Chernobyl

chernobyl

i've been growing them normal, you know vertical, no topping, no training except in mid flower my main stem would always seem to stretch too much so i started bending it. by the time they finish the buds seem to be too heavy for the stems to support. i looked on tga subcool's official site and they actually recommend topping or training as soon as possible. ever since i have been doing the LST. i always liked this technique anyway. little longer veg but the extra yield is far worth it. hoping my next batch will have better flavor as i started using a little horticulture grade honey during the waterings when i dont feed. also since its cold outside now by drying conditions will be way better after adding a humidifier. i dont have any extra rooms at my place for drying LOL so i just hang plants/branches in the kitchen or living room. almost thinking of building a small 4' cube with a controller for temp and humidity. my house isnt nearly big enough for what i want to do. only 2 bedrooms (flower rooms, 1200 watts of lighting each)less than 10x10 and a 5x5 tent in the living room for veg. i think you'll really like how sticky and crystally it gets. the potency is definitely there as well despite the official tga subcool site only saying 17%. i thought it was very easy to grow. handles high nutrients well. i also thought it was a lot more tolerant to heat than other strains i have grown. this last summer i had a major heat issue. after getting to know the plant structure of this strain, i think it would be perfect for a scrog. had a little problem with some of my newer clones stretching but i think it was from lack of lights since at the time my veg was a bit over crowded.

the plant in the back that is all shriveled up is my grinspoon that has been in flower for 20 weeks. it was severely heat stressed and wouldnt flower at first. now it's showing some flowers but they are nothing special. im almost tempted to cut it down since its taking up so much space and over 6 feet tall. i got 2 others that have been in flower for about 8 weeks looking much better but not much for buds. you have to be very light on feeding too. my huge one also is nutrient burned because about a week ago i tried giving twice the normal dose. i kinda want to leave it and let it finish though since its been so long. having trouble deciding.

Edited by chernobyl

Heat is a complain on indoor plants, looks like the Chernobyl has seen some environmental stress as well and is recovering nicely. She has some frost on her, too. Bummer about the Grinspoon, it looks gnarly from the pics around the grow forums. If you are looking for a heavy near landrace sativa Golden Tiger from ACE seeds is intriguing (Malawi Gold x Meiao Thai).

yeah i had a major heat issue this last summer. mainly due to a problem with my equipment supplier taking literally over 2 months to order my mini split ac. wasnt even enough anyway to cool my room. waste of about a grand. next time i do a setup im going with all 1000watts with a chiller. i really am liking hydro innovation's products. another problem i had is my co2 generator produces way too much heat. for one, natural gas burns hotter than propane and i cant be hauling tanks every 2 weeks where i'm at. it's water cooled but i have city water at that place so running it drain to waste is too expensive. i got it recirculating now with a water pump and 55 gallon drum. the water gets so hot though. i added a 1/10 hp chiller and it still gets over 120F by the end of the light cycle. at least i can run it the full 12 hours now as without the chiller i could only run it about 6 hours or so and the water would get too hot and the generator would auto shutdown. man i tell you i did co2 the expensive way. think i paid 400 something for my generator. another 400 for the chiller. 2 water pumps each around 100 each. one for the chiller one for the generator. pissed me off though the entire summer i couldnt run it because i had to leave my room doors open for cooling. still legal with my doors unlocked because the house is kept locked at all times, aka locked facility.

i got a couple clones from the grinspoon and they are doing so much better than the mother. it's so weird they stretch for so long into flower. it's like they dont actually start flowering until a month or so in 12/12. my new ones have been in flower for over 8 weeks and bud is just starting to form. it's weird because the bottom where there is little light have small buds, but the tops have nothing and keep stretching.

i got another sativa (80%) called y griega from medical seed company out of spain. its kali mist x amnesia. stuff smells amazing, like a grape bubble gum. having a problem with leaves yellowing, think i was feeding too much or too often. according to the company it was the 2nd highest thc content recorded by canna gas chronography think it was. who knows how accurate they are though. could just be a sales gimmick. stuff is very crystally in mid flower. just kinda disappointed that some of the fan leaves are looking bad. some ppl try to tell me thats normal but i know for a fact yellowing of the leaves is not normal unless your at the end of a flush. imo the only time leaves should be dying off are on the bottom when they don't get enough light if you have bigger plants.

that golden tiger sounds cool. i will have to look her up. thanks for the info.

i grown chernobyl quite often with only fresh air exchange no co2. Chernobyl does great in heat. i noticed when you grow it in 70-75 degree weather they don't do as well as in tempts of 85-90. Here is a picture of my last grow of Chernobyl at week 7.

very nice. that looks amazing. thanks for the info. my first chernobyl, actually the mother i got now from last summer had temps over 90 and still did awesome. no co2 at that time.

what medium are you in and what nutrients are you using?

