Michigan Freedom Of Information Act, Illegally Blacked Out?

thecannabiskid

I received a copy of a incident report via a Michigan Freedom of information act, that had two suspicious spots blacked out. I suspected this was to protect the officer who filed, or npd. I planed to file again to see if they blocked out the same spots twice. When my Mother got an evection notice posted at her door there was a copy of the same report, but the sections were no longer blocked out.

The blocked out parts are the following, the underlined parts were blacked out on MY copy.

MARY advised me that DAWN lives in the apartment is leased to only her. However MARY continued and stated she has found out that DAWNS Son, Girlfriend and child live at the apartment also but are not on the lease. MARY stated she had contact with the son and said he wasn't a very nice person. I advised MARY she needed to start the eviction process if other persons are living in the apartment that are not supposed to be there.

they also blocked out a little part..

JOHN asked me what I wanted. I informed JOHN I was there on a complaint for possible noise.

So I was wondering if this was illegal, I don’t believe it is… I also wondered what others would think about this.

I guess the primary question is, why would they omit something on the paper work they gave me, but leave it in on the paper work the manager filed, and posted on my Mothers front door. If it was confidential, it would be omitted from all public records? If it was confidential, why are my eyes looking at it now? either way it seems off..

they blacked it out on FOIA because other people need not know names. they didnt black it out on yours, because you will need that info in a court. just the person who made the foia didnt know you were privy to that information...

as for cps, they can reopen a case at any time, for any reason.

No one here can answer that without knowing all the facts. As Celliach stated, above, documents will be either denied or heavily redacted when there is an ongoing investigation. Without a timeline (not yours, the cop's) as well as being privy to all facts there is no way anyone here can give you an answer. Someone could have told you that the case was closed and maybe it essentially was. But it is possible that it technically wasn't and thus certain info was with held. There is a difference between a case being closed as far as outcomes and a case being administratively closed. If you think you are/were being denied info that should have been provided then talk to a lawyer. There are statutory damages and attorney fees available for those denied info that should have been divulged.

yeah thanks, one question maybe someone can answer, when documents are denied or partly withheld is the state required to give me paperwork that says why? The paperwork from the eviction is mostly blacked out, presumably because of my patients info, there was also copy of the request that gives a reason for the parts that were exempt.

i believe it is blocked for you due to being pvt information. for your mother, who was directly involved, she legally must be informed. But if this other person that was blocked out on your FOIA info was another pvt citizen, that may be why their personal information is redacted on non involved parties.

Just an option that I can think of that may be the reason for it.

sorry i did not get that, I thought you meant his name, personal info was blocked out.

I agree on blocking Statements relevant to the case, regardless of origin, should not be redacted, unless their is a name, or address ect within that statement, then those names/addys could be redacted perhaps.

Edited by Timmahh

well get your own place and maybe your mother can live a peaceful life, are you still in high school? do you have a job besides being a c.g in your mothers rented house, does your mom have to move so you can have a place to live? cps hmmm been there done that, and there was a reason, not a good one but a reason, time for your mother to start living her own life and you too!

Peace

Jim

I like how you imply I am livin in the apartment and that im just a headache for my Mother. The way you lived with and treated your own mother has nothing to do with me. you my friend would make a good leo officer with all your presumptions. By the way who do you think you are asking me about my education and employment statis?