Newbie Here Needs Help With Ebb And Gro Nutrients/flush And Drain Schedule Be

Hi everyone! I just recently obtained my MMM Card in the mail, (as well as my spouse) and set up my grow room. I am a complete newbie here, starting out with flood and drain system, I have 12 clones in buckets and also have 7 clones in dirt, have them all in a 9 x 12 room, using a 1000 watt HS Sodium light attached to the ceiling which is 10 foot high. I have several different clones that are in pairs, (one in the dirt and one in the bucket) using Hydroton pellets. This is only day 3 from purchasing the clones, filling the 55 gallon bucket, and mixing the Technaflora Starter Kit formula per directions for each gallon, I filled the tub up half way per Ebb and Grow instructions.

I have 2 learners book that I have reading, Marijuana Horticulture The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible by Jorge Cervantes and The Cannabis Grow Bible by Greg Green.

After mixing the nutes according to directions, I came across one of the books stating that I only need to use 30-70 % Nutes mixture or I will burn them,, so I filled the 55 gallon bucket up to 75% to cut down on the strength. I have adjusted my PH twice, before I added the nutes, then the next day.

I have my flood/drain set to every 4 hours, 6 times a day, per one of the books that stated small clones need to be flooded and roots kept moist and it recommended to do it 6-10 times per day. Clones are in rockwool cubes lowered in the buckets about 4 inches. I know they are all getting wet because I can see the water/nutes almost at the top of the Hydroton pellets.

Plants in dirt appear great other than 2 showing signs of transplant shock, plants in Hydro have different symptoms, some of them are bright green, like a light bright green and others are having dried up tips turning brown.

What the heck am I doing wrong???

I'm sure I did not give enough info so please let me know what else you need. I do realize that the light system I have is overkill for this stage of growing according to what I have been reading, but I had already purchased the system before studying on the subject, I am learning as I go though.

Welcome to the wonderful world of marijuana cultiavation. You're taking many of the right steps. The Cervantes book IS the grow bible that the vast majority of people use and it is great.

When transplanting, and when dealing with small plants, you definitely want to keep your nutrients watered down. What I do is transplant them from the cloner (I use an aeroponic cloner so no rockwool or anything) to hydroton and plain water for a week to let the roots get well established. Of course you thoroughly washed the hydroton before putting the plants in it, right? Generally, the clones will have enough stored nutrients during this time so you really don't need to feed them. Then they go into a 50% strength nutrient solution for about 2 weeks. THEN into full strength veg nutrients. Keep in mind, when I say full strength, I"m probably only talking 75% of manufacturer's recommendation. I run my veg at 1000-1100 ppm.

In general, soil is a more forgiving grow for newbies, as the soil acts as a buffer for all the bone-headed mistakes you'll make during your first few runs. Not an insult there, even the most professional growers made boneheaded moves when they were first learning.

You're on the right track. Your flood/drain cycles should be fine. As an aside, how's your water? City or well? If it is city, make sure that you are leaving it out 24 hours minimum before using it to allow chlorine to evaporate. Clones are especially vulnerable and chlorine in the water can exacerbate transplant shock and kill'em quick. (Remember how I said we ALL make boneheaded mistakes while learning...)

EDIT: Oh, I tried the technaflora starter before and completely agree with what the above poster said. Switched to Dutch Master and haven't looked back...

Edited by LansingAreaCaregiver

i used technaflora recipe for success for a year or more and it is a very hot mix if you mix it according to the recipe. your plants are young so mix it at a minimum of half of what the recipe calls for for a couple weeks or more and pick up a tds meter if u dont have one as well as a ph meter. once the plants mature for a couple weeks take it up to 700 or 800 parts per million, after a month total take it to 1000 ppm. for me whenever i went over 1000ppm with technaflora the plants would suffer. i switched to a popular nute many here are using which is the dynagrow line, its cheaper in price for one and its very forgiving.

I need to learn so much,, what is a tds meter? I have a ph kit that I picked up from a local grow shop, but I don't like it. It is not as accurate as the kit I had for my previous hot tub, this kit states to fill vial halfway, then add 3-5 drops, then add sparingly UP OR DOWN and keep measuring,,, this is silly,,, my hot tub kit had exact measurements and stated how much per gallons to add up or down, I dont like this PH Kit hubby got from the grow shop,,,,

So what should I do at this point? Just wait and see what happens till it's time to change my water rez? Then mix with 50% nutes? I really want my Hydro 12 to outgrow hubbys 7 dirts, lol!

I will take any pm messages and talk on the phone for additional help! You all are great, I have been lurking around since June learning from this website but not commenting,,,, I have learned so much so far from you all,,, thank u for all the help!!!

I need to learn so much,, what is a tds meter? I have a ph kit that I picked up from a local grow shop, but I don't like it. It is not as accurate as the kit I had for my previous hot tub, this kit states to fill vial halfway, then add 3-5 drops, then add sparingly UP OR DOWN and keep measuring,,, this is silly,,, my hot tub kit had exact measurements and stated how much per gallons to add up or down, I dont like this PH Kit hubby got from the grow shop,,,,

The kit you got is what I use to this day for pH monitoring. I've had (and still use) electronic pH meters, but there is nothing that beats the reliability of the ol' drops. For now, definitely water down your nutrient solution. If it were me I'd taken it to 50% of its current strength. At this point, you're just trying to get the root system solid following the transplant. Bad things happen when you try to push too hard too fast, and right now less is more with the nutrients. They need very little until they're WELL rooted. Besides, it always easier to add a few more nutes than it is to nurse a plant back to health after overfertilizing it. Also, you say you're using 1000 watt HPS. You'd be better off using a metal halide at this point. If your clones are still small (6 inches) then you'd probably do even better using CFLs until the roots are well established. Again, it pays to be slow and gentle with them.

Most of all, as was said, don't be too hard on yourself. Growing is extremely rewarding, but like anything there is a learning curve. I have a buddy/patient who until recently never even checked his pH...some of his plants died, others did fine and grew pretty well. There is always more to learn, but don't get too intimidated by all the ins and outs. Before running, learn to walk, grasshopper. :)