And Michigan Makes Five ..

peanutbutter

http://www.thecompassionchronicles.com/2012/11/15/michigan-and-four-other-states-to-introduce-marijuana-legalization-bills/

partial article:

Michigan and four other states to introduce marijuana legalization bills

15 Nov, 2012

House Representatives from two East Coast states will announce the introduction of legislation legalizing the recreational use of marijuana today, and two additional states have pledged to follow suit after the new year. The announcement will come via a teleconference hosted by the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP). MPP was the principal financier of the 2008 effort to legalize medical marijuana in Michigan.

Bolstered by the successful legalization campaigns in Colorado and Washington, State Representatives from Maine and Rhode Island will detail their introduction of their legalization Bills. Representatives from Vermont and Massachusetts have pledged to initiate similar legislation after the new year, when legislative cycles are renewed.

Michigan will join suit in 2013. Tim Beck, whose Coalition for a Safer Detroit won their bid to decriminalize marijuana by a 65% vote, told The Compassion Chronicles, “We have good reason to believe that there will be a legalization bill introduced in the Michigan Legislature in the next session. We are absolutely delighted by the turn of events in November. It has had a tremendous impact in the political class in Lansing, and we have some good momentum going.” Five Michigan cities voted yes to adopt pro-marijuana ordinances on November 6th.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from facebook

195681_100003344291631_1485082336_q.jpg

Brad Forrester While none of the bills including SB 1349 are dead, I think most of these bills will come to a screeching halt as the focus of lawmakers eventually shifts from medical cannabis to legalization. I'm hearing the Walsh Bills don't have the votes to pass gas, and with the votes in CO and WA and across this state, these guys will realize pretty soon they need to prepare for a future with legal cannabis. MINORML is urging legislators to look to that future and begin work now on a framework to tax and regulate cannabis like alcohol. We will insist that a provision be included to accommodate all the provisions of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act including the right of patients and caregivers to cultivate medical cannabis in accordance with the MMMAct.

I agree with Brad other than the line about the Senate not having the votes, that is wrong. They do have the votes but for some reason they have not done it yet, Jones is the trigger man. What he has up his sleeve I know not.

But anyway, PB, THERE IS NO KNOWN LEGALIZATION BILL IN THE HOUSE OR BEING CURRENTLY WORKED ON IN THE HOUSE! I just checked on it to be certain.

...and a very Republican Senate, may I add. Jeff Irwin would likely be one of the only votes and hence sponsors. And he has said to me directly he cannot get a bill discussed in the House Judiciary or get a floor debate. How would you imagine legalization is on the radar? Give me facts, not rumor and innuendo.

Where these rumors come from is mysterious. I can tell you from my personal conversations with Reps and Sens in recent days, they are not talking. People who assume this means they have decided not to address the issue, have a different opinion than mine. I do not believe legalization is on the radar in the Michigan Legislature.

Drink some more kool aid and light a fatty and dream on....

I agree with Brad other than the line about the Senate not having the votes, that is wrong. They do have the votes but for some reason they have not done it yet, Jones is the trigger man. What he has up his sleeve I know not.

But anyway, PB, THERE IS NO KNOWN LEGALIZATION BILL IN THE HOUSE OR BEING CURRENTLY WORKED ON IN THE HOUSE! I just checked on it to be certain.

It is being formulated now.

Let's see how close to Brads statement we can get it.

...and a very Republican Senate, may I add. Jeff Irwin would likely be one of the only votes and hence sponsors. And he has said to me directly he cannot get a bill discussed in the House Judiciary or get a floor debate. How would you imagine legalization is on the radar? Give me facts, not rumor and innuendo.

Where these rumors come from is mysterious. I can tell you from my personal conversations with Reps and Sens in recent days, they are not talking. People who assume this means they have decided not to address the issue, have a different opinion than mine. I do not believe legalization is on the radar in the Michigan Legislature.

Drink some more kool aid and light a fatty and dream on....

What would you like to see as the form of legalization here?

What would you like to see as the form of legalization here?

I personally support legalization, yes. I do not accept or agree with dispensary proponents climbing on the backs of medical marijuana patients in order to gain their desired monopolies.

However that (legalization) is not what I work on today and virtually every day. My efforts go towards supporting patient and caregivers and the original MMMA. I lobby regularly in that arena. I have served on a couple task forces in the last two years, I have testified before the House and Senate, and I am going to be serving on the new conditions panel as well, beginning in December. I am researching (with the help of my CPU colleagues) supporting info regarding PTSD and benefits from medical marijuana.

