Why Would You Do That?

"I use medical marijuana in a way that doesn't get me high!"

"Why would you do THAT??"

"So I can walk."

There is a benefit to the marijuana high, for many patients. It's amusing that the "high" is considered to be a side effect.

Mild euphoria should be a side effect of ALL those poisons we are being fed by doctors. Our values are so out of whack that most people thing something is wrong if a medicine makes you feel good.

Just the same, the "high" is something that is used against our community all the time.

"They're just a bunch of hippies wanting to get high" is something used against us.

What if you could separate the two subjects in a conversation with, say, a lawmaker.

"WHY, IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU DO THAT!!??"

Exactly. Why would you?

How about pain reduction? Pretty much everyone knows about pain reduction from using marijuana. Those that think we only want to get high realize it does something for pain. Sometimes "they" talk about "just another shot of whiskey." Yes, it reduces pain, but so do a lot of other things that get you stoned.

But what about those methods that DON'T get you high?

This possibility shakes the very basis for the majority of rhetoric being used against our community. The person making the statement has to set back and think .. and think .. and think. Finally they ask "OK .. what are the benefits?"

Then they arrive at a place where they think of the people, they know, that this might help. Usually someone they care about.

Helping people is what the mmj movement is supposed to be all about.

This converts our enemies into friends.

This war is being won by helping people.

I think there is a fact that many people overlook. Many don't like the high from marijuana just like they don't like the high from vicodin.

The problem is overcoming the image of a stereotypical recreational user. Make people realize that it isn't about the high. That's why I don't like people showing up to protest dressed like a 60s hippie stereotype. It hurts the movement.

I think there is a fact that many people overlook. Many don't like the high from marijuana just like they don't like the high from vicodin.

The problem is overcoming the image of a stereotypical recreational user. Make people realize that it isn't about the high. That's why I don't like people showing up to protest dressed like a 60s hippie stereotype. It hurts the movement.

Thank you.

Yes. There ARE options available to receive SOME of the benefits while avoiding the "high."

Medical marijuana, without the "high," is something that the pharmaceutical companies have promised for decades yet failed to deliver. The best they could produce from that effort was Merinol. Synthetic THC in a pill that pales in comparison with plant derived medicine.

This is no failed promise .. This is real and we have it today.

Thank you.

Yes. There ARE options available to receive SOME of the benefits while avoiding the "high."

Medical marijuana, without the "high," is something that the pharmaceutical companies have promised for decades yet failed to deliver. The best they could produce from that effort was Merinol. Synthetic THC in a pill that pales in comparison with plant derived medicine.

This is no failed promise .. This is real and we have it today.

Yes, Marinol still gives one a high. Furthermore, Marinol can take 60 to 90 minutes to become effective. When you have chemo-related nausea you don't want to wait that long if there are alternatives available.

Marijuana high in CBD content counter acts THC, "the high." Perfect for those of us who don't care for the high!

Lessening the high is only one of the benefits of including CBD into your cannabis mix.

GW pharmaceuticals has done and is doing a great job of documenting what takes place when you blend THC and CBD.

IF YOU ARE AN MS PATIENT, FIND SOME HIGH CBD BUD TO TRY. IT IS DAY AND NIGHT FOR THE MS PATIENT.

Yes, Marinol still gives one a high. Furthermore, Marinol can take 60 to 90 minutes to become effective. When you have chemo-related nausea you don't want to wait that long if there are alternatives available.

Yes. A complete failure to deliver.

It still has the high and it doesn't work anywhere near as well as whole plant extract.

Something that GW has proven .. over and over again.

Officials are happy about chemicals in a can. No one is smoking the stuff.

What officials don't fully realize, it that their headline product is simply marijuana in a can. Not chemicals.

And they are proving it works. This company is making our case for us. In spite of themselves.

My MS patient prefers sativa - for some the THC 'psychoactive' kills the pain by cutting the connection in the head. The high - one really gets used to it once you use the medicine on a regular basis. I still say the high - 'an improved sense of well being' is still a part of a patient's quality of life and recovery.

My MS patient prefers sativa - for some the THC 'psychoactive' kills the pain by cutting the connection in the head. The high - one really gets used to it once you use the medicine on a regular basis. I still say the high - 'an improved sense of well being' is still a part of a patient's quality of life and recovery.

CBD produces the "awake" effect. It is not a sleep inducer. I suspect that CBD will be found in many sativa strains.

