Medical Marijuana For Chronic Daily Headache

Hi all. First time poster here. My name is Matt. I'm 17, and I live around the Plymouth-Canton area near Ann Arbor. I'll be turning 18 soon and I have a few questions that I hope some of you might be able to answer. But first I'll give you a little information about myself.

I've been diagnosed by a neurologist as having a condition called 'chronic daily headache'. This means left untreated, I have headaches almost everyday. This might not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, and I know a lot of people who use medical marijuana have much more serious conditions than mine (cancer, glaucoma, AIDS) but headaches can still have a big impact on your life. My headaches are very painful. They are of mixed migrane and tension type and while they are not always this bad I have missed school before because I've been in too much pain to function. And not only do my headaches cause me pain, they leave me feeling mentally foggy and depressed. Plus it just gets tiring to have headaches everyday.

Right now I'm taking perscription medications for my headaches. I take an anti-seizure medication called Topamax to try and prevent me from having headaches. And when I do have headaches, I take an opiate medication called Tramadol to abort them. Before taking Topamax, I was taking Elavil. I was switched to Topamax because Elavil was not working and its side effects were intolerable. The problem I'm having now, is that my Topamax is not working very well to prevent my headaches, and both the Topamax and the Tramadol have side effects that I'm growing tired of.

Like a lot of people I was not introduced to cannabis for its medical benefits initially and I am currently not a registered patient in the state of Michigan. What I have found though is that cannabis is highly beneficial for me in treating my condition. Not only does it eliminate the pain of a migrane if I use it when a headache comes on, but I've found that if I use cannabis once every couple of days, the frequency of my headaches is greatly reduced. I'm honestly not looking to "just get high". I know that there's a stigma with teenagers using cannabis but I honestly feel like it's the only medicine that helps me. I'll be 18 in October and I feel like I'm old enough to make this decision for myself with a doctor's approval. This plant has already greatly improved my quality of life and I just want to be able to use the plant that helps me legally and without fear.

Anyway enough about me. (Sorry if I sounded a bit whiney.) I'll get to the point now. I have two questions that I hope you all can help me with:

1. I know headaches/migraines are not listed as an approvable condition by themselves under the MMMA, but in your (non-professional, non-legal, non-medical, personal, ect.) opinion would I be likely to qualify as a patient under the "severe and chronic pain" provision of the act.

2. Would you have any advice for explaining all of this to parents who are somewhat hostile to cannabis? My parents caught me using cannabis recreationally before and weren't too happy about it. They were more worried than anything else, but they weren't too pleased. I don't know how I could explain to them that this is different. I don't know if they would believe me. But this really is a completely different thing. It's not about getting high. I just don't want to have pain anymore, and I'm sick of the side effects of the pharmasuticles. That's it.

Thank you all so much to anyone who takes the time to read this. I sincerely appreciate the input of anyone. Have a wonderful day.

Up until about four years ago I had suffered with migraine my whole life. For 27 years I had them frequently. I find that one can function reasonably with moderate body pain, but head pain tends to put one down. Migraines are hell, and frequent headaches definitely reduce one's quality of life. I only wish that I had had mmj back then. All the pharmacuticals did very little, except for some of the abortive meds. You may want to try the Michigan Head Pain and Neurological Institute in Ann Arbor. They tried, but couldn't help me much, but they do help many people and maybe they can help you. They're real stingy with pain meds though, because they can cause rebound headaches. The problem with that is that I never had a headache where I had adequate pain relief. However, if you've gone the medical route and it hasn't helped, then go for the mmj. Your attitude seems good, especially when you say that you don't just want to get high.