Edited by chernobyl

Do you have pics of the leaves?

I have often heard of heavy sativas maturing bottom up. Did you flower directly from cut, or did you veg?

i can get some pics when i go there next. the huge one with that was heat stressed , nute burned, and is over 20 weeks of flower is from seed. dr grinspoon, feminized, heirloom and pure sativa. barneys farm seed bank. ordered from single seeds. its 6'6'' tall, 3'6'' wide on one side, 3' wide on the other. i pulled it out last night and am probably just going to make it into edibles. the 2 others are clones from it looking much nicer. they are over 8 weeks. i vegged them for a bit too long. flowering much faster probably because the temps are much nicer than the mother had in her first couple months of flower. Edited by chernobyl

i think i've grown chernobyl 7 times. record weight was 7.7 pounds from 4k watts with only 16 plants. the key to this plant is canopy control the longer you veg the bigger the cola. topping and super cropping is a must. during veg as the plants grow you have to twist the stems every 5-8 inches also do it in the first 2 weeks of flower it helps from the plant reaching into the light and produces huge nuggets. the key is to veg it so the plant is root bound. this grow i did 50%coco and 50% happy frog. during veg it was completely organic and i brew teas. during flower i used advance nutrients and a few additives like massive from green planet and Roots Excelurator by House & Garden. this is the 7.7lb harvest i'm showing you and how i did it.

day 1 of flower

P1000085.jpg

week 2

P1000157.jpg

week 3

P1000168.jpg

week 4

P1000176.jpg

week 5

P1000186.jpg

week 6

P1000194.jpg

week 7

P1000188.jpg

P1000190.jpg

after week 7 they are pretty much done growing and you flush for 2 weeks it the leaves are yellow and your about 10-15% amber

i'm warning people if you decide to grow this strain it will not be fun. this strain will test how good of a grower you are. the hardest strain i have ever encountered. very picky on nutrients very easy to nut burn. temps you have to keep stable at 80-85. this plant likes high humidity 55-65% but heavy air flow is a must very easy to get bud riot. on a side note it is resistant to powery mildew :yahoo-wave:

i'm warning people if you decide to grow this strain it will not be fun. this strain will test how good of a grower you are. the hardest strain i have ever encountered. very picky on nutrients very easy to nut burn. temps you have to keep stable at 80-85. this plant likes high humidity 55-65% but heavy air flow is a must very easy to get bud riot. on a side note it is resistant to powery mildew :yahoo-wave:

very amazing grow. im really impressed. i actually thought it was an easy strain to grow myself though. the only problem is i used to grow them regular, no topping or training and the buds got so heavy they fall all over so i had to use stakes and wires to keep them up. now im just training them. i would add more pics but i really hate the uploading process on this forum with the gallery and all. seems like my chernobyl doesnt seem too sensitive to nutrients but i've always been a light feeder. now that grinspoon is sassy. almost no nutrients. also i would agree, that chernobyl is very mildew resistant. i had a minor pm problem with a holy grail kush and 2 chernobyls were right next to it. i didnt see even a spec spread to the chernobyl. also tga subcool says they recommend topping or training as soon as possible and i see why. oh yeah, i was a bit overcrowded so it hurt my yield, but i just pulled 10 ounces off 3 plants the other day. i just use 600s. i only harvest a few plants at a time. im trying my best to get a perpetual harvest going. they also say chernobyl is medium yield but i found it to be pretty generous. your grow really amazes me. you got pretty close to a gram a watt. awesome job! i think my favorite thing about this strain is tons of crystals, and low leaf to bud ratio. trimming was easy and fast.

Edited by chernobyl