Study: Non-Psychotropic Cannabinoid “Proven To Be Safe” In Humans

http://blog.norml.org/2012/09/05/study-non-psychotropic-cannabinoid-proven-to-be-safe-in-humans/

by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director

September 5, 2012

http://blog.norml.org/2012/09/05/study-non-psychotropic-cannabinoid-proven-to-be-safe-in-humans/

The oral administration of the non-psychotropic cannabis plant constituent cannabidiol (CBD) is safe and well tolerated in humans, according to clinical trial data published online by the journal Current Pharmaceutical Design.

Investigators at Kings College in London assessed the physiological and behavioral effects of CBD and THC versus placebo in 16 healthy volunteers in a randomized, double-blind, crossover trial.

Investigators reported that the oral administration of 10 mg of THC was associated with various physiological and behavioral effects – such as increased heart rate and sedation – whereas the oral administration of 600 mg of CBD was not.

They concluded, “There were no differences between CBD and placebo on any symptomatic, physiological variable. … In healthy volunteers, THC has marked acute behavioral and physiological effects, whereas CBD has proven to be safe and well tolerated.”

A previous review of the use of CBD in human subjects, published in the scientific journal Current Drug Safety last year, similarly concluded that the compound was safe, non-toxic, and well tolerated.

Separate investigations of CBD have documented the cannabinoid to possess a variety of therapeutic properties, including anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, anti-epileptic, anti-cancer, and bone-stimulating properties. In recent years, patients in states that allow for the use of cannabis therapy, particularly California, have expressed an interest in plant strains that contain uniquely high percentages of the compound.

Cannabidiol, because it is an organic component of cannabis, is presently classified under federal law as a schedule I prohibited substance. Such substances are required by law to possess “a high potential for abuse,” “a lack of accepted safety … under medical supervision,” and “no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.”

Full text of the study, “Acute effects of a single, oral dose of d9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) administration in healthy volunteers” appears online in Current Pharmaceutical Design.

16 Responses to “Study: Non-Psychotropic Cannabinoid “Proven To Be Safe” In Humans”

Art Golden says:

September 5, 2012 at 9:30 pm

We need to abolish the DEA. Talk about government waste!

Chris in WI says:

September 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Every cannabinoid is safe, you cannot die from toxicity when consuming cannabis. The shafer commision in the 70′s stated this! This shows how stupid most Americans are. Cannabis is illegal beause oil, lumber, and petrochemical companies didn’t want to compete with hemp.

In 1935 the hemp decoritor was released in the US and then 2 years later bam it’s illegal. Then in feb of 1938 popular mechanics they published an article stating hemp was set to be the first $1billion crop. They didn’t realize it had been made illegal based on the testimony on a “scientist” who stated that after smoking cannabis he grew wings and flew around the world!?! It’s all public record… Look it up!

If they repeated lies to get us here; it’s up to us to repeat the truth until we undo this!!!

Ben says:

September 6, 2012 at 10:44 am

Cannabis, (and related products), remains illegal due to several reasons:

-1- voter mindsets based on media, not facts

-2- beer, cigarette, pharmaceutical, law enforcement, and, at least previously,

paper mills – all putting money into its negative reputation

-3- specific legal departments in the US are afforded HUGE budgets for drug prohibition-

and, being that marijuana is common

it is low-hanging fruit, and so MUST remain

Schedule I (to qualify for so much money)

-4- additionally, many departments are able to

keep/auction/resell/etc. many of the items

that they acquire in this process

In short:

Marijuana has remained illegal because the

voice of the people, has not collectively,

spoken up about its ridiculous standing as

an illegal drug, let alone Schedule I-

and our media, and school systems decry it

The government should only be able to educate,

and, if found to be relaying false or, as happens, biased and unscientific ‘evidence’ to

support its money collection efforts,

should be held accountable.

As it is, much scientific evidence has been accumulated, in spite of draconian laws and nonsensical efforts to keep it inaccessible.

The minds of America’s voters,

and those with ability to usefully voice their opinions, (via youtube, etc.),

should rally to correct this tragedy of justice.

bob manke says:

September 6, 2012 at 11:52 am

my name is open to all comers. I am on policebook/facebook if you like. I am an Iowa marijuana advocate. I am joined with Carl Olsen’s law suit and have appeared with him in district court to force Iowa to correct problems at law over pot. It has been blabbered that federal law trumps state law. true. what is of great interest to pot warriors and freedom lovers is that federal regulatory law/codes do NOT trump state law. pot is made illegal by a federal regulatory code and not by federal law. federal congress has specifically stayed out of making pot illegal by federal law. WE CAN GET TO THEM WITH THIS PATHWAY! Watch Carl Olsen take on the dea Oct 15. and contact me any time on policebook/fb. I got more you’ll like. bob manke, afraid of the federalies no more.

bob manke says:

September 6, 2012 at 11:53 am

my name is open to all comers. I am on policebook/facebook if you like. I am an Iowa marijuana advocate. I am joined with Carl Olsen’s law suit and have appeared with him in district court to force Iowa to correct problems at law over pot. It has been blabbered that federal law trumps state law. true. what is of great interest to pot warriors and freedom lovers is that federal regulatory law/codes do NOT trump state law. pot is made illegal by a federal regulatory code and not by federal law. federal congress has specifically stayed out of making pot illegal by federal law. WE CAN GET TO THEM WITH THIS PATHWAY! Watch Carl Olsen take on the dea Oct 15. and contact me any time on policebook/fb. I got more you’ll like. bob manke, afraid of the federalies no more.

