Protestors Want The Mma Changed.

http://www.statenews.com/index.php/article/2011/09/medical_marijuana_protest_held_at_capitol

But Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said the rally reinforced his view that most patients do not have serious medical conditions.

A number of people who talked to me (on the Capitol lawn) obviously were not sick,” Jones said. “It seems clear to me a large part of the crowd wants recreational marijuana.”

Jones, alongside several other legislators and Attorney General Bill Schuette, unveiled several legislative proposals last month designed to heighten penalties for those who abuse the law.

Jones said Wednesday the original law was intentionally vague, and many Michigan voters who voted for the act in 2008 were misled.

Although recent, the ruling did not have a direct effect on East Lansing, as no dispensaries have opened within the city limits.

Many student medical marijuana patients relied on the now-closed Michigan Avenue dispensaries.

As for the lack of Spartan white to compliment the existing green, East Lansing resident Donald Onweller was somewhat puzzled.

“I don’t know why there aren’t many kids out here supporting (the patients’ position),” Onweller said.

I can understand the wants and need for a rally or protest, I for one have attended and been on the steps during ones held in the past, But it seems we are doing nothing more than sending then a diluted message, to on lookers.. Its not just how I perceive it is how the press and media covers the story.

I thought I knew what the rally was for but the twist the media has placed on the rally has made me think otherwise, I'm thinking for all those that didn't attened. When they google the rally date, they read all the same things I have been reading yay we finnaly got some media coverage.. to bad none of it did any good besides the fact that we want the law changed (doesn't say why or what bills we are protesting none of that, LEGALIZATION, DECRIMINALIZATION) The pictures of the protest show the signs for those things, I didn't see one sign with the bills numbers on them simply big old decriminalize marijuana..

Here are the google links about the protest, it did get coverage a full spread when searched. None of it good for the reasons I thought this was held for?

CBS: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/09/07/medical-marijuana-advocates-plan-lansing-protest/

Lansing: http://www.capitalcitycaregivers.org/2011/09/02/protect-your-rightsprotest-sept-7th/

Toke of the Town: http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2012/09/marijuana_activist_launches_recall_of_michigan_att.php

The list goes on and on.. why don't we protest in front of court houses,spread the 300-500 people that make the hike to Lansing out to local court houses drones of people across the state not all at the same place but broken into small groups with the same agenda doing the same thing. Madison Hghts could have 50ppl picketing, Warren could have 50 ppl, troy, yoopers, etc etc..all on the same day and time.. vrs a tried and failed attempt at protesting in Lansing.. Anywho, thank you for those that did attend, I hope it was a pleasent experince for you all.. I just wish we weren't used as pawns, I really do think the message was overlooked.

Trix

:bong2:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me personally, I have spoken with a reporter from them media in the past. It went from talking points about my story to why Big Daddys should stay open for PT's.. NOT why I answered the phone for the interview...

Again I'm not against dispensaries, but my conversation with the media wasn't about them, yet was thrown in with all the other stories about them. My message was dilluted to nothing more than a story about dispensaries..

Trix

http://www.statenews...held_at_capitol

But Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said the rally reinforced his view that most patients do not have serious medical conditions.

A number of people who talked to me (on the Capitol lawn) obviously were not sick,” Jones said. “It seems clear to me a large part of the crowd wants recreational marijuana.”

Jones, alongside several other legislators and Attorney General Bill Schuette, unveiled several legislative proposals last month designed to heighten penalties for those who abuse the law.

Jones said Wednesday the original law was intentionally vague, and many Michigan voters who voted for the act in 2008 were misled.

Although recent, the ruling did not have a direct effect on East Lansing, as no dispensaries have opened within the city limits.

Many student medical marijuana patients relied on the now-closed Michigan Avenue dispensaries.

As for the lack of Spartan white to compliment the existing green, East Lansing resident Donald Onweller was somewhat puzzled.

“I don’t know why there aren’t many kids out here supporting (the patients’ position),” Onweller said.

