Need A Lawyer That Deals With Ssdi And Is Knowledgeable Of Medical Marijuana Law

mishanee

I am trying to find an aggressive lawyer to file for social security disability. I have filed once and was denied through the whole appeal process. I am now at the point where I need to file all over again from the beginning. One of the reasons SSA denied my because I was honest and admitted that I used marijuana for medical purposes along with other points that they labeled as "inconsistencies". I live in Michigan south of Detroit and have been out of work since 2010 and without an income since June 2011. I really need a lawyer that will go to bat for me...my diagnoses are bipolar disorder, depression, generalized anxiety disorder, possible PTSD, severe degenerative arthritis in my knee along with bone spurs that were removed in 2011 during surgery. My knee needs to be replaced but due to my age (41) the doc wants me to hold out as long as possible. I also have fibromyalgia and recently in the last 2 months have been told that I have bone spurs in my lumbar spine. I would really be grateful if someone could at the very least give me the name of a lawyer that I can trust to handle these issues and also does not require payment unless I am granted SSDI. Thanks for reading.

What area are you looking in? where should he/she be close to?

I recently just got a lawyer and was approved after 2 years of waiting..

Edit, sorry I missed it south of Detroit... I will see what I can dig up. I had asked the same thread title as you its somehwre with a list of responses..Hopefully it is still on the backlogs of the forum

Well I have posted so many topics since that thread It won't allow me to go back that far, hey least I'm being productive ;)

There were a few replies to my post about this subject, and they were very helpful hopefully the members will chime in and help out..

Being someone who was FORCED to get SSDI, I am reserving judgement on all of your "qualifications". When the SS people make a decision, it is usually pretty close to being correct. They have years of judgements from people only wanting a check and nothing more. "Bipolar", Do you have a year in an institution confined involuntarily? "Depression" Pretty soft excuse. "Generalized Anxiety" Are you F@cking kidding me? This gets doubled, ""Possible"" PTSD. When I got to this I became angry with you for wasting my time reading this and other reasons I will not go into. Did not read the rest. Good luck with your search finding a way to live off the government.

To Trix...thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and taking the time to be helpful.

To El Tiberon

WOW, I thought this was a FRIENDLY site that provides members with a way to meet and interact with others so that we can learn from their past experiences.

What makes you think you have the right to judge me and imply that I am someone "only wanting a check" and "finding a way to live off the government"? Do you know me personally? NO Have you walked a mile in my shoes and know the effects that my medical problems have on me mentally and physically? I THINK NOT. In my opinion, your post should be flagged as inappropriate and is simply disrespectful and just plain hateful.

I'm sorry to hear it made you angry and you feel you wasted your time reading my post. However, aren't you wasting others time also by posting your "soap box" rant and the display of immaturity by swearing for no reason? It seems to me that you wasted your own time by posting your comment.

I feel sorry for you as you obviously have some unresolved anger about something and/or someone and hope you can get help to let it go instead of taking out on an innocent by stander that was reaching out and asking for some helpful information.

Have a wonderful day.

I am glad you found the help you need with the information Trix gave you. You have real issues that LARA needs to include as conditions for medicating with cannabis. This is something that has affected myself and my family for many generations. This is a real issue that many can attest to as being very debilitating. Your physical ones can be seen on x-rays, MRI's, and cat scans. The mental issues are as real as the physical ones but can not be recorded within the sense as the physical ones and the rep behind them is something that needs to be over come in our society.

My mother was so frightened by the fact our mutual doctor wrote down she was depressed. She feared they would lock her up with that simple wording typed up and placed in her records. My grandmother was locked up in a mental institution and given shock therapy several times. My mother was shuffled among several homes during this time. She loved her mother dearly and suffered greatly for the rest of her life from being torn away from her mother for too many times when she was a mere child. Depression era baby whose father died before she was born in a TB army clinic. My mother and grandmother were two of the most giving woman in my life. They taught me love and the greater good of giving to others. My grandmother's only sin was to have been born during a time that manic depression was not understood and shock therapy was the norm. The last time she came home she no longer was the same loving mother she once had been.

It is time that what is referred to as mental disorders, a term I despise, is no longer thought as of a cop out to the world. These are as real issues as physical ones are and should not, as no one would suggest that real pain issues or diseases would be, blamed on the person that has the unfortune of being born with or having such trama in their life which caused them to suffer with devastating issues such as PTSD.

Edited by restlesslegs

I'm also bi-polar and understand you completely, sorry, I know how difficult it can be. I have created a book on bi-polar disorder which I intend on sending in once they have convened the medical review board to add new conditions. Wish us luck.

You will find many different types of people on here, but in general, they are good people, just hurting and need something to beech about.

• 1 month later...

I found my dead son with a gun between his legs two years ago. Depression and mental illness IS real and kills people every day. He was not on any assistance, but should have been. Maybe he would be here today to enjoy our lives together had he been. He worked every day.