Have you explained your situation to your parents? I have a daughter your age and I would do anything to help her if she were suffering. Maybe you could find articles online where people explain how mmj helped their headaches, while you explain to them how it has helped you. Naturally they will be concerned about you using mmj, especially since you had used it recreationally before. Perhaps you could put them in touch with Dr. Kenewell (in Troy. He's under the name "Dr. Bix") or Dr. Bob (frequently on this site) and they could explain to your parents the in's and out's of mmj. Coming from a doctor it could put their minds at rest. I'm not sure if frequent headaches would qualify you, but it sure is worth checking out. Good luck to you, and if you need to talk further about it feel free to pm me.

migranes are a qualifying disease in california. i wonder why there havent been any telemedicine clinics from california for michigan patients? i think michigan is also one of 3 states that allows mmj cards from other states.

constant headaches/pain would be chronic pain, under michigan mmj law. where chronic pain is a pain that lasts longer than the time it takes the body to heal. i think the definition of 'chronic pain' was 6months - 1year or more. i think its a joke to say how long pain must last until you can get relief but its a crazy world.

as for #2, the way i'd do it might not be the best. so i wont recommend it. basically its 'sink or swim'. its a long reply, i hope you dont get bored.

i would just get the rec from the doctor and register for the card. work with your doctor and make sure he/she is interested in documenting your mmj pain relief and any side effects. see if you can get your general doctor to also be ok with you using mmj. then i'd show them the card, show them the medical marijuana (yes, people can be frightened of a plant), show them the list of side effects from topamax and other migrane medication (for topamax, one side effect can leech calcium from bones, which is why doctors have been switching people to newer medications) side by side with the side effects from marijuana and find out what they say. tell them how topamax and tramadol works versus medical marijuana for you. ask them whats more important to them, your pain relief or marijuana? if you havent, let them know the extent of the pain you feel, describe it as accurately and descriptive as possible. then tell them what it feels like after you medicate with mmj.

bonus is if you have a really nice doctor, get the doctor and your parents in the same room, and have your doctor explain how he thinks this may help you better than opiates. having an authority , the doctor may be able to convince. other people who maybe able to convince your parents are other family members or friends of your parents who use mmj. even a mmj friendly religion employee (priest, rabbi, cleric, nun, etc) can help, at least dissuade fears of 'going to hell' for 'smoking the reefer'. if you or your parents are religious anyways.

but be responsible about it, and lay out the rules for your medication. which includes never taking it to school. never using it around friends, or bragging about it to friends or anyone, never sharing your medication with anyone. how you will be a safe driver at all times, and that you will call for a ride or get a taxi if you arent able to drive safely. also that you will only smoke outside and not in the house (and never in the car) if your parents wish. that you will try to use medibles if they work better than smoking/vaporizing for you. also that you can start it off as a trial, and that if it affects your concentration, life, personality, or school grades, you will stop using it. offer to only use it under their supervision if they wish. if they agree to it, they will get bored, and you can start harassing them by watching them take their medications ;).

be polite and articulate, which from your post, seems like you are doing an excellent job of doing. the worst thing they can say is no, or disown you haha. reherse what you are going to say, dont be nervous. expect some strong feelings from yourself (yes, you may get angry and or cry) and your parents (they may also get angry and or cry). they've had brainwashing propaganda like the reefer madness film all of their life, its hard to change that in a day. do not get into a shouting match, wait for others to speak, and reply accordingly. if tensions flare too much, ask that your discussion can continue later when everyone can cool off. if you do not know of an answer to their question, be sure to tell them that and that you will research it. maybe even offer them to meet with a mmj patient. who can say no to an aids or cancer patient using mmj? you may have to ask an oncologist about meeting with a mmj patient...

print out a copy of the mmj law, its not very long. show them the sections that protect the patient from harassment, penalties, and protect them from penalties if they are found near a patient who is medicating.

good luck, and if you have any other questions, please ask!

if you go through with it, let us know how it went and what helped, worked and didnt work. there are many people like you who need help and your experience can help them.

Edited by teethpain

Open honest dialogue, unless you are a politician, is always best.

Try talking to them, after much research, so you can back up your views with facts.

You could start with a discussion on high cbd strains. They are probably not even aware that relief can be had without getting high.

I can't even imagine them not being on your side on this one if they have all the relevant information.

Good luck.

Edited by I wood

• 2 weeks later...

