Slew Of Marijuana Bills On Mi Senate Calendar 8/15/12

The Michigan legislature will be in session for one more day this summer, which is wednesday of this week. I took a look at the calendars, and the senate has the following bills potentially up for vote on its agenda:

SB 17 (Ban marijuana "clubs")

SB 377 (Opens the registry to law enforcement)

SB 418 (Bans patients from suing the state, local governments, or police for violation the MMMA)

SB 504 (Removes protections for patients and caregivers who "distribute" marijuana within 1000 feet of a church or school)

SB 974 (Bans the medical use of marijuana on private property against the wishes of the owner, AND bans the medical use of marijuana on portions of private property that may be accessed by the public)

SB 977 (Removes glaucoma from the list of qualifying conditions)

See for yourself:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%280grt3p45dflwpvezkigzn245%29%29/documents/2011-2012/Calendar/Senate/htm/2012-sc-08-15-062.htm

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this looks really bad!

so these are the 'ammendments' to the bills they are going to 'slip' in--

yikes!

how does this play for the proposed 'provision centers' we keep hearing about?

I mean anyone that decides to check should realize that there is virtually no city limit that is out of reach of the 1000ft rule--

that tells me that the folks advocating distribution models should be worried.....this leaves them wide open to prosecution at the will of the prosecuters---------that's what it looks like--

could be 'selective' prosecution--political and such....there is a lot of nepotism involved with clubs and dispensaries

I guess if your dad is the judge you wouldn't have to worry....or if you were buying the lunches of the DA and his friends

we should all be worried for the law if this is the case---regardless of your sentiments towards dispensaries!

Edited by purple pimpernel

HB 4853 Rep. McBroom Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; sentencing guidelines for crime of selling or providing medical marihuana to unprescribed user; implement.

This is the entrapment bill. Real police w/ fake cards are unprescribed users.

This bill is just sentencing guidelines for a crime committed under 333.26424(k) from what I can tell. It isn't creating a crime it is just providing guidelines for sentencing a crime that is already in existence per the MMA.

Recognize what MM is and why the world is hell bent on keeping it sealed up; nothing I see above helps anyone but those who are ignorant and hell bent on imposing their will on the populous. Their is nothing Holy about keeping it away from those whom God has given His Spirit.

This bill is just sentencing guidelines for a crime committed under 333.26424(k) from what I can tell. It isn't creating a crime it is just providing guidelines for sentencing a crime that is already in existence per the MMA.

There are already laws in place for what happens when non approved people have marijuana.

There are already laws in place for what happens when non approved people have marijuana.

This isn't about what you can be convicted of is what I am saying. This is about putting the conviction (once it occurs) into the sentencing guidelines grid. It is categorizing the crime, it isn't making the penalty worse. The penalty is already set by the MMA--2 year felony. This isn't changing that.

This isn't about what you can be convicted of is what I am saying. This is about putting the conviction (once it occurs) into the sentencing guidelines grid. It is categorizing the crime, it isn't making the penalty worse. The penalty is already set by the MMA--2 year felony. This isn't changing that.

So, the bill would just puts MCL ###.### in front of - (k) Any registered qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver who sells marihuana to someone who is not allowed to use marihuana for medical purposes under this act shall have his or her registry identification card revoked and is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both, in addition to any other penalties for the distribution of marihuana.

Is that correct?

So, the bill would just puts MCL ###.### in front of - (k) Any registered qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver who sells marihuana to someone who is not allowed to use marihuana for medical purposes under this act shall have his or her registry identification card revoked and is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both, in addition to any other penalties for the distribution of marihuana.

Is that correct?

No, it takes that section of the MMA, (K), and puts it into the sentencing guidelines.

So as not to cause confusion, I don't know if Longharibri's comment above was in reference to my and mememe's discussion. I far as I know the no felony requirement to become a cg is still in the bill. I was not addressing that bill I was addressing HB 4853. The no felony rule is alive and kicking from what I am aware. It seems a bit unfair to disallow a convicted felon from caregiving without some sort of restrictions. Maybe a family exception, a felony-type exception, and a sunset provision? I don't know for certain but I would guess that a felony conviction doesn't bar a pharmacist from working in perpetuity. Anyway, I know I'm preaching to the choir here...

Maybe not in perpetuity, but Michigan Public Health code requires mandatory suspension of a licensed health professionals license upon conviction of a felony. Good luck getting license reinstated.

No, it takes that section of the MMA, (K), and puts it into the sentencing guidelines.

So as not to cause confusion, I don't know if Longharibri's comment above was in reference to my and mememe's discussion. I far as I know the no felony requirement to become a cg is still in the bill. I was not addressing that bill I was addressing HB 4853. The no felony rule is alive and kicking from what I am aware. It seems a bit unfair to disallow a convicted felon from caregiving without some sort of restrictions. Maybe a family exception, a felony-type exception, and a sunset provision? I don't know for certain but I would guess that a felony conviction doesn't bar a pharmacist from working in perpetuity. Anyway, I know I'm preaching to the choir here...

More important than speaking to your reps is to write letters to the editor of your local paper and bring attention to the issue among everyday people. We already tried not protesting and just writing letters, and it resulted in bills passing with 90%+ margins. Really think it'll work this time?

