Requesting Advice On Starting Up.

Kayla88

I would advise NOT to have a firearm and a marijuana plant in the same facility.. I was facing a 2 yr min. manditory fedral gun charge due to this reason.. only reason Im not in prison is I won my case, and they had not taking my case to trial it was dimissed.

Edited to correct wording

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also Someone correct me if I'm incorrect with this statement, but the pending bill that pertains to firearms the bill # is escaping at the moment, But I was browsing many of the gun forums, and it seems ANY AND ALL your guns long rifles antiques all of them must now be registerd as a pistol, Hunting rifles included.. I believe That goes into effect 90 days after the bills passes or before Jan 1st..

I will try and locate the threads and disscussions about this subject.. but if any of you know more please enlighten me.. cause thats seriuous buisness for ANYONE that owns a gun or Rifle.. it will mean no more shotguns for home protection unless its registered, remember MM card holder cannot purchase or buy ammo, or a firearm at this time.. ATF letter..

I would make sure you contact a lawyer about the subject of firearms, cause its a scary charge to be facing , no doubt about it.. even if you can beat your MM charge its a felony to possess a gun and a marijuana plant gun saftey control act of 1968.. A lawyer should be able to answer that free of charge but yeah..be very careful..

So how are my 2nd amendment rights somewhat intact if I would get in trouble? I get the feeling you're telling me it's both legal and illegal and I'm a little bit confused! Lol

That is exactly how the government works.

Bull Schuitte has stated when he was presented with a Queston of Mi Medical Cannabis Card holders and gun ownership, he stated "Gun Owners that are Acting with in accordance to the law will be protected." Trouble with that statement is Cannabis users, even those under the State MMM Act, are criminals according to Mr Schuette. This allows him to say, yes, im for gun rights, so long as your not a dirty pot smoker.

I did find this link though about some new gun laws that were up 25 yr manditory charge vrs a 2yr if someone is injured or killed by a firearm..

I will post the stuff I was talking about about the new bill being proposed, its a nasty one and the gun forums are in there fighting with us on at least that particular bill..

http://michiganmedic...__fromsearch__1

I definitely agree that there isn't much money in it unless you are also your own caregiver because just the cost of your own meds is worth providing for yourself. That being said I would just get some cfl's to start with and some good seeds. Once you get them started and looking good then you can always upgrade to some bigger lights but be aware that the bigger lights and heaters are going to make your electric bill skyrocket every month so if you don't have consistent yields and patients you might be coming out behind some months. You should look into local compassion clubs in your area because they have good info and if you know an experienced caregiver like you said it would be good to get his advice and help. My learning curve would have been a lot cheaper and faster if I would have had an experienced cg helping me start up. Hope this was helpful Kayla and good luck to you.

I think you set a tone in your post when you started out with this: "Hello, everyone! As you will probably know by reading this, I'm new to the site. My fiancee and I have been discussing for a month or two about the possibility of me getting my caregiver license. Honestly, the idea just randomly occurred to me as I was attempting to pay all of my bills with my sadly meager paycheck. Even though it was a sudden idea...."

Despite whatever your good intentions are, you'll struggle to find real patients with this opener. The patients I talk to scrutinize their prospective CGs very thoroughly. Despite whatever background you have that taught you the benefits of MMJ, the first thing patients will read, and the thing that they will remember will be that the idea of becoming a CG occurred randomly to you as you were thinking about how to make more money.

So I'd leave that part out. Think about it. Would you choose a Dr. who isn't actually a Dr. yet, but he said "I wasn't making enough money as a diesel mechanic, and one day the idea popped into my head to become a Dr. So I wanna be a Dr. and I hope you will be there as my first patient. But I'm sure I'll be a good Dr., so sign me up today."

yeah...me neither

I'm curious why your CG mentor didn't clue you in on where/how to find genetics.

Edited by Highlander

Well - my welcome to you.

