Officer Beats Veteran For Denying Unlawful Search

Woman claims Durham officer beat her

Video Link

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/video?id=8871503&pid=8871479

DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) --

A Navy veteran claimed police brutality during a scuffle in Durham, but police said the woman was resisting arrest.

Some of the incident was captured on cell phone video and could shed light on what really happened.

Although the video is dark and blurry, friends of the alleged victim are heard on the video yelling for the officer to stop.

"Don't hit her man, don't hit her, come on bro, that's a female."

Twenty-five-year-old Stephanie Nickerson said the incident started when police showed up at her friend's home early Sunday morning. The police were called about a disturbance and wanted to search the house.

Nickerson said she told her friend that she didn't have to let police in, and that's when things escalated.

"He was like put your arms behind your back, and I jerked my arm away and said no I haven't done anything wrong. And immediately after I jerked my arm back he threw me on the ground, he held me by my neck, and punched me repeatedly in my face and head," Nickerson said.

Meanwhile her friends said they stood by, watching helplessly.

"He was hitting her with all his force. I could see him going all the way back, hitting her as hard as he could, and there was nothing I could do," eyewitness Tahveya Platt said.

Nickerson was charged with resisting arrest and assaulting an officer. Both she and her friends insist the second charge didn't happen, especially since she claims to have been thrown on the ground with her hands pinned behind her.

"You can hear the officer, even though he has his knee in my back and my face is in the ground, he says don't hit me, don't hit me. How am I hitting you when I'm down on the ground, pinned, beat up?" Nickerson said.

Nickerson filed a formal complaint with the police department and is looking to hire a lawyer.

Durham Police said the complaint is being investigated by the police department's professional standards division, which is standard procedure.

Typical b.s., we try to live within the rules of society and get busted left and right while they stray further and further from the straight and narrow with little or no consequences...and they wonder why no one respects the laws or their enforcers anymore. Willing to bet that this LEO doesn't do one day for this attack, he may get some paid vacation tho...what a sham, what a shame...j.b.

Why would they investigate? Obviously the whole department is in on it. I bet they are just keeping up appearances, you know for the master plan. I KID

Seriously, horrible incident I think if she was in the Army and with her fellow soldiers the officer might of received the beating.

I do think in general police are way less brutal then any other point in our history. The fact they constantly get caught on camera must be a deterrent for most. Some might say they are just more careful but the harder you make something to do the numbers of people who will try lessen.

Thanks for serving illuminati

What sources did the article use? To be certified as a cop in this state you have to pass testing that weeds out dumb people. So what you are saying is they somehow select the people who score in the lower half of a scoring range and dump the high scorers?

They would probably hire the candidate who scored in the lower range if that candidate also had other attributes which are considered desirable in a police officer: i.e. physical attributes.

What sources did the article use? To be certified as a cop in this state you have to pass testing that weeds out dumb people. So what you are saying is they somehow select the people who score in the lower half of a scoring range and dump the high scorers?

I'm under the impression (at least half of me is) that it's more like trimming off both ends of the bell curve.

I'm under the impression (at least half of me is) that it's more like trimming off both ends of the bell curve.

The state police run their own academy. The requirements and pass score cut-offs on different testing (physical, written, etc)are public info. If you make the cut then you proceed further in the selection process. There is no subjective analysis nor is there an IQ test. What dept. do you know of that administers IQ tests? I don't believe that even exists. You sure you aren't just making this up?

http://nyletterpress...oo-intelligent/

http://www.nytimes.c...-iq-scores.html

Here you go some reading material, im sure that it will be blown off , and its all fake right..

A US man has been rejected in his bid to become a police officer for scoring too high on an intelligence test.

Robert Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took an exam to join the New London police, in Connecticut, in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125.

But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Mr Jordan launched a federal lawsuit against the city, but lost.

Federal courts upheld the right of a local government to reject persons that have an IQ to high.

Thank you Willy

http://nyletterpress...oo-intelligent/

http://www.nytimes.c...-iq-scores.html

Here you go some reading material, im sure that it will be blown off , and its all fake right..