I found my dead son with a gun between his legs two years ago. Depression and mental illness IS real and kills people every day. He was not on any assistance, but should have been. Maybe he would be here today to enjoy our lives together had he been. He worked every day.

Am so sorry

I have been taking Torey to Easter Seals for over 10 years they can help

Here is the # 248-372-6800 they have been around for 50 years and are inn many Countys and States

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Hate to say it but what helps depression the most is putting in a good days work and becoming a contributing member of society again. My sister is bipolar and she never imagined trying for SSI. I watched my daughter die in the hospital and was out of work for more than a year and this does not qualify me for SSI. Your bone spurs are a fairly common condition- trust me it is going to get worse as you get older. I have pain shooting down my elbow and cramps in my low back as I type this. You work through it. Get off your A$$ and get to work. Your life is not over yet my friend. The good news is that 41 is still YOUNG!!!

Good luck- I hope you find satisfaction. fulfillment, and happiness rather than what it is you are apparently seeking.

Hate to say it but what helps depression the most is putting in a good days work and becoming a contributing member of society again. My sister is bipolar and she never imagined trying for SSI. I watched my daughter die in the hospital and was out of work for more than a year and this does not qualify me for SSI. Your bone spurs are a fairly common condition- trust me it is going to get worse as you get older. I have pain shooting down my elbow and cramps in my low back as I type this. You work through it. Get off your A$$ and get to work. Your life is not over yet my friend. The good news is that 41 is still YOUNG!!!

Good luck- I hope you find satisfaction. fulfillment, and happiness rather than what it is you are apparently seeking.

That is really uncalled-for. Unless, of course, you are a psychologist. Then maybe the OP should take your advice as to how to cure his depression.

Secondly, your arguments fail on many levels. The OP listed many conditions. You proceed to pick them apart by saying person A had one of his conditions and that didn't qualify person A. Person B had one and that didn't qualify person B. It's a bit like telling someone they shouldn't qualify if they have cancer and nauseated from chemo because you know someone who was upchucking once and they didn't qualify.

The OP has listed many conditions including fibromyalgia. It is entirely possible that he qualifies given the cummulative issues. Furthermore, a diagnosis of depression doesn't mean he is as depressed as person C. There is a wide spectrum of depression. We don't know how depressed or how bad his PTSD is. I think we ought leave this up to doctors to decide, don't you?

I suggest to the OP that he collect his medical records and visit a reputable disability lawyer. Most won't require up-front payment as they will take it out of the lump sum you receive for your back benefits if you qualify.

Being someone who was FORCED to get SSDI, I am reserving judgement on all of your "qualifications". When the SS people make a decision, it is usually pretty close to being correct. They have years of judgements from people only wanting a check and nothing more. "Bipolar", Do you have a year in an institution confined involuntarily? "Depression" Pretty soft excuse. "Generalized Anxiety" Are you F@cking kidding me? This gets doubled, ""Possible"" PTSD. When I got to this I became angry with you for wasting my time reading this and other reasons I will not go into. Did not read the rest. Good luck with your search finding a way to live off the government.

sorry that is total B.s No one has more real records than I do!

Half of the people on ssdi are on it for some kind of anti social disorder or head problems, a woman can get it like right now, I applied for my back, and they still send you to a shrink to get checked out, no matter what you are trying to get ssdi for your gonna go see one of their shrinks!

O.p your biggest problem Im sorry is your age, and maybe color and sex! (i mean no descrimination) it is just the way it works, it took me 8 yrs of fighting for ssdi, as soon as my last appeal went thru I went and got another attny and had them do the application and all, I was very good at answering a lot of questions with f-you or f-off, when my attny seen my 2nd app, he decided he would fill out the app for me, I got denied, I went all the way again and on the last appeal we got it! 8 yrs back pay, whoo hoo, I never gave up and never would have!

Now as far as your mm, I wouldnt say anything, is it in your primary care dr.'s medical records for you? they dont do a urine screen, most people who spend alot of time in prison get on ssdi imediatly after they get out, so id say you have a great chance, but find a way to pay your bills until that day finaly comes, I was 38 when i started, I got it at 45 or 46, again im not trying to be prejudice, its just the way our messed up government works, when a woman gets put in the hospital for a mental break down, they are usualy put on ssdi before they get out of the hospital, its all good, they try and see if you can do any kind of job, usualy ssdi isnt more than minimum wage, well I dont know, i figure i get about 270.25 a week now, well my monthly income is 1'102..00 its almost as much as i made a week, but hey it is one hell of a lot bettter than nothing, and getting all the back pay I was able to pay off all my bills and start from scratch so i could almost live with that kinda pay, and the insurance isnt all that bad, but im thinking it will get worse!

If you need a great ssdi lawyer I can hook you up, you ask him about the mm, im betting he wont want to use it unless he has too, pm me I will give you the phone number, he is down in macomb county but he came up to baycity for me and the hearings!

'El Tiberon' That was a pretty unfair statement about people being on it with mental problems, where would you have them get there money, walking the freeways collecting emptys?

Best of Luck to You op!

Peace

Jim