I saw the range of advice and your replies. You have done some legal study in to the law so that is a good start.

no one really covered the growing aspects and how it translates in to a job as a medical marijuana healthcare provider. First start small - Be a CG to your spouse, your spouse being eligible to be a patient. The main reason to be a CG, is you will be spending a lot of time working in the grow, you may be picking up clones from someone else. you can also hold an additional 2.5 ounces in the house, as the patient's backup supply.

Pick a serious room, the amount you can grow does translate to the amount of space. You cannot grow 12 plants in a 3x3x8 closet.

The room has to be prepped - I cover the walls and ceiling with 6mil semi-clear plastic, use quality tape to cover the seams. Tarp doubled over for the floor. If you had carpet - put down some ply wood to make the floor stable. You want to seal the room to make it pest proof and control its environment of humidity and temp. A half donkey grow room will act just like that - and give you problems. Design the room to succeed.

You will make contact with a club or attend a cardholder event (another reason you need the CG card) - there you will find people close to you, and that is your connect to clones. I have ordered from overseas - Attitude Seed bank - and received my seeds in 10 days.

You will do your own study, because every grower has their own way to grow, and some contradict each other. you want happy plants.

You want to conduct this as a business, in a sense of being consistent and reliable. After you have at least 2 -3 grows under your belt, you can baseline your production and decide if you can take on another patient.

Good luck

I think you set a tone in your post when you started out with this: "Hello, everyone! As you will probably know by reading this, I'm new to the site. My fiancee and I have been discussing for a month or two about the possibility of me getting my caregiver license. Honestly, the idea just randomly occurred to me as I was attempting to pay all of my bills with my sadly meager paycheck. Even though it was a sudden idea...."

Despite whatever your good intentions are, you'll struggle to find real patients with this opener. The patients I talk to scrutinize their prospective CGs very thoroughly. Despite whatever background you have that taught you the benefits of MMJ, the first thing patients will read, and the thing that they will remember will be that the idea of becoming a CG occurred randomly to you as you were thinking about how to make more money.

Yes, I see how that seemed now. I guess the idea had simply never occurred to me before. I was thinking about ways to come up with some more cash, and a conversation randomly popped in my head where a person I know had been talking about their finances through being a Caregiver. I'm definitely not under the delusion that I'll be producing quality bud right off the bat or making thousands a month. If I can get 1-2 hundred a month after expenses, I would be THRILLED. Even then, helping people is my main priority.

http://michiganmedic...on-starting-up/

• How do I get started? My research shows no guidelines for obtaining seeds.
  • Are there any special considerations with children in the home? I have an outbuilding I would use that can be heavily secured.
  • What should I know about the environment the plants need to thrive?
  • What materials should I plan on needing?
  • What is the best way to learn with my license? I don't know how accepting a patient would be of sticking by me while I muddle through trial and error
  • Besides materials, what are the up-front costs of becoming a caregiver?
  • What is the best advice you can give a noob like me?

1. seeds? order online from big seed bank.

2. make sure only you have the key to open the door in your 'locked, secure facility'. find out way to get kids never to tell other people you grow. either by telling them the truth or telling them nothing and not allowing them to find out.

2a. some mmma patients have had cps take kids. its a possibility.

3. plants need 80 degree temps most of the time. too hot/cold stunts growth. there are books on growing medical marijuana, check it at library or buy a copy.

4. lights, fans, dehumidifyer, growing medium + pots, nutrients, ph tester, pest control

5. get some grower with experience to help first grow. it breaks rule #1 but everyone needs help.

6. stress, anxiety, $5 to send letter certified mail, a room, electricity, time - at least 2 hours a week.

7. never tell anyone you grow. get a calender or app or something to remind you what needs to be done, keep a journal of what you have done. write down temp, ph, etc every time you check it. never tell friends/family you grow. make sure plants arent visible from outside. do not put pot leaf anywhere e.g. keychain, shirt, flags, stickers, magnets.

i think the average age of a mmmp patient is ~40. mostly older, retired people who will not have big money to transfer medicine with. you've heard of people who 'have to decide whether to eat or buy their prescriptions' , well thats a reality here in michigan as well. its also difficult for them to compensate for mmj.

