Requesting Advice On Starting Up.

Kayla88

Hello, everyone! As you will probably know by reading this, I'm new to the site. My fiancee and I have been discussing for a month or two about the possibility of me getting my caregiver license. Honestly, the idea just randomly occurred to me as I was attempting to pay all of my bills with my sadly meager paycheck. Even though it was a sudden idea, I feel that it's for the right reasons (aside from supplementing income, of course). My great-grandpa was diagnosed with colon cancer and was given two months to live. He was wasting away because his appetite was gone, he was in heaps of pain, and his spark was gone. It was heartbreaking. Anyway, my grandma (bless her soul) got him started on smoking marijuana. Immediately, he got the munchies and ate his first full meal in ages. A sunnier disposition quickly followed when the marijuana alleviated his pain. He lived another year and a half in comfort before passing away in his sleep. This is what pushed me to truly believe in the qualities of medicinal marijuana.

Anyway, I want to help other people like that and help with household bills. Seems like a good idea to me! However, I want to make sure that I do this the right way and 100% legal, as I'm in college for criminal justice. I have already checked into that, and there are a few dozen people with caregiver licenses involved in the CJ system in my town, so that won't be an issue. I would LOVE y'all if you would help me with these questions:

• How do I get started? My research shows no guidelines for obtaining seeds.
  • Are there any special considerations with children in the home? I have an outbuilding I would use that can be heavily secured.
  • What should I know about the environment the plants need to thrive?
  • What materials should I plan on needing?
  • What is the best way to learn with my license? I don't know how accepting a patient would be of sticking by me while I muddle through trial and error
  • Besides materials, what are the up-front costs of becoming a caregiver?
  • What is the best advice you can give a noob like me?

Thank you so much in advance! :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't get a caregiver's license. A patient has to make you their caregiver.

The best advice I can give is to get your patient card and start your grow. When you are successfully growing medical grade MMJ then you start looking for a patient. if you get a patient before you are ready for them it will hurt you in the long run if you can't supply that patient. Once you have the reputation of not being able to supply patients, you'll have a hard time getting another one.

Also, if you thought you were going to get rich from this, forget about it. If you are doing everything legally, it's equal to a well-paying part-time job.

I am ineligible for a patient card, but my fiancee is. We want to set it up so that he gets his card and i am named caregiver, just to avoid any possible issues with it being grown with me around. We want to cover all bases, plus eventually get other patients once I learn. I doubt my fiancee would give me a bad rep! LOL

Celliach, I inted to keep this EXTREMELY discrete. There are only a small handful of people that will know I sell, except my patients. On top of that, I refuse to use the websites to find patients. I'm sure that most of the people on there are honest people looking for an honest caregiver, but I know several people personally who are looking. I just prefer people that I already trust.

Btw, my outbuilding has the penetrability of a nuclear shelter, just about! It's a cement building. Only thing I need to do is get a stronger door. Between that and keeping it hush-hush, I'm sure it should be safe. Thanks so much for the concern, though! :)

Willy, I am getting between 8 and 10 grand for tax returns this year (yay for exemptions), so I'm willing to soak all of that in, if need be. I'm just that tired of squeaking by or not making it every month, even after spending all day at work, kissing arse and busting my butt. I realize that it's not going to be cheap and I also realize that there will be costs every month (higher electricity, pest control, high quality dirt, etc) associated with it. I'm trying to go into this as well-informed as I can.

Willy, I am getting between 8 and 10 grand for tax returns this year (yay for exemptions), so I'm willing to soak all of that in, if need be. I'm just that tired of squeaking by or not making it every month, even after spending all day at work, kissing arse and busting my butt. I realize that it's not going to be cheap and I also realize that there will be costs every month (higher electricity, pest control, high quality dirt, etc) associated with it. I'm trying to go into this as well-informed as I can.

That's a mistake. Just get yourself a little closet grow going and see if you like it. Seriously.

Celliach, I inted to keep this EXTREMELY discrete. There are only a small handful of people that will know I sell, except my patients. On top of that, I refuse to use the websites to find patients. I'm sure that most of the people on there are honest people looking for an honest caregiver, but I know several people personally who are looking. I just prefer people that I already trust.

Btw, my outbuilding has the penetrability of a nuclear shelter, just about! It's a cement building. Only thing I need to do is get a stronger door. Between that and keeping it hush-hush, I'm sure it should be safe. Thanks so much for the concern, though! :)

Well......you just told a bunch of people that you sell. Are you planning on doing this to supply patients with medicine or to sell marijuana to people?

Also, this will not get you out of your current financial situation if you are doing everything the way you should be.

I don't sell yet...it wouldn't even happen for ages. Besides, none of you know where I live. I plan to use taxes to help get the materials that I need and after that, the profit would supplement my income after the factored in recurring expenses, as stated.

And you failed to see my biggest point, Celliach. I truly want to help people. I'm not looking for people to pass judgement on me; I already know my reasons and I'm confident in them. I'm looking for advice how to get started. Would you mind please keeping it to that? Everyone here grows, smokes, or supports it, so I don't see any reason why I should be placed under a microscope. Thanks!

