Pot Size?

im back still waiting for harvest!!! cant wait i have some updated pics here soon. my question is what pot size should i use for plant size i want to maybe start to keep them between 3 an 4/12 ft tall. i am using 5 gal pot size for all my plants so far but 2 of them are tall la.cheese is about 6ft 1 to 2 inches and blue dream is 5 ft 9 give or take an inch or 2. im trying to get the right pot size for the plants i would like to start doing any input would help thanks

get the biggest pots you can, and then tie down the plant if its too tall. this is known as 'low stress training'. you can also squeeze the stalk until it bends over. it will grow itself back up, and be a little shorter due to the stress of fixing itself. there is video of this on youtube if you need instructions.

well, i think the answer depends if you grow indica dominant or sativa dominant strains.

indica (and ruderails) are shorter plants. sativas grow to be 25ft trees in the right conditions.

for the most part....the larger the root ball, the bigger and healthier the plant.

a strain only producing 2oz. per will usually pump out double with a couple more gallons of soil and the extra room to grow into. and thats without ANY extra time added to the cycle

or just switch to my easy hydro system and grow some REAL roots!!!!!! right Q?!?

it is a balance between wasting dirt (as you only use the pot for about 3-4 months) and larger yield.

I did root ball autopsies after I harvest to see how the root ball was forming. With a 10 gallon pot, the root ball is not root bound, but still tight. With a small pocket here and there of soil still left to grow in, it meant to me it could still feed in the soil and less stress.

I did compare yields in 5 and 10 gallon pots - with the same strain, the plant can be predictable - the results do grow exponentially with size of the pot. The fruit is bigger, with the larger root ball to support it's growth.

The larger plant - grows about 4- 5 feet and the stems are of size to support larger buds. You can compare the harvest between a 5 gallon and 10 gallon - the 10 gallon harvest will have more bigger buds. I found that 2 - 3 'trees' (10 gallon pots) yielded better than 5- 6 5 gallon pots. Even the smaller buds, are not so small on a 10 gallon plant now.

You do have to plan ahead - you would grow less number of plants, as the 10 gallon plants will grow bigger and need that light space.

After a certain point - perhaps the last 4 weeks of flower, you may not be able to move the 10 gallon pot very much. The 10 gallon pot is heavier.

Make sure you allow time for the roots to establish in veg - I transplant into the 10 gallon pot from the 1 gallon pot - I just don't add 10 gallons of dirt all at once. You gradually add more dirt.

I don't know how true this is but i herd a good rule of thumb is 1 gallon dirt to 1 foot of plant. It truly is up to each strain .

Not sure if that 'rule' works - the 10 gallon plant is not just 5 feet tall, but it is also about 3-3.5' in diameter. I would judge the value of 5 gallon and 10 gallon by total yield in harvest. I have never gotten a 8oz harvest from a 5 gallon plant. 5 gallon plants seem to do about 2- 4 ounces max.

Also, I grow sativa/sativas - the shorter indicas and shorter flower stage can be a factor.

Since I switched to the root pruning "Smart-Pots" I use 5 gallon for mothers and 3 gallon for regular plants. With my clone cuttings I've noticed plenty of unused soil leftover after harvesting from the 3 gallon size. I believe I could get decent yield from even smaller smart-pots for clones. I mainly grow Indica dominant strains.