Medical Marijuana Supporters Not Donating To Obama

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2012/12418/medical-marijuana-supporters-not-donating-to-obama/

WASHINGTON, DC — Four years after enthusiastically supporting Barack Obama, marijuana supporters and activists are closing their checkbooks to the president’s re-election bid.

800px-Obama_thinking-300x199.jpgThe reason: Anger over the Obama Justice Department’s crackdown on medical marijuana dispensaries after Obama himself promised in the 2008 campaign that he would not use federal “resources to circumvent state laws on this issue.”

“We’re all bummed out about it,” said Dale Gieringer, state coordinator of California NORML.

Gieringer donated $2,300 to Obama in 2008. This year, Gieringer won’t give Obama a dime, much less vote for him.

“If not for this issue, who to vote for would be a no-brainer,” said Amanda Reiman, California policy director for the Drug Policy Alliance. “The medical marijuana community was ecstatic when Obama was elected but now four years later, it feels like bait and switch.”

Steve DeAngelo, whose Harborside Health Center in Oakland, Calif., was targeted for closure last July by U.S. attorney Melinda Haag, said that although he gave $500 to Obama in 2008 and got about 10 friends and family members to donate the same or more, he’s not contributing this year and may not vote for him.

“It’s hard for me to vote for someone who thinks I’m a criminal,” he said.

Obama campaign spokesman Adam Fetcher declined to comment.

Quantifying the dollar value of medical marijuana donations to the Obama campaign is difficult, but the 2008 total was likely to have been in the millions. The total this year appears to be substantially less.

Four years ago dispensaries were blossoming in California and other states such as Colorado. The business got a shot in the arm in 2009 when a Justice Department directive to U.S. attorneys reiterated Obama’s campaign statement, telling them not to prioritize cases in which medical marijuana providers were acting in “clear and unambiguous compliance” with state law.

But the prospect of a strengthening political and financial juggernaut – Big Pot – was dashed last year when a subsequent Justice Department memo accused the industry of being more concerned with profits than serving medical patients.

Since that second directive was issued by Deputy Attorney General James Cole in June 2011, U.S. attorneys have written letters to landlords ordering them to cancel leases with dispensaries, the IRS has told operators they can’t take normal business deductions, and banks under pressure from Washington have closed dispensary accounts.

At their height before the crackdown, medical marijuana dispensaries in California employed approximately 20,000 people and paid $125 million in taxes on revenues of a billion or more, said George Mull, a Sacramento lawyer who heads the California Cannabis Association. Of the 1,000 or so dispensaries, only 400 to 500 remain open, Mull said.

Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney has made no secret of his antipathy to marijuana. GOP vice-presidential candidate Paul Ryan said states should decide the issue for themselves, but campaign operatives subsequently insisted Ryan agrees with Romney that marijuana should remain illegal.

Romney’s position leads some advocates and entrepreneurs to see Obama as the lesser of two evils.

“People who care about medical marijuana are torn between disappointment and disaster,” said Ethan Nadelmann, New York-based director of the Drug Policy Alliance.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama needs to win. Both Obama and Romney aren't worth voting for, but if Romney gets elected med mj dispensaries , patients , caregivers etc are gonna feel the heat because Romney is against med mj. I know Obama didn't stop raids on dispensaries etc but he did turn a blind eye and let DEA do what they wanted to . Romney would be instructing DEA to shut down everything to do with med mj . Obama needs our vote unfortunately.

You have no evidence to support these claims. As A matter of fact, Rommney will leave it up to states. So where do you get these facts.

Obama needs to win. Both Obama and Romney aren't worth voting for, but if Romney gets elected med mj dispensaries , patients , caregivers etc are gonna feel the heat because Romney is against med mj. I know Obama didn't stop raids on dispensaries etc but he did turn a blind eye and let DEA do what they wanted to . Romney would be instructing DEA to shut down everything to do with med mj . Obama needs our vote unfortunately.