I can understand the wants and need for a rally or protest, I for one have attended and been on the steps during ones held in the past, But it seems we are doing nothing more than sending then a diluted message, to on lookers.. Its not just how I perceive it is how the press and media covers the story.

I thought I knew what the rally was for but the twist the media has placed on the rally has made me think otherwise, I'm thinking for all those that didn't attened. When they google the rally date, they read all the same things I have been reading yay we finnaly got some media coverage.. to bad none of it did any good besides the fact that we want the law changed (doesn't say why or what bills we are protesting none of that, LEGALIZATION, DECRIMINALIZATION) The pictures of the protest show the signs for those things, I didn't see one sign with the bills numbers on them simply big old decriminalize marijuana..

Here are the google links about the protest, it did get coverage a full spread when searched. None of it good for the reasons I thought this was held for?

CBS: http://detroit.cbslo...ansing-protest/

Lansing: http://www.capitalci...otest-sept-7th/

Toke of the Town: http://www.tokeofthe...ichigan_att.php

The list goes on and on.. why don't we protest in front of court houses,spread the 300-500 people that make the hike to Lansing out to local court houses drones of people across the state not all at the same place but broken into small groups with the same agenda doing the same thing. Madison Hghts could have 50ppl picketing, Warren could have 50 ppl, troy, yoopers, etc etc..all on the same day and time.. vrs a tried and failed attempt at protesting in Lansing.. Anywho, thank you for those that did attend, I hope it was a pleasent experince for you all.. I just wish we weren't used as pawns, I really do think the message was overlooked.

Trix

Let me ask you this: From day one has Rick Jones ever shown a bit of compassion to any medical marijuana patient?

Has he ever had the courage to walk among us at the rally and talk to any of us?? The resounding answer to that question is NO he has not!!

He sits in our house an spouts anti medical marijuana propaganda like Tokyo Rose during WWII.

Know this if you disagree with what you perceive as our message at any rallly or protest you are more then welcome to make your own sign and join us there.

We stand for patient rights and the freedom of expression. So next time stand up come and speak with us hear what we have to say. Then at that point you or any other person can justly give an opinion of what they seen and heard. Until that time like many tunnel vision will obstruct your vision.

Wow you guys fell right into Rick Jones Trap,,,, Thanks dispensary people for Messing with our law good thing you have your sheep to stand by you as your take patients rights away,, Its a shame that people fall for the dispensary people.

sometimes i think that the people who set the rally up are working for the cops,, they sure helped Mr Jones out.

Edited by cristinew

I have stood with you all, on two differant occasions.. I stand with you all on a daily basis when I share what I know with others via word of mouth, Free press interviews, letter writing, phone calls.. I have been here doing my part the best I know how..

My point to this situation is how we were percieved that day at the Capital, as well as in the past. Next to the few hundred or so that showed up to the rally. I (IMO) don't feel the vast majority of voters fully understood what we as a group of PT's and Cg's were trying to convey. Unless I'm truly mistaken, but it was to show that the bills being voted upon were unjust and NO CHANGES should be made.. As I have read and seen this protest didn't convey this message appropriately, as stated above legalization overshadowed the real message we were trying to convey. UNLESS the true message was Legalization?

This is how the media, has written about the protest that took place that day.. its not just me taking out my arse, Google it (Links above) read what has been written about what the message the media has on what took place.. I have read ZERO about the proposed bills in house? From all I had read, its about decriminalization and legalization, I ask is this why 300 or so people showed up to Lansing or was there presence that day blurred for the wrong reason?

Trix

P.S: I'm on your guys side I'm not bashing anyone that showed up or will show up in the future, But don't you guys/gals think that we have to have a better plan next time, possibly one that doesn't involve the same ole same ole that hasn't worked in the past?

I know that Zap, has been there every week to be a advocate with you and I to have Coffee Hours to have a sit down with your Reps.. From the info I have not to many showed up to do so that was / is one of our greatest assests to directly influence these bills. imo

Factual not biased information, Factual not biased.

