How To Invest In Legalized Marijuana

washtenaut

Ill keep my shares and sleep soundly at night knowing that even if my medicinal right to grow cannabis is taken away, it will eventually be replaced by a legal right to grow cannabis for a recreational purpose...one day...and ill pay my bills all the while. Im getting my piece of the cannabis pie....youd be a fool to not.

I have a feeling I'm being mocked, but I am not sure why you are being such an donkey rectum about it.

Well Zap, I was just having a little fun that was not really aimed at you as much as making light of a sort of naive attitude regarding investing

I don't really feel that my posting should have brought forth such name calling but hey, it is your board and you make the rules

MNTR has an office in an apt. bldg, better than the last co. i was in--they had a vacant lot, and blew apart in a fraud. And Chet Billingsly actually answers the phone, the last co. just had an ans. machine. by the way, if you want to start a disp in michigan, strike now, the time is right and you can get money--investors are looking to get a piece of their own disp. sound the trumpet and strike the harp, this is the promised land prophesied by scripture--milk and honey and weed aplenty and weeed and weeeed.

thanks for heads up for the ethical, or unethical, stock opportunity to have gains or losses in an extremely risky investment.

good read all.

The stuff is an ancient and harmless herb with obvious and historic medical benefit. To conflate it into a substance that requires strict oversight and regulation, a.k.a., profiteering, raping, and pillaging, is a mistake made by advocates for that.

Count me in..

Edited by GregS

MNTR has an office in an apt. bldg, better than the last co. i was in--they had a vacant lot, and blew apart in a fraud.  And Chet Billingsly actually answers the phone, the last co. just had an ans. machine.  by the way, if you want to start a disp in michigan, strike now, the time is right and you can get money--investors are looking to get a piece of their own disp.   sound the trumpet and strike the harp, this is the promised land prophesied by scripture--milk and honey and weed aplenty and weeed and weeeed. 

MNTR has an office in an apt. bldg, better than the last co. i was in--they had a vacant lot, and blew apart in a fraud.  And Chet Billingsly actually answers the phone, the last co. just had an ans. machine.  by the way, if you want to start a disp in michigan, strike now, the time is right and you can get money--investors are looking to get a piece of their own disp.   sound the trumpet and strike the harp, this is the promised land prophesied by scripture--milk and honey and weed aplenty and weeed and weeeed. 

And lo, the angel of the Lord shewed unto me the new Heaven and new Earth, and all else has passed away. We got really high and fell down on the lawn. Dad's Kubota was a b!tch.

Edited by GregS

Here is another company that I think may succeed.  TRTC - TerraTech.   This interview played on Bloomberg around 5:30pm - after the market close today.

This CEO of TRTC will be on Fox News with Stuart Varney on Monday between 11 and 1pm.  This could go higher soon

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/how-terra-tech-helps-marijuana-s-growing-industry-Q8utGC~bTpiZwMCzOwmZtA.html?cmpid=yhoo

I am not familiar with Cara Therapeutics but they have a website  http://www.caratherapeutics.com/   Perhaps Pergamum can add his take on the company

Investorshub has news stories and a message board

http://ih.advfn.com/p.php?pid=squote&symbol=CARA

This is under Investor Overview at the website:

Cara Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing new chemical entities designed to alleviate pain by selectively targeting kappa opioid receptors.

We are developing a novel and proprietary class of product candidates that target the body's peripheral nervous system and have demonstrated efficacy in patients with moderate-to-severe pain without inducing many of the undesirable side effects typically associated with currently available pain therapeutics. Our most advanced product candidate, intravenous, or I.V., CR845, has demonstrated significant pain relief and a favorable safety and tolerability profile in three Phase 2 clinical trials in patients with acute postoperative pain.

We plan to begin Phase 3 registration trials for I.V. CR845 in the second half of 2014. We are also developing an oral version of CR845, or Oral CR845, for acute and chronic pain, for which we have successfully completed a Phase 1 clinical trial to demonstrate the ability to deliver CR845 orally. In addition, Cara aims to develop a future pipeline of first-in-class molecules at novel analgesic and anti-inflammatory targets using its proprietary drug screening technology.

