Mmj Vote To Go Ahead In Arkansas.

greenbuddha

Medical-Marijuana Vote in Arkansas to Go Ahead Posted by CN Staff on September 28, 2012 at 04:47:35 PT

By Ana Campoy

Source: Wall Street Journal

medical.gif Little Rock -- Arkansas could become the first state in the South to legalize marijuana use for medicinal purposes in November, after the Arkansas Supreme Court on Thursday upheld a ballot measure advanced by activists.

The Arkansas Medical Marijuana Act was challenged by state conservative groups that argued the ballot measure's summary was misleading and incomplete, for example, by not specifying which illnesses a person would need to have to legally obtain the drug. The groups asked the court to remove the measure from the ballot.

Arkansas Supreme Court justices rejected the argument, concluding in their opinion that the summary "informs the voters in an intelligible, honest and impartial manner" about what the measure would do.

If passed, the measure would enable people in Arkansas who have certain illnesses, such as cancer and glaucoma, to legally acquire marijuana to help ease their symptoms. Eligible people would get a certificate to buy marijuana at dispensaries that would be set up for the first time in the state.

California in 1996 became the first state to approve the use of medical marijuana. Since then, 16 other states and the District of Columbia have adopted similar laws. Most of them are in the East Coast or in the West.

Arkansans for Compassionate Care, the group behind the Arkansas initiative, said its proposed law includes limits on the number of dispensaries selling the drug, as well as strict controls over who is eligible to use the marijuana.

The group gathered 120,000 signatures to put the measure on the ballot, almost double the number that state law requires, members said. It received financial assistance from the Marijuana Policy Project, a Washington, D.C.-based group that advocates the decriminalization of marijuana.

"We hope that this will be a model for other states to go with in the future," said Christopher Kell, campaign strategist for the Arkansas group.

But members of the Coalition to Preserve Arkansas Values, which filed the court challenge, said the proposed controls aren't enough to keep marijuana out of the hands of those would use it for purposes other than to relieve symptoms of a medical condition.

"Medical marijuana is not about providing health care to people," said Larry Page, executive director of Arkansas Faith and Ethics Council, a group that is part of the opposition coalition. "What's driving this is the effort to legalize marijuana for recreational use."

Mr. Page said his group will now focus on educating the public about the consequences of passing the initiative, which he said aren't spelled out in the proposal that voters will review at the polling places.

A version of this article appeared September 28, 2012, on page A3 in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: Medical-Marijuana VoteIn Arkansas to Go Ahead.

Source: Wall Street Journal (US)

Author: Ana Campoy

Published: September 28, 2012

Copyright: 2012 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

URL: http://drugsense.org/url/UEzYsqGR

CannabisNews Medical Marijuana Archives

http://cannabisnews.com/news/list/medical.shtml

Home Comment Email Register Recent Comments Help facebook.gif stumble.gif diggit.gif reddit.gif delicious.gif

"Medical marijuana is not about providing health care to people," said Larry Page, executive director of Arkansas Faith and Ethics Council, a group that is part of the opposition coalition. "What's driving this is the effort to legalize marijuana for recreational use."

God help them. They are up against the Arkansas Faith and Ethics Council! Hillbilly morons...

They give new meaning to the title "conservative". Regards, C

HISTORY AND BACKGROUND

1899 Anti-Saloon League of Arkansas

1957 Christian Civic Foundation

1999 Arkansas Faith and Ethics Council

"Will we choose complacency, apathy and inaction while a world perishes in decadence, squalor and wickedness, or will we be obedient to God? The words of Edmund Burke clearly set out what is at stake: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." The Arkansas Faith and Ethics Council will strive to enable, enhance and encourage the church to stand for God and His righteousness, proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ and achieve a decent and just society.

In gratitude for Him and you, I am sincerely,

Larry L. Page

Executive Director

Arkansas Faith and Ethics Council

http://arfaith.org/home.html

God help them. They are up against the Arkansas Faith and Ethics Council! Hillbilly morons...

That statement is being echoed all over the USA, not just hillbilly country. This is why patients and caregivers have to decide if they want to connected with legalization groups or stand for patient rights to medical use. How many people since 2009 have taken that same position now?

""Medical marijuana is not about providing health care to people," said Larry Page, executive director of Arkansas Faith and Ethics Council, a group that is part of the opposition coalition. "What's driving this is the effort to legalize marijuana for recreational use."

People in here openly admit that they are riding this MMMAct just for this reason, they say they are helping us. So, do you need proof that Larry Page is right?

This is our new battle..

That statement is being echoed all over the USA, not just hillbilly country. This is why patients and caregivers have to decide if they want to connected with legalization groups or stand for patient rights to medical use. How many people since 2009 have taken that same position now?