Do you know that Viv worked night and day calling reps> Do you know that there was an all day call a thon and there will be one on Tuesday? Do you know that 300 phone calls were made? Do you know we have went to the coffee hours, we have emailed. We have done it all and we will not stop. We did it before the protest we will do it after. Do you know they went before hand and talked to some of them?

Factual not biased information.

Edited by restlesslegs

Trix with all due respect to you, I also seen that part in those news articles I also seen a little about what we are about.

There are many fine people that have the talent for speaking, they have the talent for getting our plight across in the news.

My question is why are they sitting on the sidelines? We need every person regardless of their station in life to take a stand for us.

Public speaking is not my thing. I can write at best. However I am not well acquainted with those that do write professorially.

I am a warrior, I will fight my battles in the fields, the trench's wherever I can make my voice heard.

And if it means that I must stand at a rally wheelchair and all I shall.

I have never belittled anyone for meeting with our states rep's and zap we are still on for the 3rd?

I have sat here and sent out emails to the rep's also, And hopefully I have garnered some support for the patients and caregivers.

As I write this I am forming my thoughts for my local rep's letter seeing he may be up for re-election.

I have nothing but respect for all of the members and most can attest to the fact I tend to shy away for bashing ideals and my fellow members/

with that said I rest now. Btw how did the picnic go, never heard anymore on that.

Edited by Fat Freddy

Factual not biased information, Factual not biased.

Do you know that Viv worked night and day calling reps> Do you know that there was an all day call a thon and there will be one on Tuesday? Do you know that 300 phone calls were made? Do you know we have went to the coffee hours, we have emailed. We have done it all and we will not stop. We did it before the protest we will do it after. Do you know they went before hand and talked to some of them?

Factual not biased information.

You already disconnected yourself from majority of Patients and Caregivers, you seem to sling all together with dispensaries, a long time ago. We wanted to work with everyone and guess what we did! Just those who choose not to have divided themselves from the community.

The choice not to work for/with dispensaries is because they have fundamentally different goals. How do you not get that? If you're a dispensary owner you have a business aim. You want to make as much money as possible. The first chance you have to throw cgs and pts under the bus you will. Sure, you'll work with them right now when it is convenient for you. When you can ride their coattails and piggyback your message on theirs so you get the benefit of the masses. Then, when the time is right, you cut the cord. All of a sudden you'll be claiming that pts and cgs grow dangerous meds and that their grow rights should terminate in favor of a regulated grow.

If dispensaries truly care about pt and cg rights why isn't it enough for them to support those rights without pushing the dispensary agenda at the protest?

On the contrary Restless, it is not us that have separated from the "community" it is you. 300 out of 200,000 is not much to brag about. Most patients and caregivers want their rights to grow and thrive. Some of us are going to fight diligently to protect that. We are not doing it to corner any market or for any storefront. We are not willing to be used as a pawn in a fringe high stakes game.

Trix with all due respect to you, I also seen that part in those news articles I also seen a little about what we are about.

There are many fine people that have the talent for speaking, they have the talent for getting our plight across in the news.

My question is why are they sitting on the sidelines? We need every person regardless of their station in life to take a stand for us.

Public speaking is not my thing. I can write at best. However I am not well acquainted with those that do write professorially.

I am a warrior, I will fight my battles in the fields, the trench's wherever I can make my voice heard.

And if it means that I must stand at a rally wheelchair and all I shall.

I have never belittled anyone for meeting with our states rep's and zap we are still on for the 3rd?

I have sat here and sent out emails to the rep's also, And hopefully I have garnered some support for the patients and caregivers.

As I write this I am forming my thoughts for my local rep's letter seeing he may be up for re-election.

I have nothing but respect for all of the members and most can attest to the fact I tend to shy away for bashing ideals and my fellow members/

with that said I rest now. Btw how did the picnic go, never heard anymore on that.

Freddy thanks for doing what you can with the circumstances you have, seems you and I are in the same boat. I have a rather bad case of agoraphobia, and rarley leave the house among other health related issues. I too feel that my letter writing is by far my best assest, but I don't feel it has done a darn thing. Although I have dug the courage up to attend the gatherings and tell my story, which may have helped a few others understand what some of us go through on a daily basis.

