New Day New Problem

bestingr

Well yesterday, I posted a picture of 1 of my girls curling and crinkling....

Today, during my investigations I discovered this....

It appears almost like a white mold...? Honestly, lol, it looks like melted perlite.

What is it and how do I combat it? The plant appears to be in good shape.. but heck I'm learning new stuff all the time.

2012-10-02_15-14-30_199.jpg

That is probably mycorrhiza," the roots" of some fungus.

That can happen if the dirt does not dry out enough between waterings. Nothing to really stress about. Just water less. Try lifting your pots before watering. If they are dry on top but still heavy, wait a day to water.

I have even had a bloom of mushrooms in several pots before. Natures way of saying water less.

Mushroom spores are like mold spores, they are everywhere waiting for the correct conditions to become active.

A lot of organic soil mixes add beneficial mycorrhiza to their mix, could have just got out of hand if to much moisture was present.

R

Edited by I wood

is it on the plant or its on the dirt? the picture you have looks like dirt.

what is the humidity like in your room?

are you running a fan on it? you may want to point the fan at your dirt to dry it out a little more.

wet dirt can cause root rot.

fungi like wet dirt.

you have wet dirt.

It's quite a decent area now, and it's in more than one spot on the plant. Also, the part where I took a picture is turning from a white color to a orangish....

Mycorrhiza turns beige to light orange when it dries out. Still nothing to worry about in my opinion.

is it on the plant or its on the dirt? the picture you have looks like dirt.

what is the humidity like in your room?

are you running a fan on it? you may want to point the fan at your dirt to dry it out a little more.

wet dirt can cause root rot.

fungi like wet dirt.

you have wet dirt.

Mold was on the dirt - nothing on the plant. Humidity is low like 30%. I believe it should be higher for vegging plants. Yes there is a fan.

Mycorrhiza turns beige to light orange when it dries out. Still nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Ok, thanks. I actually scraped the top layer off and replaced it with new soil.

• 2 weeks later...

Does it hurt to let a plant dry to the point it begins to wilt and then water?

Does it may sense to note each time a plant is watered in soil and get some idea of when the next watering cycle should be necessary? I don't grow myself but my caregiver uses masking tape and notes the date and interval and tapes it to the container every time he waters/ferts each plant. He says it gives him a good idea when the next watering will be necessary and he doesn't need to heft the pots to check the weight as often. But he is lazy.

Lastly, I think he spreads some sand on the top of each pot to deter fungus gnat and that also may help.

I don't think he'd eat the mushrooms however.

Edited by outsideinthecold

this is vastly enormous subject.....but if you let the soil dry all the way out...you will kill off the beneficial fungus and other microbes in your soil. your plant depends on these other things to process the organic matter in your soil. really , find the book teaming with microbes

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qisbn=9780881927771&cm_mmc=shopcompare-_-paid-_-pricegrabber-_-Books&zmam=19032945&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=9780881927771

not my site nor my book no funds changed hands lol....just a great book for soil growers of all kinds.