Let's examine this. The claim is that with an IQ of 125 the recruit would become bored. The idea here being that the municipality would invest X thousands of dollars to train someone whom would withdraw soon and basically be a waste of resources. This is no different than any other employer that refuses to hire someone for being "overqualified." The idea is that you want an employee that will stay with the company. This is not something unique to any organization.

Whether this is acceptable protocol has no bearing on whether a dept. wants "dumb" people. If a dept. rejected people who tested in a genius range that doesn't mean that all they accept are dumb people. I think the behavior we are concerned about with police is brutality and maybe a tendency to skirt the rules. These are not attributes only possessed by dumb people. A person with a genius IQ is just as likely to be brutal as anyone else. Those with an average IQ, which includes the vast majority of the population, make up the vast majority of police and the people frequenting this forum. The standard deviation for IQ is such that probably somewhere near 90% of the population has an average IQ.

With all that being said, the cited article, itself, says the average IQ of a cop is 104. That, folks, is an average, normal, person like most people here. I find it humorous that the article claims the police want a "dumbed down" police force in one paragraph and then in the next it states that the average cop has an average IQ. Show of hands: Who amongst us considers an average person dumb? Using that logic most every company in America has a "dumbed down" work force.

The ultimate point that can be taken from this is that just because a dept. didn't hire someone with a genius IQ doesn't mean you can assume they go off the cliff on the other end to find candidates to fill positions. Is it wrong to reject a genius? Maybe. But then again it is probably wrong to reject ANYONE who is overqualified for ANY job. If a company doesn't hire someone who is overqualified does that mean the company only hires people who are retarded? Give me a break. Let's stop with the grade school assumptions.

Edited by CaveatLector

Let's examine this. The claim is that with an IQ of 125 the recruit would become bored. The idea here being that the municipality would invest X thousands of dollars to train someone whom would withdraw soon and basically be a waste of resources. This is no different than any other employer that refuses to hire someone for being "overqualified." The idea is that you want an employee that will stay with the company. This is not something unique to any organization.

Whether this is acceptable protocol has no bearing on whether a dept. wants "dumb" people. If a dept. rejected people who tested in a genius range that doesn't mean that all they accept are dumb people. I think the behavior we are concerned about with police is brutality and maybe a tendency to skirt the rules. These are not attributes only possessed by dumb people. A person with a genius IQ is just as likely to be brutal as anyone else. Those with an average IQ, which includes the vast majority of the population, make up the vast majority of police and the people frequenting this forum. The standard deviation for IQ is such that probably somewhere near 90% of the population has an average IQ.

With all that being said, the cited article, itself, says the average IQ of a cop is 104. That, folks, is an average, normal, person like most people here. I find it humorous that the article claims the police want a "dumbed down" police force in one paragraph and then in the next it states that the average cop has an average IQ. Show of hands: Who amongst us considers an average person dumb? Using that logic most every company in America has a "dumbed down" work force.

The ultimate point that can be taken from this is that just because a dept. didn't hire someone with a genius IQ doesn't mean you can assume they go off the cliff on the other end to find candidates to fill positions. Is it wrong to reject a genius? Maybe. But then again it is probably wrong to reject ANYONE who is overqualified for ANY job. If a company doesn't hire someone who is overqualified does that mean the company only hires people who are retarded? Give me a break. Let's stop with the grade school assumptions.

Like I said .. trimming off the ends of the bell curve.

So, an average person's IQ is 109? Seems kinda low to me. What is genius range? And why would it be detrimental to be LEO with a high IQ? Seems like a combination high IQ and lots of common sense added to a bit of street smarts would make a good cop. Now let's go find that mythical creature~

So, an average person's IQ is 109? Seems kinda low to me. What is genius range? And why would it be detrimental to be LEO with a high IQ? Seems like a combination high IQ and lots of common sense added to a bit of street smarts would make a good cop. Now let's go find that mythical creature~

I think average IQ is around 100. At 110 you are considered gifted.

I don't think the theory is that it is detrimental to the job of being a cop to have a genius IQ. I think the line of thinking is more one that someone with that high an IQ is going to soon beome bored with the job and move on. So the idea is to NOT put money into training someone that won't be around long. Just like any job where you aren't hired because you are considered "over qualified."