How To Write-In Gary Johnson On Your Michigan Ballot

How to Write-In Gary Johnson on your Michigan Ballot

Due to Michigan’s controversial “sore-loser law,” Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate for president, will not appear on the ballot in Michigan this November. However, he is on the ballot in at least 47 other states and is considered by many to be the only candidate with a mathematical chance of winning, outside of the two-party majority rule, of course. The Michigan for Gary Johnson Facebook page recently posted a tutorial on how to write-in Johnson in Michigan (see below). Since not everyone uses Facebook, we wanted to extend this important information to our users, too. Our mission here at CompareMyCandidates.com is to provide brutally honest information on all of the candidates, not just the Republican and Democrat candidates like the mainstream media.

Sadly, the Michigan GOP has pulled out every dirty trick in the book to keep Governor Johnson off the ballot in Michigan. Despite this, we are not going to be shut out and you will be able to vote for Gary Johnson as a write-in candidate.

There is usually little room on the ballots to write-in a candidate’s name, so while “Gary Johnson” and “James P. Gray” have both turned in the neccessary paperwork, your vote should be counted by writing in “Gary Johnson, James P. Gray” as well as checking off on your ballot that you are voting for a write-in candidate.

Depending on how your ballot looks, this may be a circle that needs to be filled in, a line that should be connected, or something else. It will be consistant with the rest of your ballot.

Will writing in Gary Johnson spoil my ballot?

Absolutely not, we have gotten no indication that doing so would spoil your ballot. There were issues raised with this during the 2008 presidential primaries, however the Secretary of State has said that their office will count write-in votes for president as long as the person is a registered write-in candidate.

What do I have to do to make sure my ballot is counted?

Indicate on the ballot that you are voting for a write-in candiate for president and write “Gary Johnson”

Why do I have to write-in Gary Johnson? Why isn’t he on the ballot?

After the Secretary of State refused to remove Governor Johnson and Herman Cain from the 2012 Republican primary ballot, she informed us that the state’s “sore loser” law applied, and that governor Johnson would be ineligeable for the general election ballot. Despite a series of lawsuits in US federal court, we have been unable to change this.

If I vote straight ticket libertarian, will I still have to write-in Gary Johnson?

Yes! Even if you vote straight ticket Libertarian party, since there is no slot for the Libertarian Party under the presidential candidates, no vote for president will be counted unless you write in “Gary Johnson, James P. Gray”

Do I need to write in Governor Johnson and Judge Gray?

While we have been told that votes for “Gary Johnson” will count, we officially recommend writing in “Gary Johnson and James P. Gray”.

I'm going to say it one more time:

Gary Johnson is not on the ballot in Michigan because all the Libertarians decided to leave their party and support a Republican, Ron Paul, instead. As a result, Johnson had no campaign infrastructure in Michigan and the petitions to place him on the ballot were not turned in on time. Yes, the people that should have supported the Libertarian Party kept the candidate from that party off the ballot by not supporting their own party. I'm not blaming it on Ron Paul, I'm blaming it on Ron Paul supporters.

BTW, I Googled "Michigan’s controversial “sore-loser law" and the only place that law is ever mentioned is in the article above and one statement by Johnson himself. I'm not sure there is any type of "Michigan’s controversial “sore-loser law," in place in Michigan at all. It appears to be made up by the candidate and his party.

Hmm, the Detroit Free Press seems to be aware of the Mi Sore Loser Law, whether you are or not.

Johnson was barred from appearing on the general election ballot by the state’s “sore loser” law, which prohibits a candidate who runs and loses in a primary election from later appearing under another party banner in the general.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120921/COL05/120921080/libertarian-gary-johnson-will-not-appear-on-michigan-ballot

Just because you are not aware of the Laws, does not mean the rest of this sites visitors are as Un-educated the others.

Nice of you to call the Site Visitors Stupid. Way to lead.