You asked why do so many sit idley on the sidelines... Fear? Pain? The thing that has detoured myself as of late is unclear message that is broadcast.. IMO Protesting in Lansing, hasn't helped us at all. has it?

Seems like when they propose a bill, and we protest they know its something that will really effect us cause thats when we jump up and start beaching the most kinda seems like a survey on how best to fk us by our reaction. They (legislators) will hold their meeting and do buisness as usual. When I was going through court.. There were many others there for the same reason MARIJUANA, yet there was little support shown at the courthouse. This is a statewide thing, If we could get as many people that showed up in Lansing to courthouses across the state I feel it would help PT's and Cg's alot more. Not only will it show solidarity I'm sure the people in court will feel like someone cares..

I dunno, I'm just thinking of better ways to bring everyone together that has the same agenda that doesn't mesh the numbers of people that want legalization with the Pt's that just want the law to be upheld. Lets get LEO education etc.. etc.. We are all fine and dandy untill we end up in court. Then comes the posts about how they were screwed..

I'm fighting with you not against you, please remember that!

Trix

Part of the problem is how they perceive us Even when we do dress nicely and put ourselves in the "right look", they Don't Like our law nor do they like anyone who is a "stoner". They don't know what this is, a truly powerful medicine, they are closed minded and even with all the scientific proof they still bury their heads in the sand about the true benefits.

Ganja you are dead on. Where do we go from here? What bases have we not touched, seems we have tried everything but surely there are some over looked avenues we have not explored. Education is the key but they have to be open minded enough to even except that marijuana is not just a drug to get high on before it would make a difference. We know what has worked to a certain degree and I know that some of them are starting to change their tune about MM. How do we get more to be willing to look further then just seeing a gateway drug to corrupt the young or a bunch of die hard hippies smoking pot?

A start would be not to do rally's in hippie clothes all red eyed, see if that can be done, maybe than we can start getting taken seriously!

Peace

Jim

i think the 'hippies just want to get stoned' reason is a lie. its propaganda they tell people who will repeat it.

i mean, thats NOT the reason they hate marijuana.

i have not found out the real reason they hate marijuana. i suspect it is big money from pharmacuticals and the other big5 , playing a press release, psyops to keep it illegal.

so its kind of strange seeing the 'enlightened' people here repeat that manta, like that reason actually has a basis in reality. reality says, and polls agree, that medical marijuana has ~70% approval.

which brings me to my next point

controlling a protest and the actions of the public and how they choose to protest is a complete improbability (nigh impossible). you, of course, are free to complain about it. but complaining about an impossibility (tilting at windmills) annoys some people.

to me it sounds more like:

'this country would be better if only there werent _____ people around'

see?

'this protest would be better if only there werent _____ people around'

sure, you can complain about the guy dressed up as the pot leaf. or you could talk to him. find out his motivations. even educate him on the finer points of wearing a suit and tie.

or you could respect him and his choice. and not fall into the propaganda of the other side.

just trying to say 'complaining about pot leaf guy wont change anything'.

70% approval, thats awesome. logic, reasoning, compassion, common sense prevail!

people who vote but dont use mm see that kind of thing, and I promise you give them a chance and they would not pass it again, nothing but negative news on us, and like said when they do have a news story with vidoe or pics, its the people that choose to look and act like cheech and chong that get on the vids and pics! that does not help our movement, pts that act like they are normal people help, but are over looked when only one person shows up in a pot leaf! why is that so hard to beleive, my parents vote all the time, they dont like that kind of stuff, maybe your parents are younger than mine and might even do it, alot of my friends parents did it and still do! there are alot more people who graduated in the 50's who did not experience the pot craze of the 70's!

Peace

Jim

It was open, no one has a special pass to come or go. Depends on your perception and if your a negative person or a positive one of what this was about. We were there to stand up for your rights and rather you see that or not is up to you. There was power, did you see the tiny little guy holding up the sign where his dad is fighting against cancer? Did you go mingle among the crowd? Did anyone talk to the "fellow" caregivers and patients? There you found the real message and in the speeches. Listen with an open heart instead of a cold one and you might learn what the "grunts" are doing.