""Medical marijuana is not about providing health care to people," said Larry Page, executive director of Arkansas Faith and Ethics Council, a group that is part of the opposition coalition. "What's driving this is the effort to legalize marijuana for recreational use."

People in here openly admit that they are riding this MMMAct just for this reason, they say they are helping us. So, do you need proof that Larry Page is right?

This is our new battle..

Prepare to be disappointed.

You'll soon have to get off the soapbox and find something else to beach about.

It' on its way.

This is our new battle..

You have finally won me over to your side of thinking.

I no longer support 'Medical Marijuana Usage' because it will only lead others to want to 'Legalize Cannabis' for recreational use.

We all have to wake up to this reality.

Thank you Nomad for helping me 'see the light'.

We must turn back all MMJ laws, otherwise we risk FULL LEGALIZATION that would allow recreational users to get high.

Thanks again, Nomad. I'm sorry I ever doubted your viewpoint.

You have finally won me over to your side of thinking.

I no longer support 'Medical Marijuana Usage' because it will only lead others to want to 'Legalize Cannabis' for recreational use.

We all have to wake up to this reality.

Thank you Nomad for helping me 'see the light'.

We must turn back all MMJ laws, otherwise we risk FULL LEGALIZATION that would allow recreational users to get high.

Thanks again, Nomad. I'm sorry I ever doubted your viewpoint.

You are just being moronic - you keep on that I am against legalization, you keep missing the point - I am against people using the medical marijuana act for legalization. I am against people faking being a patient so they can joke about the law. I am against the legalization crowd showing up with "Free the Weed, fuc the police" signs, and their tie dye. I hate every recreational user that gets busted by the police, and exposed as a 'cardholder, so its proof that the MMMA is a scam" issue popping up again and again.

For every step forward we make on patient rights and medical use, a legalization person steps in and helps with "And its my right to party!!!" Two Steps back.

You hate my opinion - I believe in marijuana as an organic medicine that can be use in a regular moderated form that promotes patient well being. I believe this is a fight for patient rights to his/her health care.

Do I care about partying? Do I care about the ballot to legalize (which lets be honest here - all you will do is de-criminalize it - so it does nothing for patient and caregiver safety, people will still buy it from street dealers) No, my focus is on medical use, - and the site is Michigan Medical Marijuana Association. If I wanted to debate the argument about legalization - I would be over at MiNORML .

You are just being moronic - you keep on that I am against legalization, you keep missing the point - I am against people using the medical marijuana act for legalization. I am against people faking being a patient so they can joke about the law. I am against the legalization crowd showing up with "Free the Weed, fuc the police" signs, and their tie dye. I hate every recreational user that gets busted by the police, and exposed as a 'cardholder, so its proof that the MMMA is a scam" issue popping up again and again.

For every step forward we make on patient rights and medical use, a legalization person steps in and helps with "And its my right to party!!!" Two Steps back.

You hate my opinion - I believe in marijuana as an organic medicine that can be use in a regular moderated form that promotes patient well being. I believe this is a fight for patient rights to his/her health care.

Do I care about partying? Do I care about the ballot to legalize (which lets be honest here - all you will do is de-criminalize it - so it does nothing for patient and caregiver safety, people will still buy it from street dealers) No, my focus is on medical use, - and the site is Michigan Medical Marijuana Association. If I wanted to debate the argument about legalization - I would be over at MiNORML .

quote: "You are just being moronic."

AHH. Name calling; the sure sign of a weak mind and a frustrated man.

But unlike you, 'I' have the courage of my convictions and tomorrow I begin volunteering 'against' the 'legalization' of cannabis.

Again, thank you, Nomad, for helping me come to my senses on how MMJ is leading us toward the evil of 'recreational cannabis."

I'll never be able to thank you enough.

like i said in that other thread, these people are against any marijuana use.

the 'mmj people just want to get high' is not the real reason they oppose medical marijuana.

a small percentage of people may actually believe it.

but they're also the same people who want alcohol prohibition.

i love watching the debates vs city attourneys and such.

ask them if alcohol prohibition is a good idea, watch them contort until they dont answer or (more idiotic) say they wish alcohol was prohibited again!

trying to bend over backwards for a group of people who are either liars, or whos job depends on keeping marijuana illegal (prisons, rehab, probation, drug testing, etc) is a very stupid thing to do.

a better strategy is to get the evidence, the cancer patients doing interviews, and show these liars and idiots to the public just how stupid their opinion is on the subject.

its like if you want to keep condoms legal, so you dont want anyone making baloons out of them in pride parades.

well, the only people who want condoms to be illegal (catholics) are making whoopee crazy people. not making baloons is not going to stop their quest for religious tyranny against the devil (condoms / cannabis).