution otherwise.

I use rubber/latex gloves whenever handling medicine; manicuring without them is problematic, and the oils on your hands degrade essential chemicals. The less you handle it, the better.

Great post. I get a good laugh when someone says that a CG needs to be protected for internal possession because he can absorb MJ through his skin while he works on it. As if the existance of a minor potential problem (CG absorbing meds) is the basis for a CG to be protected for consuming meds. Yep - that's what gloves are for folks.

What's next? A pharmacist is protected for testing positive for any of the drugs he handles but doesn't have an Rx for?

Edited by Highlander

Jim has it correct. Yes, the CG can reserve/retain 2.5 oz per patient while the patient possess 2.5 oz, but if you are your own caregiver then you can only possess 2.5 oz for yourself, as you have no caregiver. Silly, yes. But it's also the law. I am a caregiver for 4 patients, and have my wife as my caregiver. This allows me to have the extra 2.5 oz and gives her legal protection. As I have stated over and over, EVERY patient should have a cg regardless of whether they can procure medicine; the legal protections it can give are well worth it!

I also use nitril gloves when trimming and generally wear long sleeves if I have to crawl around in the plants. Over the years I have become allergic to them. I will break right out in hives if they touch me anywhere besides my hands. Las thing I want to do is make a mistake and touch my eyes, lol..

Jim has it correct. Yes, the CG can reserve/retain 2.5 oz per patient while the patient possess 2.5 oz, but if you are your own caregiver then you can only possess 2.5 oz for yourself, as you have no caregiver. Silly, yes. But it's also the law. I am a caregiver for 4 patients, and have my wife as my caregiver. This allows me to have the extra 2.5 oz and gives her legal protection. As I have stated over and over, EVERY patient should have a cg regardless of whether they can procure medicine; the legal protections it can give are well worth it!

Thank you, Im still waiting for the first one to show me where it says I cant have a c.g who posseses my plants and be a c.g for another pt and I can possess her plants!

Yes my c.g has my plant rites, he can have 2.5 oz for me and i can have 2.5 as a pt!

Im a c.g I can also have 2.5 oz for my pt and grow her plants, and she can have 2.5 oz's in her locked box,

so what it boils down to is some one grows for me legaly, and i grow for some one else legaly, my pt is my lady, so we can have 7.5 oz's in the same house at all times, I keep 2.5 for her in my room and my 2.5 in my room and 12 plants, well I only grow 3 at a time and am lucky to get one to crop lmao,

and I can also have a c.g and not give them my plant rites, He can still supply me with meds, from his own 12 plants or one of his other pts 12 plants if need be,

But let me make this clear, Im a pt, I have a c.g he has my plant rites!

I am also a c.g to my lady and I have her plant rights!

I can grow upto 12 plants for my pt, and have 2.5 for her and 2.5 for me(as a pt) but I cant have more than 12 plants with only one pt, I can not grow 24 plants because im a pt/c.g, if I had my grow rites I could grow upto 24 plants, but I still would only be able to have the same amount of cured product in my possession!

Does that straighten it out for any one, does anyone want to find in the law where it says im wrong? im willing to bet the farm you cant find it anywhere, Im legal thru and thru, the main reason I dont get my grow rites back from my c.g is, because im just getting started again and may need back up! Ive already lost my first 3 plants, the next one i limped to crop, now i have 3 in veg, I recieved 3 clones from my c.g, im vegging them this time and budding them, but if I have problems like last time I can count on my c.g for meds for me, and as a c.g to my lady I can supply her with what ever I get from my c.g,now my c.g cant legaly supply her, but he can bring me 2.5 and thats more than enough for both of us!

wow, I cant beleive how little people know of the law, Now i bet most say im doing what im doing so I can some way do ilegal things legaly! not the case!