Until many dispensary proponents (like the Ann Arbor Guild vis a vis their McQueen Amicus) began bashing home based caregivers, and made it clear they would give that aspect of growing medical marijuana up on behalf of patients and caregivers.... without any input from patients and caregivers, I was neutral and even positive towards dispensaries. Now that is not the case. But realize those folks struck the first blows. They will not go unanswered. They have plenty of achilles heels. And PB, just for your edification, let me say I do not wish anyone, ever, to go to jail or be prosecuted for mj or mmj. You have stated that we wanted people to go to jail because we oppose dispensaries? That is untrue. You really should recant that lie.

When I realized it was a them or us situation, and those weasels would not hesitate, for the most part, to sell out a patients rights and a caregivers rights to grow, with cheap lies and propaganda, well it became easy to cut into their line of criticism. Ya know the bs they sling: Fire hazards in homes. We (dispensaries) do testing. We (dispensaries) want to be taxed. We (dispensaries) will accept more regulation... blah blah blah...

I wonder if they want to talk about where their product comes from? I wonder if they wish to talk about pricing structures and percentages of markups? I wonder what they test for besides THC? There are a whole host of question that one could propose to ask.

Personally I think the A2 Guild full of themselves and think they should be ashamed at the division that they have caused.

Let me say also that I am using the word dispensary, but you can substitute numerous other models titles for that word, and it would all still remain pretty true.

You have stated that we wanted people to go to jail because we oppose dispensaries? That is untrue. You really should recant that lie.

First, thanks for what you have done as far as protecting the MMMA.

I'll rephrase if it'll make you happy.

CPU has declared war on the dispensaries. CPU wishes them clearly recognized as illegal and works toward achieving that goal.

CPU could care less what happens as a result if they were to succeed.

Is that better?

Still got it wrong.

I can help you get it right.

CPU is neutral on dispensaries. Period. We do not wish them declared illegal. Go back to my earlier comment where I specifically said we do not wish anyone be put in jail for mj or mmj. As For dispensaries, we do not need to comment at this time, as they are illegal Federally and no bills are even in committee as yet in the Michigan legislature. We respect the right of people to run dispensaries regardless of the local, state or federal laws, we don't endorse them or criticize them unless they attack our dreams and goals. I guess you do not get my criticism of the A2 Guild. It is not because they run a dispensary. Rather it is because they mess with home based patients and caregivers, and are more than willing to compromise our rights, in order to get legitimization for their business interest.

However, in light of the horrid things the A2 Guild is publishing about home base growers, and the lies they are spreading, many at CPU will want to make sure legislators recognize there is not a lockstep strategy on medical marijuana within the community. CPU will remain neutral, yes for sure, but if the slanderous lies against caregivers and patients who grow their own meds continues who knows what the outcome will be.

CPU is awaiting the Supreme Ct decision on McQueen. There is no comment on dispensaries until that decision.

Is it possible that some are promulgating the idea of legalization legislation in Michigan in order to sway public opinion? In other words, they are setting the public up to accept legalization so that when the question does come down the line the public won't be so freaked out about it. I believe that this is an old political gimmick.

Still got it wrong.

I can help you get it right.

CPU is neutral on dispensaries. Period. We do not wish them declared illegal. Go back to my earlier comment where I specifically said we do not wish anyone be put in jail for mj or mmj. As For dispensaries, we do not need to comment at this time, as they are illegal Federally and no bills are even in committee as yet in the Michigan legislature. We respect the right of people to run dispensaries regardless of the local, state or federal laws, we don't endorse them or criticize them unless they attack our dreams and goals. I guess you do not get my criticism of the A2 Guild. It is not because they run a dispensary. Rather it is because they mess with home based patients and caregivers, and are more than willing to compromise our rights, in order to get legitimization for their business interest.

However, in light of the horrid things the A2 Guild is publishing about home base growers, and the lies they are spreading, many at CPU will want to make sure legislators recognize there is not a lockstep strategy on medical marijuana within the community. CPU will remain neutral, yes for sure, but if the slanderous lies against caregivers and patients who grow their own meds continues who knows what the outcome will be.

CPU is awaiting the Supreme Ct decision on McQueen. There is no comment on dispensaries until that decision.

Then the others that have stated that dispensaries are their enemy and they will work to shut them down are not representing CPU?

Individual members do not speak for CPU unless they are specifically saying so and then they are usual pretty straightforward. On a personal level I have called them the enemy several times, they have proven that to be the case. I have never said I am working to shut them down. That is ridiculous.

Individual members do not speak for CPU unless they are specifically saying so and then they are usual pretty straightforward. On a personal level I have called them the enemy several times, they have proven that to be the case. I have never said I am working to shut them down. That is ridiculous.

Peanut knows that already. That has been said umpteen times and made crystal clear. He likes to play dumb because then he can constantly lay accusations and perpetuate the insidious lies.