Need Help With Air Conditioning

Darkmatter

So I need to buy a new air conditioner but I have some questions as it might be a hefty investment so I want to make the right choices.

1st off my needs are as follows:

I will be running 5000 watts soon so I need a heavy duty AC unit, and I want one that is reliable. Perhaps 18,000 BTU

I have a window box attached to a basement window that I exhaust out of. The current hole is 4"

I have an electrician that will run me a circuit for it, but I want to try too keep it at 15 amps.

My questions are:

What are these split level AC units? Do the really need no exhaust? How well do they perform?

Should I just buy another floor model like I had before? It was a 9000 BTU floor unit I got from wal mart.

I want to keep my temps nice, and I want to be ready for summer, so this is something I have to do. I just don't know much about AC,

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

great rule bison....

Darkmatter..

i ran a 15k portable unit this year and it barely kept up.. i have 2600watts in my bloom area...

the split air units are awesome... pricey but very cool.. they dont have to vent exhaust directly from the room... they are very much like a home central air unit where the compressor sits outside and the blower is inside so no direct venting...only they are for one area specifically.. rather than the whole house... also i would recommend one with heat... so u can use it in a duel function role in the winter...

if u have concerns about odor these units are not exchanging the air in the room to cool the compressor so u dont have the smell venting to the outside...

the portable units like the 15k one i was running this year are not near as efficient... but will suffice when u need it... i had to use a portable... or cut a new hole.. my window opening is to small for a window unit... but i ended up venting my portable unit under the house because out the window and i could smell my garden when i pulled up in my driveway... air conditioning vents do draw smell from the room...

if i could afford it.. i would for sure invest in the split style unit and directly cool/heat the air without the smells getting outside...

good luck bud...

and my advice is.... whichever one u think is going to be a big enough unit... automatically get the next bigger one.. we are always expanding and what works today wont be big enough in 6 months... new bulbs... new filter who knows.. but something seems to always be changing around here....

i am just finishing my design phase for LHB's system....

:gym:

Thanks for the info guys! :bow:

So I am to understand that the split level units have a compressor outside? Are they difficult to install? Could the electrician that hooks up my circuit hook that up? I am set up for the regular floor units but the more I think about it the better the split level one is sounding. But it also sounds like it might be a PITA to install.

Wow looks like I am looking at the 24000 BTU units now <_< Price may force me to go with a portable model...

Bear in mind that a 120 volt, 15 amp circuit will handle up to about 15000 btu's, leaving little or no room for other devices. Newer units typically are rated at 12 volts, and earlier models about the same, but with about 14000 btu capacity. Anything more will require a 240 volt circuit or, if you intend to use separate 12 volt circuits for each unit up to the maximum btu specification, multiple units are an option.

When I last searched the net these guys were the cheapest...

www.ac-world.com/

Best part was when I researched it further they are in the Ferndale area and you can just go, pay cash and pick it up and avoid shipping charges if you are close enough.

Installing a split ac will require more than an electrician. You will need some knowledge of ac systems and a vacuum pump to clear the connecting lines prior to filling them with the precharge in the main unit. And, if the distance between the outside unit and the inside unit is more than specified, usually 15 ft, you will need to add freon. This is a simple process, but you will need the tools to do it.

Edited by semicaregiver

I'll throw this site out for you to look at because it carries the top brands unlike ac-world.

http://www.goductles...ults.asp?Cat=34

Here is some good reading on mini splits.

https://www.icmag.co...ad.php?t=244393

https://www.icmag.co...ad.php?t=238773

https://www.icmag.co...ad.php?t=233190

Edited by shishka

I have a Toshiba 18kBtu unit. It's super quiet, less than 65 DB at operating levels. We installed it ourselves and I'd do it again in heartbeat. Just need a vac pump to evacuate the inside coils and some vac oil to lube the connections to the compressor.

I bought it for around $600 on special for a pre-order with a 6 month lead time. I think they still run less than a grand now for anything under 24kBtu.

So I need to buy a new air conditioner but I have some questions as it might be a hefty investment so I want to make the right choices.

1st off my needs are as follows:

I will be running 5000 watts soon so I need a heavy duty AC unit, and I want one that is reliable. Perhaps 18,000 BTU

I have a window box attached to a basement window that I exhaust out of. The current hole is 4"

I have an electrician that will run me a circuit for it, but I want to try too keep it at 15 amps.

My questions are:

What are these split level AC units? Do the really need no exhaust? How well do they perform?

Should I just buy another floor model like I had before? It was a 9000 BTU floor unit I got from wal mart.

I want to keep my temps nice, and I want to be ready for summer, so this is something I have to do. I just don't know much about AC,

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

i got a mini split ac and yes, they really have no exhaust. cost my around $1000. problem is i hate it. it doesnt even close cool enough and was not easy to set up. i would i would have bought 2 stand alone ac's instead. mine was 10 amps. didnt save crap really compared to a normal ac. it has 2 parts. your ac is this big rectangular thing you mount on your wall. it sucks in air, blows it over copper coils, and blows it out. those copper coils hook to a compressor unit. you mount this outside. so you will have to drill a hole in the wall to run the copper coils and power cord. the ac unit always seems to freeze up on me. i would have been almost better off flushing that $1000 in the toilet. the brand is aura systems. even window acs would have been better because of the price.

if you're going to spend extra money, get a chiller system instead. mini split acs are more for home use imo. from my experience i will never use one in a garden again until i see someone who has a setup with one that works good. i've seen chiller systems and they're far superior.

I've had an Ideal Aire 24k Mini-split running for well over a year, a DIY model I installed myself. It's cooling 6k of lights, bare-bulb, in 2 sealed rooms right now. The 24k AC keeps up just fine with the heat load from 6 bare bulbs, but I'm not adding any more light, and I'm glad I didn't get a mini-split any smaller than this one.

I've been very happy with performance and efficiency, but I think the next build larger than a few lights would involve a chiller. Once the mini-split is installed it's not very easy to change the setup, and it's been difficult to get the second room cooled with only one cool air source.

Edited by boroboro

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...