Edited by teethpain

Teethpain, you are incredible! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for! What is the best way to ensure that the smell doesn't leave the area? It's a tossup between using my outbuilding (which I'm thinking twice about since it needs 80 degrees and it's unheated) or a room in my basement that my fiancee has dubbed the "zombie shelter." It's a room about 10ft by about 4ft. Either way, I need to contain the odor.

I sure hope Kayla88 didn't leave this site. It seems to me, that alot of us read things into peoples post, that they are not saying or thinking. There were many good comments from members on this post BUT from what I read Kayla88 was looking more for what type of equipment, should she use soil, or something else?? The last thing we need in this day is to chase people away. Just my 2 pennies worth. We are all fighting for the same thing..... I think

Growing is an iffy proposition. If one is serious, it is a good idea to go into it with both eyes wide open and aware of the pitfalls. That being said, it can be very personally rewarding (not so much monetarily rewarding) to provide a product that brings relief to someones suffering. The high point for any serious grower is not monetary reward, but personal reward. If you really want a rewarding occupation, do it for love not money.

http://michiganmedic...on-starting-up/

6. stress, anxiety, $100 caregiver fee, $5 to send letter certified mail, a room, electricity, time - at least 2 hours a week.

What is the $100 caregiver fee you speak of? There are many costs associated with becoming a CG, but this has never been one! (unless something changed THIS week that I am unaware of)

oops. i confused the two fees, thought they were the same. edited post and removed it. my bad.

@kayla88 :

for smells, there are a few options.

most use carbon filters and fans. the carbon filters have to be replaced every couple of months.

there is also an ozone generator , its a more advanced way to fix the smell.

there are instructions on the internet for setting up a grow room. they include everything you will need to know.

Edited by teethpain

Teethpain, you are incredible! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for! What is the best way to ensure that the smell doesn't leave the area? It's a tossup between using my outbuilding (which I'm thinking twice about since it needs 80 degrees and it's unheated) or a room in my basement that my fiancee has dubbed the "zombie shelter." It's a room about 10ft by about 4ft. Either way, I need to contain the odor.

Depending on number of lights and space used temps of 80* is about normal. the lights give off a lot of heat.

Insulate the walls and maybe add a drywall ceiling with insulation between the rafters.

I am guessing you live in a farming area, Do you know how to run a backhoe? I can give you an ideal for a semi passive ac system.

Oh and read read read everything you can get your hands on. Borders books has a decent selection of grow books.

Edited by Fat Freddy

So if I use a space heater with a temperature control knob, do I compensate down (due to the lights) to achieve the 80 degrees?

If you are going to use the bunker put the space heater on a timer for the night cycle. It should maintain a temp of not less than 65*

Veg cycle can be as long as 18 hrs day, night cycle 6 hrs. Flower is a 12/12.

I would start small and cheap until you know for sure this is what you want to do.

The outbuilding is not good. Being uninsulated it would be near impossible to regulate temps and humidity without adding even more electric consumption. How many amps are in the building now? One 15A circuit will not run HID and heaters both. I would also be concerned of the noise and light leaks. Anyone walking within 10 feet will hear the fans and blowers, and any small crack or hole will show a beacon of light for all to see.

I think your basement is a better starting place. Maybe invest in a grow tent to put down there. They are very easy to setup. Add lights and ventilation and you have a garden. GOOD LUCK!

If your worried about someone tracking your location you are too late. Every internet provider has a specific ISP number assigned to your computer location.

I would think LEO has people on here posing as patients anyway. I would just stay within the MMM Act and hope for the best.

The advantages of starting small are you gain needed experience. Growing decent meds is not as easy as some would think. There is a lot of things you will learn along the way.

If I might recommend a book for your winter reading, " Marijuana Garden Saver " by J.C stitch Edited by none other than the legendary Ed Rosenthal.

It has a lot of good information and illustrations. ISBN 978-093255191-7 Cost around $18.00. might be able to find a gently used copy on ebay for less.

Edited by Fat Freddy