Tinctures, Oils And Hash Oh My!

Many people get confused between Simpsons Oil ( aka Phoenix Tears, RS Oil, etc ), Butane extractions, Alcohol extractions, Hash oils, cold water extractions, the list goes one. I am focused on Alcohol tinctures myself; almost anyone can do them, they're more easily dosed, fast acting and very effective. But I also use the residual solids for ointments and lotions. I have an old ISO and an ISO-2. Both are virtually identical, and both do a superb extraction job. I've had the one for 30 years; had the instructions but lost them. Read them so much as a kid I had them memorized anyhoo! I have made some universe rattling hash oil with them, and the raw tinctures are excellent. I've used chloroform and alcohol ( potable and isopropyl ) as solvents. I know the machine my way and the company way. Other ISO owners; what are your techniques? Do you use the acid much, different solvents, found some tricks maybe? I can answer any questions you may have regarding their use as well.

Edited by Scooter

I have 2 ISO 2's. When you first mentioned the machine, back in early '09, I knew I had to have one. I now have two to help keep up with regualtions. I have the original instructions if you want a copy. One of mine came new in the original box. Like it came here in a time machine. I've been running these for years now and know them well. When I first started out I was very interested in all the ways to use the machine. I heard talk of 'The Acid' trick. Even bought some high grade acid. Never tried it though. I have found ways to make the oil just the way all of us (patients) like it without any extra procedures. I did try to find recipes for the oil. Then gel caps dawned on me. Since then, I never cook with it. We just put the required dose in a gel cap and down the hatch. Go eat a cookie then if you want one. I feel like an expert with these machines now. I think I've made all the mistakes. Found most all the tricks. Tried using Bill&Chris's idea about the charcoal filtering. It worked. But it made the oil so strong I get a little over dose when I vape it through the water piece. I find that we like a little plant wax and sugars in the oil to help control the dosage. These machines are a little piece of the 70's. They stand the test of time like the champs they are. Simple and effective.

I had the charcoal slurry unit for making honey oil and whew! it was too strong!I agree, it seems that some plant matter does help. Have you ever had any almost mushroom-like effects? I've had that from time to time, and read about a little known member of the THC family called THC-11-hydroxy ( or THC-hydroxy-11? ) that is more powerful than delta-9, and has hallucinatory effects. But it is found in low concetrations and is destroyed well below combustion level ( 120 degrees ) so oral ingestion is the only way to get it. There are a few variations of the THC molecule, but this one I'd like to see if I can breed a strain with elevated levels. BUt I use both of my ISOs to make tincture all the time; just the alcohol and the marihuana works excellent. I have zero waste; the leaves make a surprisingly powerful tincture. It's as strong as bud extractions, but only lasts about 1/3 the time. 80 to 100 grams is my ideal extraction; 10 ml in a glass of limeade and it's happy trails in about 10 minutes.

I had the charcoal slurry unit for making honey oil and whew! it was too strong!I agree, it seems that some plant matter does help. Have you ever had any almost mushroom-like effects? I've had that from time to time, and read about a little known member of the THC family called THC-11-hydroxy ( or THC-hydroxy-11? ) that is more powerful than delta-9, and has hallucinatory effects. But it is found in low concetrations and is destroyed well below combustion level ( 120 degrees ) so oral ingestion is the only way to get it. There are a few variations of the THC molecule, but this one I'd like to see if I can breed a strain with elevated levels. BUt I use both of my ISOs to make tincture all the time; just the alcohol and the marihuana works excellent. I have zero waste; the leaves make a surprisingly powerful tincture. It's as strong as bud extractions, but only lasts about 1/3 the time. 80 to 100 grams is my ideal extraction; 10 ml in a glass of limeade and it's happy trails in about 10 minutes.

Mushroom like effects;

I have been to the point that I don't want to move and get some flashes in my vision. I get time distortion, and some kind of motion distortion, where things seem to be moving when they are standing still. Usually when I get these extreme effects the nausea is close behind. Never threw up but I know it was close. I adjust my dose to below couch lock, which is about half of what it takes to get to mushroom land. Dosage is definitely on a case by case basis.

And I did start evaporating it down and putting it in gel caps, but it got messy and the caps can get soft. I've found that leaving a small amount of alcohol in it and storing it in a small eyedropper vial works well.

I take all the alcohol out and store it in glass syringes. When I want to dispense it I warm it up a little. I put it in the gel cap just before it will be used. I find the gel caps stay stable for at least a few hours or days, depending on the wax content of the oil.

I never thought of that. 30 day packages would get messy in a week or so, so I kept them refrigerated but again, regulations and all that. I am trying to increase turpene production as well. I don't want to add artificial turpenes, rather I want to increase the amount and/or the concentration of each strains natural essences. They all already have excellent flavors, and I don't want to mess with their genetics as all but 2 are IBL, and I don't have the plant room nor facilities to play geneticist right now.