Here is another company that I think may succeed.  TRTC - TerraTech.   This interview played on Bloomberg around 5:30pm - after the market close today.

This CEO of TRTC will be on Fox News with Stuart Varney on Monday between 11 and 1pm.  This could go higher soon

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/how-terra-tech-helps-marijuana-s-growing-industry-Q8utGC~bTpiZwMCzOwmZtA.html?cmpid=yhoo

So a dispensary owner decides that growing marijuana in greenhouses will be the next new idea. He's really got nothing new at all. Just a hope and a dream that he can grow all he wants when he wants.

I hope you guys understand that this business adventure isn't about being successful, it's about convincing people he will be so you will give him money right now.

Investing in stocks is similar to gambling with one huge difference - information.  Here's a simple example to illustrate. 

Player A and Player B are about to play horseshoes.  In a game of chance, you would be asked to place your bet at this point in time.  You would have about a 50/50 chance of winning.

The difference in investing is learning more about the players before laying down your 'bet'.  If I learn that Player A is the current world champion in horseshoes and that Player B is a blind 3 year old child, I will in theory place a more informed 'bet'.

Regarding Terra Tech, I have learned that they have a well educated, well spoken, well connected, CEO from an investment banking background.  When analyzing relatively new companies it is critical to evaluate the abilities of the management.  I think the CEO of Terra Tech is pretty sharp.

Looking at the business plan, I like what I see as well.  They want to get into the production of cannabis but as we know, there are laws still standing in the way.  So, they are investing in very large greenhouses in strategic locations and outfitting them with state-of-the-art growing equipment.  Rather than waiting for the legal changes, they grow salad greens currently and will show a nice profit doing so.  They will have much of the infrastructure in place to make the leap when the time is right.

So, risky?  Yes!!   The same as gambling?  No, not if you can learn enough to make an informed decision.  The more you can learn before buying your stock, the more you can tilt the odds of winning in your favor. 

Investing in stocks is similar to gambling with one huge difference - information.  Here's a simple example to illustrate. 

Player A and Player B are about to play horseshoes.  In a game of chance, you would be asked to place your bet at this point in time.  You would have about a 50/50 chance of winning.

The difference in investing is learning more about the players before laying down your 'bet'.  If I learn that Player A is the current world champion in horseshoes and that Player B is a blind 3 year old child, I will in theory place a more informed 'bet'.

Regarding Terra Tech, I have learned that they have a well educated, well spoken, well connected, CEO from an investment banking background.  When analyzing relatively new companies it is critical to evaluate the abilities of the management.  I think the CEO of Terra Tech is pretty sharp.

Looking at the business plan, I like what I see as well.  They want to get into the production of cannabis but as we know, there are laws still standing in the way.  So, they are investing in very large greenhouses in strategic locations and outfitting them with state-of-the-art growing equipment.  Rather than waiting for the legal changes, they grow salad greens currently and will show a nice profit doing so.  They will have much of the infrastructure in place to make the leap when the time is right.

So, risky?  Yes!!   The same as gambling?  No, not if you can learn enough to make an informed decision.  The more you can learn before buying your stock, the more you can tilt the odds of winning in your favor.

BS He's just a washed up dispensary slob with a sales pitch. I watched the video. You can't sugar coat a ponzi scam.

I don't know.

I wish I would have invested early. One of my patients did. Started off at $6 per share and it is just above $60 per share now. Last I heard anyway. Ten fold increase on investment, wow.

If I had the extra coin I would.

You would be much better off investing in something you know about and use, like those electronic pipes, not a whim and a promise of possible future riches.

You would be much better off investing in something you know about and use, like those electronic pipes, not a whim and a promise of possible future riches.

You are right, but there is just one problem. I do not have a fortune to invest. :)

Since I would want to invest in my own design, it would cost me a fortune.  :D

Investing in penny stocks and in start ups is more risky than in picking stocks from long established companies that report their audited earnings to the SEC.  That is without a doubt the case.  These types of investments are very vulnerable and could be completely lost with about two sentences from Eric Holder.  Do not invest in cannabis companies with funds that you cannot afford to lose.  It is speculative and should only be done with a small portion of your overall portfolio.