Edited by Timmahh

considered by many to be the only candidate with a mathematical chance of winning

Seriously? Mathematically? You are kidding right? Now that is the fuzziest math ever know to man.

"he is on the ballot in at least 47 other states and is considered by many to be the only candidate with a mathematical chance of winning, outside of the two-party majority rule, of course."

why did you stop reading?

"he is on the ballot in at least 47 other states and is considered by many to be the only candidate with a mathematical chance of winning, outside of the two-party majority rule, of course."

why did you stop reading?

Goes without saying, we all know he's outside of the two party system. The funny part was that anyone. let alone MANY, think it's mathematically possible to jump over the moon. Mathematically, no less. It's funny because you take something like mathematics, a concrete science, and stretch it like it's silly puddy. It's just silly and funny.

There may be some reasons to vote for Johnson, but winning isn't one of them.

well thankfully this is supposed to be about picking the best candidate. yes that's right being the only person in the whole country that made the right choice is better than being amongst thousands who played the role of the thoughtless sheep. you are correct there are reasons to vote for gary johnson, and that's a hell of a lot more than i can say bout the obmney twins.

you see the quirk in this ruling is Johnson never Lost the primary, he Withdrew, Thus never actually competed for the GOP Nom, thus never lost the primary.

He didn't withdraw. That's the problem. He missed the withdrawl deadline.

MICHIGAN ELECTION LAW (EXCERPT)

Act 116 of 1954

168.695 Ineligibility of candidate at subsequent election.

Sec. 695.

No person whose name was printed or placed on the primary ballots or voting machines as a candidate for nomination on the primary ballots of 1 political party shall be eligible as a candidate of any other political party at the election following that primary.

and that is why he is not Printed as Lib Party Candidate, but does not inhibit any Votes cast for him under Write In...

so basically, he didn't pull his name out of the Rep Pool in Michigan in time to be able to be put on the ballot as the Libertarian Candidate. Though one can hardly call 30 minutes as Missing the Deadline. Kind of Anal Retentive don't you think?

but the Bottom Line, is Gary Johnson is a Legal and BInding Write in Vote in Michigan, whether you like it or not.

and that is why he is not Printed as Lib Party Candidate, but does not inhibit any Votes cast for him under Write In...

so basically, he didn't pull his name out of the Rep Pool in Michigan in time to be able to be put on the ballot as the Libertarian Candidate. Though one can hardly call 30 minutes as Missing the Deadline. Kind of Anal Retentive don't you think?

but the Bottom Line, is Gary Johnson is a Legal and BInding Write in Vote in Michigan, whether you like it or not.

A deadline is a deadline. Make an exception for one and then everyone expects an exception. We have deadlines for reasons. Should the deadline be 4:00 or whatever time you feel like filing? He files at 4:03 and they make an exception for him and then the next late filer wants an exception for a 4:04 filing and so on and so forth. I suppose, given the choice, I want my government to stick to rules so we can all count on them. Seems to me you want the same thing based on your past postings but then you want to make an exception when it is something that you want.

I think a better question would be why the heck did he file late? Something that important and he couldn't get it done in time? Another question: why did he want to switch parties? I think it is obvious why. He didn't stand a chance as a repub so he decided to go where he could get more votes. Seems pretty shady to me. Why would anyone think he would stick to a Libertarian agenda should he actually be elected?

Why would anyone think he would stick to a Libertarian agenda should he actually be elected?

Outstanding point! They got a last minute prom date with the homely girl.

The Libertarians are shooting themselves in the foot trying for some kind of name recognition like they did in the last presidential election.

This just gives you a 'lesser of three evils'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Libertarian Party has become nothing more than a group of disgruntled Republicans. It's been that way since the turn of the century or so. the last two presidential candidates they've run have both been Republicans. (C'mon Bob Barr?!? Really!?!) Personally, I don't think I can trust the party to uphold it's Libertarian ideals anymore , and I stopped voting for their candidates completely. When they get rid of all the Republicans and stop being so pro-big business maybe I'll start voting for them again.