How To Invest In Legalized Marijuana

washtenaut

Right now, you (except Resto) have the investing advantage with respect to cannabis business plans.

I learned how to invest from my step grandfather who took a business he owned in Saginaw right up to the point where it traded on the DOW. He taught me to invest in things I know and use. I bought Heinz in 1976 because I like ketchup. That's how you teach a beginner to invest. Ask anyone who knows what they are talking about. You guys are not investing, you are gambling.

He taught me to invest in things I know and use.

What am I missing here?  You are stating my point and then disagreeing with me. 

The point we are both making is that we, long time medical cannabis users, have more information regarding cannabis than does the general investing community.  This IS the sector that what we know  way better than most anyone else in fact.

Look, this may be hard to believe but I was actually trying to help folks here.  I am not promoting stocks thinking that money from this group was materially going to affect the value of my shares.  I was hoping that some could make a few bucks as I know that on disability, you don't make much.  Pergamum, I am very glad to hear that you are doing well with this.  Thanks for sharing.

What am I missing here?  You are stating my point and then disagreeing with me. 

The point we are both making is that we, long time medical cannabis users, have more information regarding cannabis than does the general investing community.  This IS the sector that what we know  way better than most anyone else in fact.

Look, this may be hard to believe but I was actually trying to help folks here.  I am not promoting stocks thinking that money from this group was materially going to affect the value of my shares.  I was hoping that some could make a few bucks as I know that on disability, you don't make much.  Pergamum, I am very glad to hear that you are doing well with this.  Thanks for sharing.

One example;

You are gambling that laws will be made that enables products and services to make you money. It's not the same as investing in something real, like a product or service you can actually use without some sort of manipulation of a law to create a monopoly.

Actually, you are just feeding off each others' investment, not any real generation of profit.

If that's what you want to do then to each his own. But calling it real investing is a little stretch.

Good luck. It's all you got.

Dude, look into that pipe you just filled.  That is a product.  The pipe itself is a product.  The growlights, nutrients, pumps, fans, and reservoirs are all products.  That is what these new companies are producing

Delivery services, doctor approvals, security services, plant tracking services, patient tracking services, etc.  These are all services.  That is what these companies are doing.

All of the money that people pay to illegal providers on a daily basis, THAT is the source of the money.  It will now flow into legal businesses.

Yes, laws will need to change for all of these business plans to work out and not all of them will.  Let me ask you however, was the beer magnate, Busch, a fool to start gearing up his brewing business before prohibition repeal actually passed?  If yes, I want to be as foolish as that billionaire was.

Dude, look into that pipe you just filled.  That is a product.  The pipe itself is a product.  The growlights, nutrients, pumps, fans, and reservoirs are all products.  That is what these new companies are producing

Delivery services, doctor approvals, security services, plant tracking services, patient tracking services, etc.  These are all services.  That is what these companies are doing.

All of the money that people pay to illegal providers on a daily basis, THAT is the source of the money.  It will now flow into legal businesses.

Yes, laws will need to change for all of these business plans to work out and not all of them will.  Let me ask you however, was the beer magnate, Busch, a fool to start gearing up his brewing business before prohibition repeal actually passed?  If yes, I want to be as foolish as that billionaire was.

You keep forgeting that I watched the video. He's selling you a 'maybe someday'.

I already advised to invest in a pipe company but you must have missed it.

OK, it is morning and I have come to realize that I have been trying to place all of the cannabis stocks into a single category.  They don't all fit into one category.  Some likely fall into each of the following three categories.

Some of them are investments, some are speculation, and some are pure gambles.  I apologize for trying to categorize all of these as investments.  That was not correct in my current opinion.