It is highly desirable to find the exact strain for the specific patient. THC is important, but has greatly diminished abilities when it is by itself.

well - the strain I smoke tested out to 90:1 ratio, about 18% THC with only .7% CBDs. I found that marijuana with higher ratios of CBDs have the couch lock effect.

The ones with the higher THC ratio had the psychoactive effects - the visual, sensory, and mental imaging were speedy, colorful, and motivating.

The couch lock is more of a sedating feeling, numb, and sleepy.

well - the strain I smoke tested out to 90:1 ratio, about 18% THC with only .7% CBDs. I found that marijuana with higher ratios of CBDs have the couch lock effect.

The ones with the higher THC ratio had the psychoactive effects - the visual, sensory, and mental imaging were speedy, colorful, and motivating.

The couch lock is more of a sedating feeling, numb, and sleepy.

And the couch lock effect has been, culturally, related to CBD. I think that has been misdirection.

CBD is still very rare. Very few have used CBD by itself.

I think 'smoking' it might have something to do with it also. The method of ingestion is very important in the consideration of what gets into your system.

I fully agree. Forms of ingestion are VERY important.

When cannabinoids are eaten, they make a "first pass" through the liver. During this "first pass" a percentage of the cannabinoids are converted into different cannabinoids than what went into the liver.

For THC and CBD this is a first step toward the manufacture of the metabolites you see in urine testing. Half way in between.

These "half way" cannabinoids are not produced when the cannabis is smoked.

This "doubles up" the cannabinoids involved in the attempt to heal a body.

A suggestion:

Catatonic #4 has been tested to be nearly 15% CBD and 0.5% THC. It might qualify as industrial hemp by UN standards.

Locate some catatonic #4. Mix it 50/50 with a high THC strain.

This approximates the 50/50 mix of Sativex.

As you know, Sativex is being promoted specifically for the pain and spasms of MS.

I think that GW decided to promote their product with the conditions that the blend has the most dramatic effect on. In the case of Sativex, that would be 50/50 mix applied to MS patients.

Very very targeted, lab tested and proven, in HUMANS with MS.

Might want to have your patient check out the blend.

interesting I agree with belnding have been doing that for some time with nice results. I find that is a great way to dial in medication for patients, that way also you get the most from each type of plant rather then trying to breed into a plant a end all be all, good thread thanks all for the thoughtful contributions

CBD and THC fight over CB receptors in your body. a CBD molecule will block the absorption of THC in a CB receptor.

CBD is found in the highest concentrations in hemp. Hemp grows randomly in cornfields and fence rows all over the midwest.

Have you ever had this hemp tested for CBD content?

I've never seen hemp growing in corn fields before.

Michigan was not really a Hemp producing state i guess, so i can understand not seeing them down there. Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, and Indiana were the biggest producers and it still grows randomly all over the place. They spend tens of millions of dollars in each state every year trying to eradicate it. :-) They have failed miserably. :angel:

I have never tested the hemp or hemp hybrids myself from the midwest myself. They had two main strains they used. Some have become hybridized with other wild cannabis in some places as well. Many people(no idea who) would spread hight thc seeds amongst the hemp growths just for the hell of it.

I would say this week is the week to go find em. They stick out like a sore thumb this time of year just before corn harvest. Seeds should be abundant.

Heres some info i found...

I'm working on a project to breed a new strain of Medical Marijuana from non-recreation strains of Cannabis (hemp). Particularly I am interested in finding wild hemp growing in Indiana, and Illinois. Some old records of Cannabinoid content of feral hemp turned up some interesting data: Indiana, and Illinois hemp contains high amounts of Cannabidiol (CBD) sometimes as high as 7%.

I don't kow how accurate that is or wtvr, but i assume that is just the feral hemp that was grown with no ferts or proper care etc.

But yea... hemp=CBD basicly. Just a matter of how much.

Edited by Malamute

http://michigancannabispatients.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27&p=37

Thats a link to a thread about hemp i had posted here as well as on my site a few years ago. Probably still here in the archives somewhere.

Easier to read at link because i am too lazy to fix the post up... :-)

Fell free to make it look better mods if ya like.

I know alot of people in need of finding high CBD strains. Well, i would recommend finding some hemp growing wild in the farmlands of the midwest.

I grew up in Illinois right by this place that processed and grew hemp back int he day. Basically the hemp capital in the 40's. It still grows literally EVERYWHERE. Was always kinda fun in the fall driving through the country and seeing these huge hemp plants lining the ditches and fencelines. :-)

Polo, Illinois hemp mill

http://www.globalhemp.com/Archives/History/polo_il_hemp_mill.html

Polo, Illinois hemp mill

For two years (1943–1944), Polo was thrust the limelight because during those World War II years, hemp (marijuana) was raised in the area, and a mill for preparing the hemp into rope or cordage was built.