Ok since Romney is "Going to leave this up to the states" where did you get that fact? Even the debate Romey spewed Lies and Couldn't back up any facts he threw out . So I don't see how any thing he says or has said could be true. Just because your louder then another person and ignorant and interrupt another candidate while they are speaking doesn't mean your gonna help the country and speak the truth on what your gonna do is gonna happen and make you better then the other. Romney is so full of crap and I am sorry you don't see this. I am not stating that Obama is much better. Romney says something and then later says he never said it or he changed his mind. Glad you believe that he is "gonna leave it up to the states".He has stated many bad things about medical marijuana also . I am not gonna post everything that he has stated , You are very capable of going to google and researching that yourself. But he has stated"pot is a horrible gateway drug" and also That its "not an important Topic" Trying to avoid how he feels because he is against it., He also stated that He would fight tooth and nail not to legalize marijuana for medical use because it's just a ploy for the public to legalize it. Many videos of him saying this . Let me guess ? He didn't say this either? lol.... I know I said you know how to research for this yourself but I guess Ill post a link up for it , I could also say I never said that instead above just like romney does? http://americanlivewire.com/mitt-romney-on-medical-marijuana-i-would-not-legalize-marijuana-for-medicinal-purposes/ .. You can say that well that isn't a worthy news source , but it is plastered everywhere on news sources. I am not claiming to know everthing 100% , I am just voicing my opinion , which I live in the US so I have a right to do so . Also yes my grammer isn't the best for the grammer police out there , and I really don't care , I do the best I can , I do have other Disabilities other then phsyical so judge me all you want .

Obama has be a big Obummer handling the DEA and the Medical Cannabis, or the Cannabis issue in general. But Romney would be far worse. Lets not forget OUR AG Bull Schuette is Smitt Mitts Mi Campaign Manager, and look at Michigan and the AGs persecution and prosecution of Legitimate Pts and CGs here in Mi, and when the state cant do it legally, then he pushes it to be a federal case...

I ll make this easy, if Mitt Romney is elected, you will see our State AG, become our Federal AG. Say it out loud so it sinks in DEEP.

Mitt has denounced cannabis as medicine, even to the detriment to his own wife's ailments. Though I would not doubt he would be down with her using it to help her ailments. they are Entitled afterall and not criminals, but you, you all are dirty druggies.

FEDERAL ATTORNEY GENERAL BILL SCHUETTE..

Now if you're not running to the bathroom to finish Puking, If it is only between Obama or Romney I ll vote Obama.

But until I know that my vote for Obummer puts him in for a 2nd term, comparred to Romney for ANY term, I ll be Voting for Gary Johnson. I ll only vote Obama, if it means keeping Romney out...

Edited by Timmahh

Obama > Romney and I'm pretty much as anti obama as you can get. NTHlights has clearly never seen anything ever on Romney on MM as well as Timmah horrifying point that I had forgotten, BS being FEDERAL ATTORNEY GENERAL holy sh*t would that be scary, I'm sure he's got a system ready to go where all electrical companies must notify authorities if the monthly usage is over a certain amount, then the search warrants will be printed out at the beginning of each month and we'll all be in fed prison by 2014. That may all sound like I've had a bit too much medicine today but if you let Romney and his boy Bill in there calling all the shots all MM patients/cgs and anyone associated will be in jail no questions asked. Pharmaceuticals don't like competition and both of those men make lots and lots of money from pharmaceutical companies, don't be ignorant we're going to loose either way but you have to cut your loses where you can and Obama is clearly the best choice out of what we have as options regarding MM.