From Wikipedia

1) Investing - In finance, investment is the purchase of an asset or item with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future and be sold at the higher price.[2]  The term investment is usually used when referring to a long-term outlook. This is the opposite of trading or speculation, which are short-term practices involving a much higher degree of risk

2) Speculating - Speculation is the practice of engaging in risky financial transactions in an attempt to profit from short or medium term fluctuations in the market value of a tradable good such as a financial instrument, rather than attempting to profit from the underlying financial attributes embodied in the instrument such as capital gains, interest, or dividends. Many speculators pay little attention to the fundamental value of a security and instead focus purely on price movements. Speculation can in principle involve any tradable good or financial instrument. Speculators are particularly common in the markets for stocks, bonds, commodity futures, currencies, fine art, collectibles, real estate, and derivatives.

3) Gambling - Gambling is the wagering of money or something of material value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods. Gambling thus requires three elements be present: consideration, chance and prize.[1] Typically, the outcome of the wager is evident within a short period.

Some will consider all of these cannabis companies as gambles.  Some will see only speculation and pure gambles and some will see all three.

I have purchased some as investments, some as speculation, and some are simply gambles.

I like how Terra Tech has (on their industry page) a section "Major Retailers Carrying Hydroponic Produce" in which they have logos for Costco, Whole Foods, Walmart, IGA. This will certainly confuse someone perusing the site to assume that Terra Tech is actually selling produce to these huge retailers. Yes, that isn't due diligence on the part of the investor, but I still believe that this is totally deceptive on TRTC's part.

Anyone that thinks that TRTC is anything more than another penny stock gamble is delusional. Sometimes delusional people are lucky, but a rational investor should stay away from this company for now (unless of course they have risk capital that they use specifically for such gambling. It certainly isn't "investing" by any stretch of the word.)

Here's an interesting article and a quote from it.  I think the quote kind of reflects the discussions we've been having in this thread.

"We certainly understand if you don't want to participate in the marijuana trade, but to ignore the legalization story is to deny the fact that right now, the marijuana market could be setting up one of the biggest investment opportunities of the next few years."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-controversial-essay-weve-ever-163000006.html

Anyone looked at cara therapeutics?

This company sounds very interesting.  It seems like they may have gotten a little ahead of themselves on price but we'll have to see.  The stock got carried up by talk of cannabis I think but their primary research seems to be on opiod receptors.  Very well targeted research from the sound of it.  Thanks

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/money/investing/medical-marijuana-stock-and-beyond-cara-therapeutics-ceo-explains

I still have not looked hard into them, i do know of the opiod research and that being there main function, but i have no clue what that is. Google search brings up nothing but more medical terms i have no clue about. From what i have read and understood its very promising, such as curing addiction or preventing it using these. I could be wrong, i understood very little. Off topic, i could have doubled my money from the investments in in trtc over the week, but decided to keep them. They have went down, but im in it for the longhaul.

I still have not looked hard into them, i do know of the opiod research and that being there main function, but i have no clue what that is. Google search brings up nothing but more medical terms i have no clue about. From what i have read and understood its very promising, such as curing addiction or preventing it using these. I could be wrong, i understood very little. Off topic, i could have doubled my money from the investments in in trtc over the week, but decided to keep them. They have went down, but im in it for the longhaul.

Now you are making some sense. Diversify. If you don't know how then buy mutual funds. If you like risk then buy mutual funds that are mostly stocks. Day trading is for weenies.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>why mentor?  why now?   i believe we're in year 2 of a 15-year marijuana disp expansion nationwide.  mntr is a venture capital fund from 1985 that in 2013 changed from early-stage drug investments to weed.  it began as a penny stock and today is $4.40 but is volatile always, as has been to $9.70 and $3.35 in the last month.  mntr is a venture capital fund that invests in vape mnfr's, seed developers, mega grows, and mediblers manufacturing and dist.  operates out of an apt building in ca.</p>

Edited by pic book

• 2 weeks later...

MNTR for three years was .22 to .35, a penny stock.

today it slipped to $2.35, a hard down day.  the selling in MNTR is peeps who converted warrants and had $2 profit immediately (after holding the warrants for 3 years and finally being allowed to exercise).