Ive had the same c.g for almost 2 yrs now, when I told him I was getting myself set up and gonna be my ladys c.g, the 1st thing he asked me was do I want my rights back from him. I said no, I realy have no need to grow more than the 12 im allowed to grow for my pt,, in return, I realy dont have to veg my plants, my c.g will veg em and bring it to me ready for the budd tent!, I realy only have to budd my plants if thats what i choose to do!

but in my experience plants, especialy mj plants like consistancy, ive had problems when he vegs them for me and i only budd them, like i said i lost the first 3, than I got a mother plant from him in promix, I gave up on the dwc, but the same thing started to happen to the mother plant he gave me in promix as the ones I was budding in dwc,only dif was i could not save the ones in dwc, but I did and in most cases can save it in promix! I beleive him vegging them in his grow room, (which is far more safisticated than mine) and than bringing them to me to budd is taking the plants out of their daily routine, we use the same nutes, but im growing in lil tents where he has a huge room usualy maxed out in numbers! I feel im already having better results getting clones from him this time, this sat will be 4 wks in veg ( i recieved 3 clones a lil over 3 wks ago from him, My room is dif, i dont have a.c he does, i dont have ro water he does, i dont have co2 he does! so there are alot of differences when they come from his grow to mine, and I beleive that has alot to do with some, not all of the problems i was having, time will tell!

Peace

Jim

Edited by phaquetoo

@ Phaquetoo

In 2009-2010 I registered my wife as my CG; she had possession of my plants. I, in turn, registered as her CG and possessed her plants. In 2011 the MMMP refused to allow this to continue. They merely sent me a letter stating that it was not legal and told me I had 60 days to correct the paperwork and re-apply or I couldn't until the next year!. Why, they never said nor do I know. They did the same thing to my brother and his partner this year; they were forced to divide their facility and maintain plant possession as patients. For some reason they have banned this.

Edited by Scooter

My wife and I were set up like that too. They looked so hard at my record this time, they found a 31 year old misdemeanor, that was not described in my record as a misdemeanor or a felony, to kick me off from being her caregiver. I think they are looking harder at those of us that are using our rights to the fullest. I've thought that for months now. They let it go since we first registered when the program started. Now they want to knit pick.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts they have a close eye on anyone who set up one of those pyramids.

I thought you said you had one of those pyramids Scooter? They didn't mention that part? The chain of caregivers with patients who are caregivers for patients?

@ Phaquetoo

In 2009-2010 I registered my wife as my CG; she had possession of my plants. I, in turn, registered as her CG and possessed her plants. In 2011 the MMMP refused to allow this to continue. They merely sent me a letter stating that it was not legal and told me I had 60 days to correct the paperwork and re-apply or I couldn't until the next year!. Why, they never said nor do I know. They did the same thing to my brother and his partner this year; they were forced to divide their facility and maintain plant possession as patients. For some reason they have banned this.

Im only her c.g, she is not mine, I have a c.g and he dont live in the same house as me, he has been my c.g for 2 yrs and im going on 2 yrs as her c.g, so we only have 1 of our plant rights! Im sure hoping this is different than what happened to you, Thank you for sharing!

Best of luck to you!

Peace

Jim

My wife and I were set up like that too. They looked so hard at my record this time, they found a 31 year old misdemeanor, that was not described in my record as a misdemeanor or a felony, to kick me off from being her caregiver. I think they are looking harder at those of us that are using our rights to the fullest. I've thought that for months now. They let it go since we first registered when the program started. Now they want to knit pick.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts they have a close eye on anyone who set up one of those pyramids.

I thought you said you had one of those pyramids Scooter? They didn't mention that part? The chain of caregivers with patients who are caregivers for patients?

So they checked your criminal record that deeply?

I think every application is sent to the office of the AG before permission is granted to issue the card.

That could be why the cards are still taking 45-60 days.

So they checked your criminal record that deeply?

I think every application is sent to the office of the AG before permission is granted to issue the card.

That could be why the cards are still taking 45-60 days.

Yes. They found a 31 year old misdemeaner from 1981 when I got caught smoking in a park. The judge dismissed it with a $25 fine. But LARA has enquiring minds and they wanted to know all about it, months after I sent in the paperwork. They gave me 30 days to straighten it up, but the card came the next day saying No Caregiver. I had no chance to straighten it up for the remaining few months my patient would have had. They drug their feet for months and then canceled me in a day. They played both sides of the rules. They cheated and then they bent over backwards to make me conform when they found a technicality, not a real felony. My record didn't say misdemeanor. It just described a misdemeanor to anyone who has a clue about the court system. But they want the court to tell them it was not a felony, even though that court doesn't even give felonies.