Mww do you have asthma? The reason I ask is I have asthma and used to use 2 inhalers twice daily. I wondered for years why I had headaches every single day. Well it is a side effect of most asthma inhalers. I got my recommendation for chronic pain but I use it to control my asthma which allows me to not use inhalers as much naturally reduces my headaches :) no brainer for me but I am 42 and can make my own decisions. Just explain to your parents and if possible get articles from the inernet about MM and its uses. My parents do know and my mom is happy I found something that works so well with very few side effects.

• 2 years later...

Matt-

Are you still out there? This posting is 2+ years old. Your story is my also my son's story. He just turned 18. What has your journey been since this post? He has been suffering for years with Chronic Daily Headaches, plus Migraine days (every single day) -which seem to be more frequent recently despite more meds and he also found relief from trying marijuana, but we are afraid of street versions with any added chemicals. We have been to MHNI & Cleveland Clinic & many, many doctors, therapies and medications conventional and unconventional.

Were you able to get a MMM card for the headaches? Are you doing okay today?

-a worried Mom

Not sure if this helps but I was on all the meds mww13 stated he has been taking for headaches/migraines that made me sick and bed ridden for days, my longest lasting headache was about a week, and it kick my A## (took a few weeks to recover). During the worst of headaches, I was unable to open my eyes, talk, move if i moved i became sick, my head hurt to touch a pillow (laid my head on a heating pad) the muscles in my face begin to tighten to the point of being seen. 

I tried everything I could get my hands on to get rid of the pain, tried anything to knock myself out...nothing was helping. I was ready to cut my head off....

Then I had the nerves in my neck burned, i did this several times in several locations because they do reattach. 

My headaches are a lot fewer and farther between. And less intense.

Not sure if this will help, I only recommend asking a dr if this will help.

Sorry to hear others suffer so...

I suspect the headaches are not caused by a cannabis deficiency, but the herb may offer relief. those headaches are awful, sorry you all suffer from them. My wife was a life long sufferer until she guinea pigged herself at the kinesiologist I've seen since. IN only a visit he was able to identify and treat the issue with instant success. Cranial adjustments, jaw alignments, and a silly diet change...btw.....I think what we learn from all of this is that our situation may be unique to us with the reporting symptoms universal. some patients tell me a headache gets worse when they smoke marijuana, some use to avoid them. wherever relief can be found I'd run to it. My wife did not use mj before during or since.

good luck

Matt-

Are you still out there? This posting is 2+ years old. Your story is my also my son's story. He just turned 18. What has your journey been since this post? He has been suffering for years with Chronic Daily Headaches, plus Migraine days (every single day) -which seem to be more frequent recently despite more meds and he also found relief from trying marijuana, but we are afraid of street versions with any added chemicals. We have been to MHNI & Cleveland Clinic & many, many doctors, therapies and medications conventional and unconventional.

Were you able to get a MMM card for the headaches? Are you doing okay today?

-a worried Mom

i'm not matt, but if you have the medical records and treatment records for your son from the past 3+ years, in my opinion that would be enough to qualify him for medical marijuana. if marijuana helps your son, it is imperative that you get him registered with a card. anything to ease pain will help his quality of life in so many ways. at the very least, get a doctors recommendation, if you do not want to register. the recommendation alone provides some legal protections, but it is better to have a card...

there are many good drs in michigan, i'm not sure what location you are nearby.

heres a short list of good doctors who have clinics for mmj patients:

dr kumar singh in troy

dr bix in troy

dr mullen in plymouth

dr bob in locations around mid michigan

dr crocker in kalamazoo.

Were you able to get a MMM card for the headaches?

There shouldn't be any problem getting certified for a patient with severe chronic headaches, that's definitely severe and chronic pain. Make sure you bring copies of the medical records to the certifying doctor.

It may or may not help, but since it has no serious side effects it seems like it would be worth a try.

A patient can also qualify under the statute [section 3 (a) (2)] if he/she experiences any chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition, or it's treatment, which produces one or more of the following symptoms or side effects:

* cachexia or wasting syndrome;

* severe and chronic pain;

* nausea;

* seizures, including but not limited to those characteristic of epilepsy;

* severe and persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to those characteristic of multiple sclerosis