I don't sell yet...it wouldn't even happen for ages. Besides, none of you know where I live. I plan to use taxes to help get the materials that I need and after that, the profit would supplement my income after the factored in recurring expenses, as stated.

We all kow where you live if we want to. We just have to follow your ISP address. Something the police have been capable of, and doing for years. Just by posting in this forum you have left a trail right to your house. Not that I think anyone will follow it. I just want you to be aware of it so you can cover your tracks better and start to watch what you say online. Also, your cell phone can be turned on remotely and used as a bug by the police. Did you know that?

And you failed to see my biggest point, Celliach. I truly want to help people. I'm not looking for people to pass judgement on me; I already know my reasons and I'm confident in them. I'm looking for advice how to get started. Would you mind please keeping it to that? Everyone here grows, smokes, or supports it, so I don't see any reason why I should be placed under a microscope. Thanks!

Well....these are things to consider before starting. I am trying to help you by giving you a clearer picture of what you're getting into. It seems like you already have some misconceptions and I wanted to clear them up for you.

Trust me, I want to help you. Ask me some specific questions and I'll try to provide answers for you.

even that sounds like making money, lol ,, the only way you can "MAKE" money doing this is by breaking the law.. sorry to bust your bubble but thats the way it is.. since your only allowed 5 patients.. legally. and they dont have huge amounts of money.. any overages your in violation of the law. no dispensary selling too, no helping non connected patients, you might not be as happy about your choice as it goes.. im sure you have seen the bunk on line,, caregivers make 60k a year.. lol dont believe what the internet says.. you usually see that some were between cg ripped off by gun weilding theives, or cops bust cg for ..... its no walk in the park, and there are lots to tell you,, right here on this site.. Oh forgot to add..once patient gets some meds, it could be a while till they can afford more.. during that time, your garden is still growing and making overages.. or you stop growing, and have a two month hang back till you flower again.. And i was pretty sure last time i looked that mmma is not in favor of selling for profit.. maybe i miss read that somewere..

We all kow where you live if we want to. We just have to follow your ISP address. Something the police have been capable of, and doing for years. Just by posting in this forum you have left a trail right to your house. Not that I think anyone will follow it. I just want you to be aware of it so you can cover your tracks better and start to watch what you say online. Also, your cell phone can be turned on remotely and used as a bug by the police. Did you know that?

Now that scared her away... good one Celliach..

I sure hope Kayla88 didn't leave this site. It seems to me, that alot of us read things into peoples post, that they are not saying or thinking. There were many good comments from members on this post BUT from what I read Kayla88 was looking more for what type of equipment, should she use soil, or something else?? The last thing we need in this day is to chase people away. Just my 2 pennies worth. We are all fighting for the same thing..... I think

It's better to have understanding than heartbreak and/or jail time. No matter how harsh it sounds, it will never be as harsh as a dose of medical cannabis reality, dished out by the local prosecutor, or the heartbreaker of lost crops. Just think about how much 5 patients could pay, then subtract what it costs to grow. It's not very lucrative.

Nope, not chased away! I just had some responsibilities to attend to that didn't involve the internet (life goes on, and all that fun stuff). I fully realize that police are capable of tracking me. However, I also fully intend to keep this 100% legal and have said nothing incriminating. Expressing the desire to attempt to get my card and begin growing is perfectly fine. Yes, I also realize that my address can be traced, but my particular setup does make that a bit more difficult than usual. Even then, I have nothing for anyone to get.

One thing I feel that I should point out here is that someone close to me is a legal grower, so I do realize the pros and cons. I may not have grown myself, but I am not completely wet behind the ears. I have had many discussions with this person regarding this and what to expect.

I am not dumping all of my taxes into it. I do realize that even though all I want initially is to tinker around and get my feet wet, there are still things I will need (grow lights, soil, seeds, and base knowledge to start with, etc). Whether I were to start in a spare closet (that I don't have, by the way) or in an outbuilding makes no difference, really. Besides, I have children and I have no intention of having it in the house. That's why I chose my outbuilding as a location and I certainly don't need to fill the thing up as I get started. Growing is *not* my first priority. My children are and I will do what it takes to make sure I do right by them. Ergo, no closet.

I have been doing research on the MMMA. They do not encourage selling for profit, but they do make clear that adjusting the price above materials cost to cover work hours it takes to produce it is perfectly acceptable. After all, don't we all do that at work?

I'll just end by saying that my posting here is merely requesting second opinions. I am getting most of my information from the person that I know, but I realize that there's things that this person may have not thought of or tips and tricks that all of you know. After all, the saying says that two heads are better than one, so what does that make the thousands of heads that are on here? :P

P.S. PLEASE remember that money is not my only driving force. People seem to have misread my original posting. My main reason for growing is to help people the way I have seen loved ones helped by marijuana. If I can do this and not even make a profit, I'll be happy. Profit is just an added bonus.

Almost forgot, I have one more question. What are the laws pertaining to gun owners and growing? I have heard that those that use are not allowed by federal law to own a weapon, but my search attempts for growers have produced nothing. Any insight is appreciated.