Edited by Restorium2

Yes. They found a 31 year old misdemeaner from 1981 when I got caught smoking in a park. The judge dismissed it with a $25 fine. But LARA has enquiring minds and they wanted to know all about it, months after I sent in the paperwork. They gave me 30 days to straighten it up, but the card came the next day saying No Caregiver. I had no chance to straighten it up for the remaining few months my patient would have had. They drug their feet for months and then canceled me in a day. They played both sides of the rules. They cheated and then they bent over backwards to make me conform when they found a technicality, not a real felony. My record didn't say misdemeanor. It just described a misdemeanor to anyone who has a clue about the court system. But they want the court to tell them it was not a felony, even though that court doesn't even give felonies.

Yes .. but HOW do they "dig that deeply?"

I think it's because LARA is sharing our information with Bill Schuette.

How long does a credit report track your address? I have addresses from college listed in mine, from the 80's.

What on Earth would cause you to make the assumption, from a report that something was still on a criminal record from 31 years ago (little more important than knowing my address in Holden Hall at MSU don't you agree?), that Bill Schuette was being given illegal access to registration records?

Let's not overlook the obvious. Stuff stays on criminal records forever, errors and all, until they are removed.

My understanding is that the MSP is doing the caregiver background checks for the whole program. As far as I know it has been that way since the beginning. It may have changed to the AG's office, I do not know how their capabilities differ, but I will check around.

So the MSP is causing the state to violate the law about 20 days?

MSP can't cause the state to violate the law. LARA could issue cards regardless of whether MSP came back with a background check. If LARA is violating it is on them.

With that said, I, too, have spoken with Clarkson several times. I haven't specifically asked about this but from what I understood the background check was simply someone on a LEIN terminal doing the check. My further understanding was that it was someone with LARA (well techinically it was someone with MDCH because that is how long it has been since I last called). I, myself, have used LEIN, years ago when I worked for a court. It takes seconds to look up a person and print off a sheet. I don't see how that, in and of itself, can cause the major delays. Sure, it could be part of it but it isn't THE reason.

CL, does the act 'require' the cards to be out in 20 days, or does it state that if they aren't out in 20 days the paperwork is presumed approved? It would seem to me that if anyone was actually violating the law on the 20 day issue, it would be the police by refusing to accept the paperwork on face value. Please clarify.

Then you people are using the wrong terminology! Your CareGiver is registered/tied to you. Either you grow your own or you designate a CG. Its one or the other. Someone you 'hire' for assistance is not your CG! He may be a CG/patient but if he is not YOURS - He can not supply you with meds & he is not allowed in your grow room! If you were 'visited' & he was in your room you could both be arrested. Thats what this whole 'locked secured room' is all about.

Only one person can have the 12 plants..Either you or a cg..You can have plants and have a caregiver..but only one can have plants.If hes cg for others..he could simply transfer a cpl plants up to 12 to you..Thats if you have room..But only one person can have possesion of the 12 plants.

i dont see the connection between cg and pharmacist....maybe its just a bad analogy? Do we ever take our pills with a pharmacist in the room? I was under the impression that a caregiver also aided in the use....im not saying this allows for or excuses use.... im saying it puts a caregiver in a spot that no pharmacist is ever in. helping, being right there....sitting in a chair holding the roach clips for a shaking pt.... i have seen it.

I sent out new paperwork on June 28 and June 29. I had 2 of my caregiver cards on July 21, and had the final CG card and my Patient card by July 28. I never had my paperwork clear that fast. But I will obtain a copy of my brothers letter regarding the CG/Patient loophole they've created, I think he still has it; mine was recycled long ago.

CL, does the act 'require' the cards to be out in 20 days, or does it state that if they aren't out in 20 days the paperwork is presumed approved? It would seem to me that if anyone was actually violating the law on the 20 day issue, it would be the police by refusing to accept the paperwork on face value. Please clarify.

yea please respond! I respect you and want your opijion! I respect your opinion,should I say why?

Peace

Jim

Im only her c.g, she is not mine, I have a c.g and he dont live in the same house as me, he has been my c.g for 2 yrs and im going on 2 yrs as her c.g, so we only have 1 of our plant rights! Im sure hoping this is different than what happened to you, Thank you for sharing!

Best of luck to you!

Peace

Jim

I sent out new paperwork on June 28 and June 29. I had 2 of my caregiver cards on July 21, and had the final CG card and my Patient card by July 28. I never had my paperwork clear that fast. But I will obtain a copy of my brothers letter regarding the CG/Patient loophole they've created, I think he still has it; mine was recycled long ago.

Thanks