Will Marcroft says:

September 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Michele Leonhart is a piece of bunny muffin for what she has done with the MMJ industry in the past few years. With all the evidence stacked up against the prohibition of Marijuana and the proven safety of it’s consumption, It’s just under negligence that her administration continues to treat the substance as if it was as destructive as Heroine and other more harmful substances.

Reed says:

September 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm

@Will Marcroft,

A petition should be started to force Leonhart (and the rest of the DEA, for that matter) to read and comprehend the research. Or something like that.

Sandeezy says:

September 6, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Very true Ben (post above).

As shown in this article, the medical benefits are real and it helps treat and sometimes helps prevent various illness’. In addition to hemp really competing with various industries, marijuana would take away business from all of these sickness’ it helps treat. These medical and pharmaceutical companies would lose business, and they really do not want to lose money. A majority of the population disagrees with its class 1 classification now and it is legal for medicinal use in many states, even the state all the lawmakers are, Washington D.C. It’s probably a matter of time until it is legalized. Medicine, tax revenue generated, hemp these are the three reasons it cannot be ignored.

tokerman says:

September 7, 2012 at 12:03 am

Well said on here. It is shameful how cannabis became outlawed and that alone should be reason enough for repeal of prohibition. In the name of jobs cannabis prohibition will continue. Previous blogger made an excellent point, that it’s only illegal through federal interstate regulatory laws but the is NO meaningful regulation being done at all! We must demand sensible regulation from the national departments charged to do it.

Sam Blake http://www.imarijuana.com says:

September 7, 2012 at 3:48 am

Yeah seriously its ridiculous that even CBD’s are under trial people need this stuff to survive serious disease. Marijuana prohibition has to come to an end, it just does not make sense!

Dave Evans says:

September 7, 2012 at 3:48 am

The CIA and the DEA are pretty darn flaky… The CIA seems to have developed many of our previous and current threats. The DEA wages war against US citizens in direct violation of the constitution. Both need retired, the sooner the better.

shawn says:

September 7, 2012 at 9:40 am

I don’t even understand what the point of the DEA is, aside from circumventing congress with “emergency schedule”. What substance has there ever been that is so dangerous that it would require essentially marshall law to enforce??? The DEA is unnecessary and the law enforcement duties should be handled by the FBI and Boarder Control and Customs – in other words, limited to constitutional interstate and international drug trafficking. And for god’s sake, end this “emergency scheduling” crap! No unelected official should ave the right to pass or modify laws!

Jerry Whiting says:

September 7, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Cannabis has come to mean “THC” and the more THC the better. Breeding has focused on high THC levels at the exclusion of CBD. In fact, if you get a plant with high CBD and little THC, it’s considered a failure by stoner stnadards.

We need to identify, clone, and cultivate high CBD marijuana because it’s CBD that puts the Medical in Medical Marijuana (MMJ).

Matt says:

September 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Cannabis reformers must unite and refuse to vote for politicians that support the status quo, including President Obama. Politicians will never listen unless they think there is a price to be paid. There are as many pot smokers as gays in the US and look how much political clout they have. They are united. Cannabis reformers must do the same thing.

Fed-Up says:

September 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I read that strains grown north of the 32 degree latitude naturaly revert to higher CBD ratios. Thats most of the United States! To bad the average American cant grow outside without being persecuted by drones or hella-copters…It’s gotten out of control.

George Washington and Abraham Lincoln grew it.But now days they would be considered low -level terrorist.remember when they taught stories about Johny Appleseed in grade school? He would probably be sued by Montsanto the way things are going now,he wouldnt be “authorised” to plant those mutant heirloom apple strains …haha.

But yeah,Most of the Southern States are the same distance from the equator as Afghanistan or Pakistan,areas where the high CBD- Indicas originated –Legalise it!

Fed-Up says:

September 8, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Correction: George Washington and (Thomas Jefferson grew it.

Abraham Lincoln smoked it:

‘Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” – Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

I applaud the intelligent folks who correctly call our sacred herb by its proper name, Cannabis. Those who continue to erroneously refer to it by that hate filled and racist 'M' word, should read Jack Herer's 'The Emperor Wears No Clothes' and they will see that the 'm' word along with 75 years of bad juju associated with it is a big part of the problem; that and utter laziness by the silent majority of the cannabis community.

Our gov't is not one that is of, by and for the People it is one of, by and for the People who participate. It is only a very small minority of the cannabis community who are standing up for everyone else because the majority of the cannabis community is too lazy to make an effort. If this were not true, LEO would not still be putting us in jail and seizing our assets because we choose to use an ancient healing plant as our medicine. Proof? Less than 50 cannabis activists statewide collected signatures for Prop 1 in 2008. To those who continue to sit while others work for you, a toothache in every tooth.

The Vietnam vets have a saying. Some Gave All, All Gave Some. More than a motto, a way of life. In the cannabis community some truly gave all, but most gave nothing, did nothing and continue to give and do nothing. No concerted at-large effort put forth and no real plan, so now, we have what we have because we deserve it. The silent majority of the cannabis community is deafening. Why they remain silent only they know, but they're not saying.

I have work to do. Letters to write. Legislators to contact. :bong2: