Pro-Medical Pot Groups Expecting 1,000 Wednesday

Pro-Medical Pot Groups Expecting 1,000 Wednesday

Medical marijuana advocates are expecting at least 1,000 people in front of the Capitol noon Wednesday to urge the Senate to put the brakes on legislation they feel will roll back the 2008 voter-initiated medical marijuana law.

The Senate is considering a four-bill package that puts some definition on a medical marijuana law that Sen. Rick JONES (R-Grand Ledge) said has created a "wild west" atmosphere in which "patients" receive the federally banned drug through questionable means.

But advocates say the bills create unique restrictions for medical marijuana users that violate their medical privacy information.

"The medical marijuana law has never really been implemented," said Joe CAIN of the National Medical Marijuana Coalition. "We've had people harassed, arrested, injured in some cases. Military tactics have been used against us."

The bills, they say, not only don't improve the situation, they make it worse. One mandates that medical marijuana be transported in the trunk of a car, a restriction not required of other prescription drugs. Another allows police to access some medical information to verify a medical marijuana user is using the substance appropriately.

Another requires physicians and patients have a relationship before a medical marijuana subscription written, which Cain said creates a barrier because many family doctors are scared to write such a prescription.

The Senate was slated to take up the four-bill package last week, but opted against it. The body isn't expected to take up the bills either Wednesday or Thursday, the only two days the upper chamber is meeting this week.

Senate Republican Spokeswoman Amber McCANN said the caucus didn't have any problems with the bills that came out of Jones' committee, but that the body had a number of housecleaning items it wanted to address this week.

She said the body could take up the bills before Lame Duck, but she couldn't commit one way or the other.

Advocates are concerned the new bills will go further underground with their medical marijuana use, making criminals of the sick.

Jones said he feels the bills add some security and legitimacy to medical marijuana put draw clear rules for everyone to follow.

"It's important for the police to know who can legally have medical marijuana," Jones said. "It protects patients because under these circumstances they have to be treated slightly differently."

Matt ABEL of NORML said he'd feel better about the bills if he felt Jones was sincere in his beliefs about helping medical marijuana patients. But since he knows Jones would rather put the proposal back in front of the voters (See "Should Voters Get Another Hit Of Medical Marijuana," 8/31/12), he thinks the bills are a "smoke screen" to change the law.

Giving police the ability to use information that ordinarily be protected under federal HIPPA regulations is troubling, he said.

"This would be the most aggressive access to the registry," Abel said.

http://www.mirsnews....?gid=3921#32757

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Another requires physicians and patients have a relationship before a medical marijuana subscription written, which Cain said creates a barrier because many family doctors are scared to write such a prescription."

Where can I get a medical marijuana subscription? I know I can't get a prescription but this subscription sounds intriguing.

I say let the voters vote again once the 2nd vote passes which we all know it will we need guarantees from legislators and the AG office that the law is then hands off.

I wouldnt be confident that it would pass again, remember the dispenses poping up everywhere even mm users were not ready to see 5 dispenses in houghton lake, with neon pot leafs, Im possitive alot of the non using mm public did not expect that either, and im pretty sure they wouldnt pass it as written the last time! If they thought their townes were going to be over run by weed stores! JMHO

Peace

Jim

Then you must not be looking at message boards across the state.

75% in favor of medical marijuana that ive seen everything from the monroe evening news to grand rapids facebook comments favor both legalization and medical it would likely pass by the original 63% or more.

your rite and neither are the majority of the baby boomers(reading the boards) who are our senior citizens and probably have the most votes in our society!

Peace

Jim

Edited by phaquetoo

I wouldnt be confident that it would pass again, remember the dispenses poping up everywhere even mm users were not ready to see 5 dispenses in houghton lake, with neon pot leafs, Im possitive alot of the non using mm public did not expect that either, and im pretty sure they wouldnt pass it as written the last time! If they thought their townes were going to be over run by weed stores! JMHO

Peace

Jim

That's the problem with small town denizens - they just don't have the "vision thing".

That's the problem with small town denizens - they just don't have the "vision thing".

I moved to small town amercia after i worked my butt off in detroit most of my life!

Peace

Jim

p.s amish4ganja, I would think you know more about small towns than me. :bong2:

edit= yea shoot its heck getting old, I dont have close vision any longer, either that or my arms are getting shorter!

Edited by phaquetoo

haven't been to houghton lake in a while but I am guessing the spaces that had the neon flashing signs are sitting empty. Much better to see a bunch of empty buildings for sure. Thats what I love most about the small town I live in. Main street is completely empty, no new businesses, no foot traffic to get in your way, and plenty of tumbleweed to gather.

I kid

I do know that when I talk to most folks in gaylord that do not have a card they always tell me the same thing when I ask them about dispensaries in there town. Standard answer "I thought they were all closed down"

Now we dont have any neon signs but they are still here, noone I have talked to seems to care one way or another.

your rite and neither are the majority of the baby boomers(reading the boards) who are our senior citizens and probably have the most votes in our society!

Peace

Jim

Not trying to argue but facebook shows you everything you need to know regarding posters most show pictures of themselves I'm not just talking about the pro medical and younger people its moms and pops professionals blue and white collar people as well speaking in support of the medical law some looking for decriminalization of it as well the tide is turning in Michigan and across the country and the world .

haven't been to houghton lake in a while but I am guessing the spaces that had the neon flashing signs are sitting empty. Much better to see a bunch of empty buildings for sure. Thats what I love most about the small town I live in. Main street is completely empty, no new businesses, no foot traffic to get in your way, and plenty of tumbleweed to gather.

I kid

I do know that when I talk to most folks in gaylord that do not have a card they always tell me the same thing when I ask them about dispensaries in there town. Standard answer "I thought they were all closed down"

Now we dont have any neon signs but they are still here, noone I have talked to seems to care one way or another.

No there not all empty, most went back to what they were doing in the space before, Im all for farm markets! Im not totaly against despense, I do like it personaly better on the low key if they are gonna be running , and as long as they dont take my grow rights away well go for it!

Peace

Jim

p.s I know there is a need for new pts who dont have old connections to have access to good mm, so im hoping all works out!

Really, I thought it was about being 'picked-on' by overzealous lawyers, law enforcement, legislators and whomever wants a piece of Michigan's Patients.

Come help protect Patients and Caregivers' Rights at The Capital at Noon.

and Caveat... Folks would be more than happy to see you there too. you don't have to be a patient to participate in standing-up. Abe 

Edited by abe supercro

Stop the Stupid Drug War !

Leave our Law Alone and Let us Live in Peace !

Canabis Heals

We'll remember your Vote Nov 16

Anything there you can relate too, Clector ?

Well slobbertan, I get that this is your vision of the message. My question is what the protest is being billed as. If I am a state senator considering voting on a bill regarding medical marijuana and I see a protest that is heavily seeded with NORML people (I'm aware I misspelled the acronym in my last post and shall edit shortly) then why would that influence my vote? Why would people that want decriminalization influence my vote on a medical bill? That's the problem. The last protest, I believe in April or May, was so heavily seeded with repealtoday people that the impression of anyone walking by would have been that it was a protest for decriminalization. Even the local Lansing news had mostly video shot of the repealtoday tables and signs. The problem is that the legislature sees something they feel needs fixed. People turning out to say marijuana should be legal won't convince them that they shouldn't "fix" the existing law. It probably would convince them of that IF they were considering decriminalizing because then there would be no point to the "fix." But they aren't considering that. So they're going to consider the "fix" regardless.

How much money do you think is spent just organizing this protest? Add in everyone's gas money, time off work, etc. I'm sure it is thousands of dollars. So that money is put forth just to present a polluted messsage that is watered down by the decriminalizing crowd. That money could be better spent buying a lobbyist, and people's time better spent calling/visiting their reps.

Is there a reason why a protest cannot be pulled off without MINORML and/or repealtoday people? What is the motive behind not making it about PURELY medical issues?

I will never understand why some of you steer people away from rallies with such zest. If leap helped sponsor the rally would it become a law enforcement rally?

What if state law enforcement held a protest for higher pay and invited along an organization called Pay Cops More So They Can Support The Local Donut Shop? So this coalition of donut shop owners has an agenda to get cops more pay so the owners can, in turn, make more money. How many citizens do you think would take the cops seriously at that protest?

What if oxycontin were to be outlawed because it was considered dangerous? As you may know there is a push for that due to the high level of abuse. However, some users claim it is the only thing that takes away certain pain. What if some users held a protest against banning oxy? What if they invited oxy abusers to the protest for extra warm bodies? Who would take that protest seriously?

Do you not see what is going on here? You need to start looking at this through the eyes of the general public and not just your green tinted glasses.