Obama > Romney and I'm pretty much as anti obama as you can get. NTHlights has clearly never seen anything ever on Romney on MM as well as Timmah horrifying point that I had forgotten, BS being FEDERAL ATTORNEY GENERAL holy sh*t would that be scary, I'm sure he's got a system ready to go where all electrical companies must notify authorities if the monthly usage is over a certain amount, then the search warrants will be printed out at the beginning of each month and we'll all be in fed prison by 2014. That may all sound like I've had a bit too much medicine today but if you let Romney and his boy Bill in there calling all the shots all MM patients/cgs and anyone associated will be in jail no questions asked. Pharmaceuticals don't like competition and both of those men make lots and lots of money from pharmaceutical companies, don't be ignorant we're going to loose either way but you have to cut your loses where you can and Obama is clearly the best choice out of what we have as options regarding MM.

I wouldn't be surprised if Romney had us all shot, end of his problems!

according to a high times article, since obama has been in office, raids on medical marijuana dispensaries have been even worse than when george w was in office. i always thought obama was a wannabe rock star. hes got a weak spine. i dont really like romney either though to be honest, he doesnt like medical weed according to high times. the republicans should have picked herman cain. who cares about the allegations, look what clinton did and it was no big deal. im more of a ron paul or gary johnson kind of guy. republicans suck and democrats suck even more. lets kick the 3rd parites up a notch so we realistically have more than 2 choices every 4 years. not intending to offend any democrats or republicans here. i have friends who are registered members of both parties. just my opinion. but the high times article is fact.

Edited by chernobyl

Don't like Obama's position on mm? Don't like Romney's?

Here is why you should be voting Obama.if you are a one issue, mm, voter. If Romney wins then he will be more likely to also succeed at a second term due to the incumbent affect. That means whoever runs on the dem ticket in 2016 is less likely to win. So what if the dem candidate in 2016 is a very mm friendly candidate? Well, all of a sudden s/he is already at a disadvantage. So regardless of whether you think Romeny and Obama are the same on the mm issue, that is by no means a good reason to throw up your hands and then toss a dart to make your choice.

i wont be voting for either of them myself. if romney or obama says they will leave it to the states and some one proves to me where they said that. that candidate gets my vote. i could care less about the feds since i only have a small operation which the feds already seen one of my old ones anyway and didnt care about it.

Do not care, but he has said it before, Maijuana will not enter in my decision making, and it looks to be Rommney for pres. The basic law cant be touched by feds, those that are smart will never see them. I am not stupid enough to vote based on pot, does not make or break any deals for me.

Romney will fight medical marijuana tooth and nail As A matter of fact, Rommney will leave it up to states. such misinformation sorry Ntlights you have your facts wrong,,

Edited by nthlghts

We will see. If Obama is elected America will learn a hard lesson. I do not care about the pot issue, I will be going Romney.

Dont count your chickens before they hatch this elections far from over and your either refusing to see what we see or like you said above you dont care .

This election is way more than just cannabis its the begining of the next 10-20 year conflict Mitts chomping at the bit to wipe out Iran and cutting his buddies taxes some more all while bending over the middle class and feeding the youth of america to the meat grinder known as the US Military..

I suppose if we leave the middle east it will all go away and not get worse and drag us in anyway, ROFLMAO! Top earners pay 80-90% of taxes and the middle class would be fine if not for Obama, so follow the leader it suits you. And on Iran, if you are so foolish you do not see what they are about, then you can not be helped. War is a fact of life, and the USA is prepared, for that I am grateful.

This election is way more than just cannabis its the begining of the next 10-20 year conflict Mitts chomping at the bit to wipe out Iran and cutting his buddies taxes some more all while bending over the middle class and feeding the youth of america to the meat grinder known as the US Military..

i wont be voting for either of them myself. if romney or obama says they will leave it to the states and some one proves to me where they said that. that candidate gets my vote. i could care less about the feds since i only have a small operation which the feds already seen one of my old ones anyway and didnt care about it.

I would suggest to you that you take a look at the video in nthlght's post (17) maybe this will help you in your decision making process. I believe what you are talking about is a statement made by the rep vp candidate Paul Ryan back a week or so. He did say that he thought it was a states right issue, however, I do believe that the campaign later walked it back. Hope this is of help to you.

Right on brother from another mother!