Will Co2 Extinguish My Gas Water Heater Pilot?

I've been seeing some interesting ideas for generators on youtube, and now wondering since I have never had a gas water heater, whether or not CO2 in the room wouuld extinguish the pilot light in my water heater. I believe this would be located near the floor, but not sure, and was wondering if anyone has experience or could comment. Thanks!

I've been seeing some interesting ideas for generators on youtube, and now wondering since I have never had a gas water heater, whether or not CO2 in the room wouuld extinguish the pilot light in my water heater. I believe this would be located near the floor, but not sure, and was wondering if anyone has experience or could comment. Thanks!

CO2 displaces oxygen. So in theory, it definitely could put out the pilot. The thermocouple on the hot water heater should shut down the gas right away though. Those generators don't put off much CO2. If you were running tanks, then you would be more likely to reach a level to extinguish the pilot.

I agree /w Rustorian the CO2 could extinguish the flame IF it has one. Mine has electronic ignition, so that wouldn't be a factor, if yours has Elec. Ignition.

Mine also has a cold air supply which is a 6" round duct to a dryer like grille on the outside [by Building Code] to an open end appx 6" from the burner but on the OS of the tank.

(Would work for you if Pilot wont stay lit !)

Typically this is open, however mine is plugged shut to disable it since it competes with the heat in winter and AC during the summer.

I'm sure I'll find another use for it someday [the air duct]. Like when I hook up my CO2 Generator and want to flush it back out ?

( Currently not growing and hard pressed to beat my current CG. Lookin forward to be set up for Xmas, anyways )

Having trouble with my sump now, I have to re-arrange the float travel as its having a hard time to find its Gspot.... Pilot wont light when its under water either.

Good Luck !

Thanks Folks, I will check it out, guess I am showing my age a bit. Now, how will I get around when the snow and ice hit, hmmmmm? Been told my mustang isn't going to work here, DOH! Have a bus stop really close, so gotta see where it goes and whether it runs in snow and ice. Was pretty nippy last night when I went out for a breather - is this August?? ;~}

Any concentration of CO2 high enough to put out your pilot light is high enough to put out you. Concentrations of CO2 measured in full percents cause problems for humans. Remember the movie Apollo 13?

I am traveling and don't have time to check but it would be interesting to see how much it would take to put out a flame and what effect that level would have on the excretion of CO2 from your blood (it works on a gradient across the cell membrane, if it is the same on both sides, you can't excrete CO2).

Just a medical moment.

I agree /w Rustorian the CO2 could extinguish the flame IF it has one. Mine has electronic ignition, so that wouldn't be a factor, if yours has Elec. Ignition.

Mine also has a cold air supply which is a 6" round duct to a dryer like grille on the outside [by Building Code] to an open end appx 6" from the burner but on the OS of the tank.

(Would work for you if Pilot wont stay lit !)

Typically this is open, however mine is plugged shut to disable it since it competes with the heat in winter and AC during the summer.

I'm sure I'll find another use for it someday [the air duct]. Like when I hook up my CO2 Generator and want to flush it back out ?

( Currently not growing and hard pressed to beat my current CG. Lookin forward to be set up for Xmas, anyways )

Having trouble with my sump now, I have to re-arrange the float travel as its having a hard time to find its Gspot.... Pilot wont light when its under water either.

Good Luck !

spelling slobbertan? LOL

Any concentration of CO2 high enough to put out your pilot light is high enough to put out you. Concentrations of CO2 measured in full percents cause problems for humans. Remember the movie Apollo 13?

I am traveling and don't have time to check but it would be interesting to see how much it would take to put out a flame and what effect that level would have on the excretion of CO2 from your blood (it works on a gradient across the cell membrane, if it is the same on both sides, you can't excrete CO2).

Just a medical moment.

Here is the link that made me wonder, no monitor involved, but either the gas or bubbles put out the flame. I had BAD problems with mold when I was in Fl and assumed it was related to CO2, but may have beeh the dozen or so aquariums I kept indoors (as well as outdoors). Fish are gone now, and have dehumidifier, but still a little concerned elevated CO2 will lead to mold. I do recall mild headaches, when using a bottle via the manual valve and 1 mississippi 2 mississippi method, but that was a long time ago! ;~}

Yeah, that is what I am talking about, I am not sure if the test was in a hood (small area, lots of CO2= high concentration) and obviously the low lying areas (like the pilot light down on the floor) could have a problem. The headaches lead me to believe the concentration was getting high.

Yeah, that is what I am talking about, I am not sure if the test was in a hood (small area, lots of CO2= high concentration) and obviously the low lying areas (like the pilot light down on the floor) could have a problem. The headaches lead me to believe the concentration was getting high.

The headaches may have been related to mold also, which I eventually found behind some curtains, and had to do some chem warfare to eliminate namely bleach and lots of air circulation.