With the fall of the Philippines and Java to Japan, the major supply of harder fibers was cut off. So in 1942 the United States government decided it would be necessary to produce large quantities of hemp fiber in this country to meet the armed forces’ demands for rope, binder twine, and other types of cordage.

The entire program was assigned to the Department of Agriculture. The program for planting and processing the hemp plant was directed by the Commodity Credit Corporation. It was planned to establish 42 hemp mills in the midwest, 11 of these were to be in Illinois.

stack of hemp

Since the plant at Polo was to serve as the pilot mill for the entire program, the AAA in Ogle county faced many problems. The major problem was that of recruitment. Skeptical farmers were reluctant to put some of their acreages into hemp for a number of reasons. They were dubious that the grain drills would be ready for seeding; they feared a labor shortage at harvest time (turning the hemp at Felting time had to be done by hand at that time); fear that hemp prices would be lower than corn prices. Furthermore, they knew nothing about raising hemp, its yield, the labor required, or production costs.

By the middle of January 1943, it was expected that no farmer could participate in the AAA soil conservation plan unless he raised hemp. The Ogle County AAA program set up allotments for hemp for the different townships. The largest was 1,200 acres for Buffalo township.

Meetings were held at Polo High School to acquaint farmers with the growing of hemp. Over 200 farmers attended the third session on March 8, 1943. Forrest Gillespie announced that 4,055 acres had been signed up by 179 farmers. Fred Butcher, president of the War Hemp Industries. Inc., reassured the farmers that the necessary equipment would be provided for every 100 acres of hemp.

The first carload of Kentucky hemp seed arrived in Polo about April 29 and farmers were soon busy planting. Average acreage was 11 acres per grower. Trouble developed when the government was unable to deliver all of the drills needed.

The Community Credit Corporation agreed to advance the seed, and it also agreed to furnish harvesting machinery for cutting and binding the hemp at a rental cost of $5 per acre.

Work continued on the plant (mill) one mile south of Polo on land bought from Howard Dennis. The plant consisted of mill building, a dryer, a storage building for bales and one for straw, and a boiler house. Overall cost was $350,000.

The new hemp manager, Harold R. Dyas, was chosen after considerable opposition to Frank B. Wilson, a local farmer, as manager. Main opposition to Wilson’s appointment was that it appeared to be made on the basis of politics.

The cutting and retting process began the first week on October. After being cut, the hemp was turned by hand. After the hemp had been completely retted, it was to be bound by machines. But most of the hemp was too tangled to go through the binders, and the stalks had to be straightened by hand. Soon the binders began to break down, and some farmers tied hemp by hand.

German prisoners of war

German prisoners of war were used to help with the harvest.

To help ease the labor shortage, German prisoners of war were brought in by bus from Camp Grant near Rockford to work in the hemp fields and to stack straw as it arrived at the mill.

By January 6, 1944, four thousand five-hundred and fifty-two truck loads of hemp had been hauled to the mill. At the peak of the milling, 144 workers processed the hemp into line fiber. By February, 151 tons of fiber were recovered and the fiber was shipped to the East coast. Fifteen spinning mills received the fiber.

The Tri-County Press, of Polo, reported that on March 16 the Polo mill processed more tonnage than any other mill in the United States for the 1943 season. The Polo plant received hemp from 365 farmers whose total crop from 1,825 acres was 10,635 tons of hemp straw. Hemp brought an average of $93.19 per acre to farmers on the Polo area.

The government was undecided about continuing the program in 1944 because victories in the Mediterranean and Caribbean made it possible to secure hemp from the Mediterranean region and Central America. Twenty-eight plants in the Midwest were closed. Four mills in Illinois (Shabbona, Earlville, Kirkland, and Polo) were still to be in operation.

Difficulties arose because the farmers feared the government might not buy their hemp in the fall and refused to pledge their acreage.

The finale for Polo’s hemp mill came on September 29, 1945, when the plant was turned over to the Reconstruction Finance Corporation.

Bicentennial History of Ogle County. Ogle County Board, 1976.

Copyright © 2001, Polo Community High School. All rights reserved.

Every year the Illinois State police would have this HUGE hemp/marijuana eradication program. They would spend millions of dollars driving around burning fencelines and ditches and yanking plants. Of course it never worked at all. Just an excuse to spend money and say they were " Putting a stake in the heart of Pot producers"..... Was funny bunny muffin watching them yanking up hemp plants. Dumasses. Like they could simply get rid of it. Hahaha... Almost 70 years later and it is going strong without help.

