Michigan Medical Marihuana Review Panel

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you might have your panels confused.

in the video he states:

he is the wayne state medical school represenative on the advisory panel for pain symptom management.

and he got volunteered to be one of the 4 physicians from that psm committee to be on the medical marijuana review panel

did you watch the video? did you see his resume where he lists being a member of the panel since 2009?

do you have proof that the review panel wasnt created until 2012? if you do, i would like to see it.

LARA is lying out of their donkey about the panel in the news reports.

Hopefully we will someday be able to understand how LARA operates. That day however is not here. LARA management and spokespersons will tell the press and legislature what they want to hear. Reality and facts do not seem to enter into what they say. However, when you, as a patient, call them and inquire as to the status of your card they seem more than willing to tell you the truth. My most recent example was LARA testifying to the legislature that they are approving cards within the required 20 days. The same week they told my patient the truth over the phone, "your caregiver change card will take 30-60 days from cashing the check".

With respect to when the review panel was formed, I would have to say there is no reason to believe that a panel has previously existed. This has been an endless subject of discussion since the Act was established. Keep in mind, LARA is a group than can not even follow the law regarding a card machine. The law called for pics on the cards. They went out and bought a machine that couldn't do that.

Hopefully we will someday be able to understand how LARA operates. That day however is not here. LARA management and spokespersons will tell the press and legislature what they want to hear. Reality and facts do not seem to enter into what they say. However, when you, as a patient, call them and inquire as to the status of your card they seem more than willing to tell you the truth. My most recent example was LARA testifying to the legislature that they are approving cards within the required 20 days. The same week they told my patient the truth over the phone, "your caregiver change card will take 30-60 days from cashing the check".

With respect to when the review panel was formed, I would have to say there is no reason to believe that a panel has previously existed. This has been an endless subject of discussion since the Act was established. Keep in mind, LARA is a group than can not even follow the law regarding a card machine. The law called for pics on the cards. They went out and bought a machine that couldn't do that.

I'm not one to side with LARA or MDCH, but when we do criticize them, we ought to get the facts straight. First off, you are confusing LARA's timing regarding Patient Applications with your own experience with Change Forms. There is a big difference between the original Patient Application and a Change Form. The law requires review of the Patient Application and approval or denial within 15 days. There is no time-frame outlined for Change Forms. And LARA is taking full advantage of this.

Next, the law does not require photos on the cards. The law leaves it up to the department to decide if a photo is necessary.

(e) The department shall issue registry identification cards within 5 days of approving an application or renewal, which shall expire 1 year after the date of issuance. Registry identification cards shall contain all of the following:

(1) Name, address, and date of birth of the qualifying patient.

(2) Name, address, and date of birth of the primary caregiver, if any, of the qualifying patient.

(3) The date of issuance and expiration date of the registry identification card.

(4) A random identification number.

(5) A photograph, if the department requires 1 by rule.

Criticize MDCH/LARA for their many shortcomings if you like, but please keep it accurate, otherwise people will likely dismiss your position as a foolish rant...and that drags down our cause.

T-pain. I am sorry you don't understand or don't want to understand but unlike you I am in the know and many others here are as well. THERE WAS NO SEATED BOARD ON CONDITIONS UNTIL NOW! He may have known he was going to be invited to be on it, but prior to now it did not exist, period. Now that the official board is seated he is on it, but anything prior to now is BS.

• 2 weeks later...

i thought there was another thread on this but i cant find it now.

for the petitions to add conditions or treatments to the michigan medical marijuana act, seen here:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/Medical_Marihuana_Review_Panel_Petition_Packet_10-12_400189_7.pdf

i had an idea to reuse the sucessful petitions from other states. as they would be complete and have the relevent scientific studies attached to them.

not sure where to start looking for those petitions. FOIA? other states mmj forum sites?

evidence of efficacy! I have tried almost every anti depressant/anxiety drug and adhd drug and been through withdrawals twice. I would like to ask the panel to give me something that works.

