Question About Bugs On The Leaves....

bestingr

Hey this is my first time experiencing this. I just bought a batch of clones this past Saturday and I was just sitting down really looking them over and on 2 of the plants (leaves) I found a total 5 tiny little bugs walking back n forth with white particles in their mouths. I'm curious if this is spider mites. I can see them with my eyes, although I did use my microscope for a better look, but I was clearly able to see them....

I was able to brush the 5 away with my hands.... is that enough to stop them????

Is my grow tent "infested" now? If I were to just throw out these clones and get some new ones should I be okay?

Is it possible those are good bugs?

I really have no idea, but I know in past grows I've never seen tiny bugs on them so I'm curious...

Thanks!

Edited by bestingr

Most likely spidermites.

Did you have other plants in your area already? If so, I'm with zombie, gotta treat all of the plants AND the room. If these were the only plants you have, you'd probably be ok just treating the new plants, but to be on the safe side, it wouldn't hurt to let off a pyrethum bomb in your tent while you've got the plants out of it for treatment.

Or, you could get some spider mite predators. I recommend them to everyone as they are the only thing that I have to work long term. http://www.naturescontrol.com/mite.html has good info and I use their 'triple threat' pack of predatory mites.

no bugs is good bugs in a medical grow!

Most pest infestation found on clones are mites. you will see mite damage on the leaves before you see webs. The leaf will have brown spots where the mites sucked the leaf - it will look like a shotgun pattern. If you can see 5, you cannot see the 20 mites and their 1,000 eggs.

I recommend the dipping process - dip each new plant in a bucket of neem oil solution (azamax) - this is better than spraying the plants.

Always quarantine your new plants.

Looks like some good advice already. I would add since your growing in a tent to make sure and get every single nook and crannie sprayed or wiped with the neem oil solution. The zippers, the duct openings, the side velcro vent flaps inside and out, under the tray liner and the creases of the liner, behind the poles and in the corners really well. I also use tents and know this can turn into a major problem very fast. I make it routine to spray my tents well regularly whether I see bugs or not. Good luck!

Ladybugs will eat mites, although mites are not their preferred food source. They work much better on aphids and whatnot. I used ladybugs for awhile and they helped control my mite issue, but never fully resolved it. For my money, I now prefer to go right for a specific predator for specific pests, spider mite predators for spider mites. Ladybugs are always good to have around,though. They certainly won't hurt your plants and are good for general pest control

ladybugs will end up in your lights and die.

If the infestation is bad enough I recommend cutting clones (smaller plants easier to innoculate) and start over. The months you spend trying to fight them, in flower - can end up badly. You would be better off - stopping, cleaning, bombing, and starting veg again.

12 plants might be overcrowded in that tent. Learn to grow high yields from less plant count - 4 in flower, 4 in veg, 4 in clones - poof - you got 12.

Keep temp and humidity consistent - 10 - 15 degree excursions - temp like 63 to 75 is fine, humidity 40 to 55% etc. Avoid wide swings in temp and humidity.

Since clones are weaker, and use higher humidity - I keep them separate from the grow room.

Curious where these were purchased at.

Please "out" the filthy bug spreaders.

I WOULD LOVE TO OUT THE BAD SELLER. THE USER NAME IS SARGENT BROWN.

They contacted me a year ago to sell clones and I found someone different to use. I posted a thread here - looking for clones in the GR area but sadly no one responded so I contacted that user name and they were happy to meet me. Unfortunately, we did the transaction in a busy gas station parking lot and I basically had them placed into my car and car trunk shut immediately. I wasn't able to inspect them. When I got home, 2 were dead and 2 are near death. I contacted them immediately and they said "ok". That's the last I've heard from them. I am so digusted by the quality and lack of care that they have shown. They wont return phonecalls or texts.

Besides, being out of my donation (150$) my patient is the one who is truly suffering because of this. I'm just a caregiver, I don't need the meds, but my patient does and currently, I'm in no position to replace these. It's truly one of the bad sides of our "industry".

In all sincerety I can't afford to replace these clones nor buy up any of the solutions that you guys have listed.... I believe I've heard/read this but would warm water and a dish soap be okay to wipe down these plants with for the time being? I don't want to harm the plant if I can help it. I just reached out to a friend to borrow money to buy new clones but if he turns me down I'm going to need a back up plan...

Edited by bestingr

yes, the cheap way is to use a spray bottle to spray the mites off using regular water.

it doesnt work 100% , but if you spray them off every day for weeks it helps.

maybe even turn them upside down over a sink and use a sprayer hose to spray them down.

theres video on youtube of this mechanical removal method.

you have to spray the underside of the leaves, thats where the mites hang out.

neem oil is pretty cheap tho, and organic.

Edited by teethpain