Companies that are around for a long time and report financials to the SEC, have a track record of performance.  Past successes bring confidence that new companies have yet to instill.  This performance record is published for all to see though, so most everyone has the same information.  The stock price movements of these companies are very often relatively very slow, barring breaking news items.  At that time of breaking news, they can move a good bit but only until the information is widely absorbed.

Cannabis stocks, for the most part, have little history and most have not had their financials audited or reported to the SEC.  While this provides less information to the masses, the informed individual or the person willing to dig for information can get an investing advantage.  As I've mentioned before, I believe that this community is better able to analyze many cannabis business plans than the Wall St business analysts.  Well, most everyone...but not Resto....lol

To claim that Grow Goddess does not possess special knowledge with respect to growing and producing cannabis seems to me to be a statement that was not very well thought out.

Here is the LinkedIn biography blurb on the Terra Tech CEO  just for Resto who claims that "He's just a washed up dispensary slob with a sales pitch"

Admittedly this doesn't prove that the company will succeed but it does give some credibility to the organization

Derek Peterson's Summary

Derek is the CEO and Chairman of Terra Tech Corp (TRTC) a publicly traded urban agricultural company focused on food production and medical marijuana. He began the company in 2010 as a private startup taking the company public in early 2011. He began his career in finance with Crowell, Weedon & Co, the largest independent broker- dealer on the West Coast. In his 6 years there, Derek became a partner and Branch supervisor where he was responsible for sales of over $10 Million. Derek was offered an opportunity to build a southern Orange County presence for Wachovia Securities, where he became a 1st Vice President and Branch Manager for their Mission Viejo Location. He was instrumental in growing that office from the ground up, into the $15 million dollar office it is today. After his term at Wachovia, Derek accepted an opportunity for a Senior Vice President position with Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, where he and his team oversaw combined assets of close to $100 Million. In addition, he has also been involved in several public and private equity financings, where he has personally funded several projects from Angel to Mezzanine levels. Derek is a CFP® Professional and holds his Series 7, General Securities Sales Supervisor Series 9 and 10, National Commodity Futures Series 3, Series 65 and California Insurance License. Derek holds a degree in Business Management from Pepperdine University.

Long-term success in this sector is far from assured. It is not investment, but gambling, really.

Forget about any specific individuals or companies for a moment and take a giant step back.  Now, in the coming years do you think there will be money made by businesses in the cannabis production or processing industry somewhere in the world?  How about businesses that make cannabis grow equipment or smoking/vaping devices?

If no, then you were right and I apologize.  You can read a different post.  If yes, then read on.

History tells us that the cannabis green rush has been thought to have arrived several times only to find it wasn't the right time.  This time, with the current rise in prices, could be another spike just waiting on the downside.  If you buy stock now you may have to ride out another crash in the sector.  But, the next waves of public interest seem to be right around the corner so I don't think the crash values will last very long before rising again. 

If you think these businesses will make money eventually it is either this very rise that will continue or the next one, or possibly the next one.  Eventually the time will be upon us.  When the time arrives the businesses that do rise will do so incredibly quickly, just like they have with this run up. 

There is not enough information available to know if now is the right time.  There is not enough information to know when or where the laws will change and there is certainly not enough information on individual companies to know which will be the winners.  That is why these stocks are considered speculative.

Right now, you (except Resto) have the investing advantage with respect to cannabis business plans.  You know about growing, usage, processing, and the laws.  If you wait until you are able to pick only the strongest, most well established cannabis companies, you will be getting in pretty late.  Much less risk and so, much less reward.

Not knowing a lot of the answers I took the shotgun approach and bought very small positions in several of the start-ups.  I feel that perhaps 3/4ths of them may eventually fail but the successes will grow to valuations large enough to offset the failed companies.  Because of gains and further acquisition, the better companies have grown to be larger holdings and the worse to be smaller.