The panel does nothing but review applications to put more medical conditions on the books as being reason to use MMJ. They do not recommend drugs for anyone or find treatment for conditions or have anything to do with anything but their stated purpose. If MMJ is helping you with that condition and you believe that others can be helped, why not put an application in for your condition?

all petitions need to have scientific evidence, double blind studies (which are pretty much illegal in the usa) are what they want.

here is a report from the arizona medical marijuana review board, on a petition to add PTSD to its qualifying conditions.

http://www.azdhs.gov...itions-PTSD.pdf

they actually went one further and scanned all of the relevent papers and documents in the databases for ptsd + cannabis.

finding very little studies that indicated any effeciacy...

so if someone has a paper/study thats not listed in the above pdf, that would be really nice to submit.

i think what would work better is to treat the symptoms of PTSD

so if you cant find a study on PTSD itself, find studies on anxiety, stress, insomnia, and other things that ptsd patients suffer from. then attach those studies to the ptsd petition.

it might also be a good idea to submit petitions to those symptoms which are under a contition that doesnt have a study available. so you submit a ptsd petition, an anxiety petition, a stress petition and an insomnia petition. that way if PTSD petition is rejected, maybe the insomnia petition will be accepted. from there it isnt hard to prove that a person who suffers from PTSD, suffers from PTSD induced insomnia. thus getting your safe access to marijuana.

arizona mmj review board rejected:

ptsd

general anxiety disorder

depression

migraine headaches.

the board listened to the heartfelt testimony from the public and basically told them sorry, no study, no approval.

but that migraine sufferers were able to get a rec under the 'chronic pain' condition.

http://www.azdhs.gov...2Memorandum.pdf

Edited by t-pain

all petitions need to have scientific evidence, double blind studies (which are pretty much illegal in the usa) are what they want.

here is a report from the arizona medical marijuana review board, on a petition to add PTSD to its qualifying conditions.

http://www.azdhs.gov...itions-PTSD.pdf

they actually went one further and scanned all of the relevent papers and documents in the databases for ptsd + cannabis.

finding very little studies that indicated any effeciacy...

so if someone has a paper/study thats not listed in the above pdf, that would be really nice to submit.

i think what would work better is to treat the symptoms of PTSD

so if you cant find a study on PTSD itself, find studies on anxiety, stress, insomnia, and other things that ptsd patients suffer from. then attach those studies to the ptsd petition.

it might also be a good idea to submit petitions to those symptoms which are under a contition that doesnt have a study available. so you submit a ptsd petition, an anxiety petition, a stress petition and an insomnia petition. that way if PTSD petition is rejected, maybe the insomnia petition will be accepted. from there it isnt hard to prove that a person who suffers from PTSD, suffers from PTSD induced insomnia. thus getting your safe access to marijuana.

arizona mmj review board rejected:

ptsd

general anxiety disorder

depression

migraine headaches.

the board listened to the heartfelt testimony from the public and basically told them sorry, no study, no approval.

but that migraine sufferers were able to get a rec under the 'chronic pain' condition.

http://www.azdhs.gov...2Memorandum.pdf

this is not completely on topic but relevant when talking about PTSD---this is the leading research group conducting studies on treatment of PTSD---

I know they are mostly advocating psychedelics as the most effective for treatment of PTSD but they are strong proponents of mmj also for treatment--

if you take a minute to look at their site you will see there is a headline with ..."FDA says yes ...NIDA says no to mmj studies for veterans"....

also note how the dea approved their research with MDMA to treat PTSD--

this is the first group that has had governent approval to use pshycedelics in research since Timothy Leary --

and they have been doing it since the 80s

the veterans need to stand up for this--

chit they fought and almost died for our privileges--

and I know a lot support mmj-

hope this helps someone...

knowledge is power

the number one rejection reason is 'no scientific evidence'..

here is all of washington's (yes i know i502 passed) petition reviews:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/IllnessandDisease/MedicalMarijuanaCannabis/PetitionstoAddQualifyingConditions.aspx

they acknowledge that its illegal under federal law and thus there wont be many studies. that however does not change their opinion. i'm just listing these to get an idea of what we'll be in for at the michigan panel. if you know of other states please list the petition review findings.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.michigan....ce_401831_7.pdf

PUBLIC NOTICE

The Michigan Medical Marihuana Review Panel will meet in regular session for 2012 as listed below:

DAY DATE TIME LOCATION

Friday 12/14/2012 1:00 PM Library of Michigan

Auditorium

Library of Michigan Auditorium

702 West Kalamazoo

Lansing, MI 48933