I also have this info from good old Ed Rosenthal:

"Several [varieties of hemp] are grown in this country, that cultivated in Kentucky and having a hollow stem, being the most common. China hemp, with slender stems, growing very erect, has a wide range of culture. Smyrna hemp is adapted to cultivation over a still wider range and Japanese hemp is beginning to be cultivated, particularly in California, where it reaches a height of 15 feet. Russian and Italian seed have been experimented with, but the former produces a short stalk, while the latter only grows to a medium height. A small quantity of Piedmontese hemp seed from Italy was distributed by the Department in 1893, having been received through the Chicago Exposition...."

Dodge, C. A. 1896. A report on the culture of hemp and jute in the United States. USDA Office of Fiber Investigations. Report No. 8. p.7.

"Early maturing varieties, chiefly of Italian origin, are being grown at Madison, Wisconsin, in cooperation with the Wisconsin Agricultural Experiment Station. This is the third year of selection for some varieties, and the results give promise of the successful production in that State of seed of hemp fully equal to the Ferrara of northern Italy."

USDA. Bureau of Plant Industry. 1918. Report of the Chief. p. 28.

"The second-generation hybrid Ferramington, combining the height and long internodes of Kymington with the earliness and heavy seed yield of Ferrara, gives promise of a good fiber type of hemp that may ripen seed as far north as Wisconsin."

USDA. Bureau of Plant Industry. 1919. Report of the Chief. p. 21.

"The work of breeding improved strains of hemp is being continued at Arlington Farm, Va., and all previous records were broken in the selection plats of 1919. The three best strains, Kymington, Chington and Tochimington, averaged, respectively, 14 feet 11 inches, 15 feet 5 inches, and 15 feet 9 inches, while the tallest individual plant was 19 feet. The improvement by selection is shown not alone in increased height but also in longer internodes, yielding fiber of better quality and increased quantity."

USDA. Bureau of Plant Industry. 1920. Report of the Chief. p. 26.

"In 1929 three selected varieties of hemp (Michigan Early, Chinamington and Simple Leaf) were grown in comparison with unselected common Kentucky seed near Juneau, Wis. Each of the varieties had been developed by 10 years or more of selection from the progeny of individual plants. The yields of fiber per acre were as follows: Simple Leaf, 360 pounds; Michigan Early, 694 pounds; Chinamington, 1054 pounds; common Kentucky, 680 pounds."

USDA. 1929. Bureau of Plant Industry, Annual Report. p. 27.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1YeyucgLHnQC&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=origin+strains+american+hemp&source=bl&ots=QFmUG8WW0J&sig=Eulz-zc2jFxdmbZOzbi8YMLq2CE&hl=en&ei=rv6eSpqMH6HsnQfAxdGIDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5#v=onepage&q=origin%20strains%20american%20hemp&f=false

There's some cool info in that book. Pages 73 to 80 are cool. Nice charts and such...free preview eh.

I can recommend this book.

Heres some info i found...

I'm working on a project to breed a new strain of Medical Marijuana from non-recreation strains of Cannabis (hemp). Particularly I am interested in finding wild hemp growing in Indiana, and Illinois. Some old records of Cannabinoid content of feral hemp turned up some interesting data: Indiana, and Illinois hemp contains high amounts of Cannabidiol (CBD) sometimes as high as 7%.

I don't kow how accurate that is or wtvr, but i assume that is just the feral hemp that was grown with no ferts or proper care etc.

But yea... hemp=CBD basicly. Just a matter of how much.

A long time ago, back in the 1980's, one of my friends paid an unknown person for the location of where he could find "wild" marijuana growing. I offered to drive. We were just some dumb kids. So he paid for the information to the location and I drove. It was in Indiana. I don't remember exactly where, but it was a small town. We drove around looking for about an hour and did not find anything. Then, we started driving around on the back roads of this small town. We noticed many houses had just one big pot plant in their front yard. It seemed to be allowed there at that time. Possibly even now too. Here is why. The corn fields were being overtaken by gigantic hemp plants! We went there in the summer so they were all still in vegetative growth. It looked to me like the farmers were having problems getting rid of it. The stalks on some of the plants were 3-4 inches thick. They were huge. You could not just pull one up out of the soil. You literally needed a saw or an axe and we did not have either one. So we drove home dry. Didn't matter anyway, there were no buds.

So, the trip was a loss, but it was a strange sight to see hemp growing all over the place and overthrowing corn fields.