BTW was it you I took a pic of on the roof top across the street?

Do me a favor next time, if your there to save my rights, wear some nice clothes, other wise make sure you all just say your their only to support the others that are there, I would rather have a Lobbiest represent me than a bunch of stoners, when other people protest do they have a medicine tent or room for taking their opoids and xanax um maybe a beer?

I wouldnt go to one of them ralleys, the way they are being done, I wouldnt want to be seen with most of the people who obviously just want every one to know they are legal to smoke weed, so we will all dress like a bunch of hippies and show them, No Thanks!

rl did ya get tired of talking to your self, mod with all the topics lmao!

Peace

Jim

Listen to yourselves... So sick people with a card have a dress code now ? Gotta wear a suit to get medicated? hey whatever, I'd do it, but the bottom line: we dont have to, we're American Citizens. A product of our environment. That's who we are: tennis shoes, baseball hats, t-shirts, shorts, shades ....

Maybe we could afford some better clothes if we wasn't throwing a franklin in the gas tank every week. Plus $500 mo for health insurance. Car ins., house ins., life ins? yeah right. PCP, VAP, MMMJP License plates, Drivers License, Mj License, dogs license. So much for freedom ... what happened ? wtf ...

Edited by solabeirtan

Sorry had to step out for a family dinner.

Anyone here on this site knows my views on dispensaries, legalization etc. I have made no secret that I am not in favor of these at this time.

But if Normal and the dispensaries will come out and support patients and caregivers with their presents that is ok by me.

Did anyone note that when the normal rep said free the weed the verbal response was not as loud as the responses for the patients making their statements.

I do not agree with the spin put in the news paper stories. But it is up to us to contact the writers of those stories and express our dismay at such an unbalanced story.

I personally will be contacting the normal rep and expressing my thoughts on this matter. And trust me he will get an ear full.

But in such a manner that it just might sway his future coverage of our rallies.

Changing the perspective of the news reporters is just another battlefield on which we must fight.

So all I ask is let us join hands and take on ALL who oppose us or misconstrue our message.

The hour is late and we need all of the allies we can find. And if we sit down at the table with others and make it clear that there will be no marijuana if Rick Jones, an his puppet master Bill Schuette ( may be misspelled my bad ) have their way. Rick Jones has publicly stated he wants to rewrite our law and put it on the next election ballet.

Do you really think this snake will give us a fair choice???? seriously??? Not a chance in hell. His end game is to restore prohibition period!

Remember this: In numbers is strength, the 1st rally I went to our voice was a whisper, this rally our voice was a conversational tone. If we feel the need for another rally we will shout with a mighty roar. Cause we will not lay down and take it any longer. I wrote our House rep's I called them. And only people like Jeff Irwin had the courage to take a stand for the people. Sadly those Amendments left the house with the changes we opposed and now they sit before the Senate, and they will make farther changes.

I was willing to compromise at one point. Now I am not willing at all to even consider hearing anything they may offer for my support of any changes. yep they have pissed me off.

So in closing I humbly ask you join us, if you do not like our approach be kind enough to offer positive feedback. Any input that attempts to demean the author of a post

or the ideal offered will be rejected. Division is the tool of a dictatorship that knows it's days are numbered.

Edited by Fat Freddy

Changing the perspective of the news reporters is just another battlefield on which we must fight.

then quit dressing like hippies and smoking on the captial lawn,,

Oh so you were there??? Did you meet with me?? Or for that matter any of the people I was with???

Funny I do not recall meeting you. Maybe you need to ask some one that was there how I was dressed....And how I conducted myself.

Smoking on the lawn????? Seriously is that all you got man is a presumption of something I personally did not observe. I may have been in a wheel chair but that does not affect my nose. So if you are going to chime in do so from an informed point of view please. Not from some preconceived notion.