It's a good idea, but I'm worried about the belief here that they actually are honest people trying to do the right thing. Most of them are not. They hate all of us, they want us in prison and our lives destroyed, they care little for anyone but themselves and those who donate to their campaigns. The overwhelming majority of them are more of a threat to our lives and our freedom than Bin Laden ever was. And of course, the level of corruption is unbelievable.

The only way to whip them into line is to create an uproar in the media over the issue - we need a protest. I haven't seen so much as a whimper in the press about this lately... politicians are like witches, they melt and burn in the sun, and right now it's a moonless night.

Edited by purklize

An uproar or televised protest sounds drastic.

A calculated casual approach, can demonstrate how meek and flexible we all are. I'll grab hand and politely ask to not have my future flushed. Makes sense right?

Maybe sit back and see how it all plays out, been feeling pacified lately (chem trails, or misdirection can't really say...). Protesting would be a typical counter-culture advancement. Plus that one guy I don't like could have something to do with a protest, so for that reason too it's stupid. Ok, so I was being a tad facetious.

We have one chance, does anyone feel there is any merit to placing faces to the nearly 150,000 plus patients or caregivers? We all remember that 90% of ppl of this mmma site have been strictly opposed to rallies in the recent past, for god only knows what true reason... but I'm sure a choice few may remind us why it's the right thing to do (stay home ?) when our collective future rests in the balance. We need media to document our voters outcry. Otherwise we'll have sucker politians telling the public that they worked with medical marijuana delegates to help come up with these proposed changes, like we all actually agreed to them in advance.

Go out, spill some coffee on your reps, tell em you sob story, but please don't draw too much attention to our situation by attending a protest or rally. Oh, remember it didn't work for the teachers union so it's a forgone conclusion it won't do much for meek medical patients.

Oh, I don't mean raising hell - just anything that draws the attention of the public. The legislators who have it out for us are praying we keep things quiet, between just us and them. We may be screwed anyway, but if we have a chance, it will be by getting the public enraged about the BS going on in Lansing. We are far too few to make the legislators fear for their jobs... we need the general public involved.

I guess a better way of putting it is that our primary target audience should be the public, not Lansing.

Edited by purklize

Well if you were to plan a protest, how would you do it. What is your specific message and the goals of the protest, who will be there, how will you do the sound, setting, etc. What should the signs look like and say? We going to all wear green shirts?

Who wants to take responsibility to plan this? Get the venue, get the word out, etc?

If we don't have a protest, how do we propose to make our message sink home? Zap suggested coffeehouse meeting directly with reps. I've suggested specific letters tell YOUR rep YOUR story and enclosing a photo of your family to show the rep the face of medical marijuana in THEIR district. What other ideas are there?

An analogy that comes to mind is that between an extortionist and the extorted. They want you to come to them to try to talk them out of screwing you, so that you don't go to the press or the police (of course the cops don't apply here, but the point should be clear). Naturally they will try to convince you this is the worst possible course of action, they will maim and kill your first born if you do so, etc. but it really is the only option other than capitulation.

Edited by purklize

the ban on felons is in the Senate bill revision hb 4851, page 4 line 20...."Primary caregiver or caregiver means a Michigan resident who is at least 21 years old and who has agreed to assist with a patient's medical use of marihuana and who has never been convicted of a felony."

they removed the words involving illegal drugs from the sentence end....

CPU recommends one or more of the following:

a ten year sunset on felons ban after being a good citizen

allowing a caregiver and patient to sign an affidavit showing all are aware of a felony on the caregiver's record

allowing a caregiver with a felony to caregive for a relative

ban assaultive felony convictions from being a caregiver, but sunsetting all other felonies after ten years.

We do not know if any of these will be workable, but after a year of attempts, one more try is worthwhile....realize this is truly an uphill fight no matter how unfair the requirement. Heaven forbid but in the public's mind eye, felons are low hanging fruit and easy to punish in perpetuity.

But it is not law yet....

CPU recommends one or more of the following:

a ten year sunset on felons ban after being a good citizen

allowing a caregiver and patient to sign an affidavit showing all are aware of a felony on the caregiver's record

allowing a caregiver with a felony to caregive for a relative

ban assaultive felony convictions from being a caregiver, but sunsetting all other felonies after ten years.

We do not know if any of these will be workable, but after a year of attempts, one more try is worthwhile....realize this is truly an uphill fight no matter how unfair the requirement. Heaven forbid but in the public's mind eye, felons are low hanging fruit and easy to punish in perpetuity.

But it is not law yet....

Im good with that its much better than just banning all felons reguardless of offense.

It is sad to say, but this is one of those stupid uphill fights. I have literally discussed it hundreds of times in the last year with Reps and Sens. At least by being soooo harsh, Sen Jones leaves us a new angle to put before the legislature. The truth is they are as fatigued and sick of mmj as we are in arguing with them. Hopefully we can get some calmer heads to listen. The harsh reality is Sen Jones is a very powerful man, and there are no guarantees available presently....

There is no magic bullet or secret words. This is all about trust and getting people to really listen....