Jump to content
Hydraulic Jack

Do Spider Mites Need Plant Mater To Live?

Recommended Posts

Why latex kilz? how come you dont use the original oil based kilz, Im gonna paint my block walls and cemento floor with a 2 part opoxy, after I bleach the hell out of every thing, than im gonna kilz it, than im gonna epoxy the floor, put up the shiny walls, ceiling, tape all seems with the shiny heater duct tape, and hope its gone, My c.g uses something you cant spray directly on the plant, but you put it all over the floors and walls, he says to put it in the door ways on the floor and when you walk thru the door your bringing the mite killer in with ya! he has no mites at this time, he says every one gets em here and there, you have to take pre action to make sure you dont get them,

 

Hey christy how the hell do you find them all over, man I have a hard enough time finding them with my magnifyers, bunny muffin I need xannys to keep from shaking to look thru that lil maginfyer lol!

 

Im interested in knowing why latex killz though, I was a painter most of my adult life, I like the water based killz for painting but not for mold or anything like that, and most def you have to put bleach on first to kill everything, than use the best to cover it up and make it easily cleanable!

 

Peace

Jim

 

If its the smell get a resperator and do it and get out, let it air out and its all good!

I use water based for easy clean up. Sometimes I even just wrap the brush and roller in plastic to reuse at a later date. In a cool environment they are good for a few months if wrapped well.

It is almost pure white and inhibits mold growth because of an added fungicide.

I am not covering up mold, never had any issues with mold of any kind, so I keep doing things the same way.

When I build I drywall to the floor caulk with polyurethane to the ground, then trim with 4" plywood base and caulk again with more poly. The exterior is caulked to the ground then trimmed so it looks normal but is water proof.

Garden or exterior shop space has to flood over 4" before the other is affected. I did it this way in case i flooded my garden ( did hydroponics up until about the turn of the century then switched to dirt).

It all became worth it when my building had a fire on another level. I am in a basement space with floor drain. With several inches of water in most of my space, garden was dry.

Edited by I wood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use water based for easy clean up. Sometimes I even just wrap the brush and roller in plastic to reuse at a later date.

It is almost pure white and inhibits mold growth because of an added fungicide.

After you wrap them throw them in the freezer for saving them even longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two part epoxy paint provides a seal. No use for Kilz after that. Kilz is for bleed through. Like if you have a yellowed spot on a ceiling from and old leak. It stops it from bleeding through your new whilte ceiling paint.

If that is how you feel, then you should surley not use kilz.

I'm not saying kilz is best or even needed. Two part epoxy is more costly and after the first coat on concrete (used it once when I moved in) unnecessary.

Flat, white, and mold doesn't like grow on it. I have it around for other projects and it works for me.

Edited by I wood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After you wrap them throw them in the freezer for saving them even longer.

Yes, did that until I got married.

Small shop fridge is usually full of medibles and mason jars of seeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, did that until I got married.

Small shop fridge is usually full of medibles and mason jars of seeds.

Yeah, and I had to quit washing car parts in the dishwasher.

If that is how you feel, then you should surley not use kilz.

I'm not saying kilz is best or even needed. Two part epoxy is more costly and after the first coat on concrete (used it once when I moved in) unnecessary.

Flat, white, and mold doesn't like grow on it. I have it around for other projects and it works for me.

My comment was to Jim about using KilZ after going to the trouble of using the awesomeness of a two part epoxy on your basement walls. No use in that. It would just stink the place up for no reason. Epoxy would seal it up good all on it's own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, and I had to quit washing car parts in the dishwasher.

 

My comment was to Jim about using KilZ after going to the trouble of using the awesomeness of a two part epoxy on your basement walls. No use in that. It would just stink the place up for no reason. Epoxy would seal it up good all on it's own.

That make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2012 at 1:50 PM, Kingdiamond said:

 

Wish i had eyes like that lol!

Like one of the previous posters, I to thought I was doing something with nutes or watering, I looked at the leaves over and over, and did not see a thing (UNTIL) I checked it with a 120X scope,, Oh Hell!!!!! They were every where. SO,,,,,,,,, Like You,,,,,,,,I wish my eyes were that good to. Take Down seemed to work the best for me which is mainly canola oil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that has worked for me in getting rid of mites is simply rinsing them off with cold water. If the plant is small enough submerse it entirely in cold water for a few seconds. The water won't hurt the plants at all and the mites will float right off.

Larger plants can be put in the shower and rinsed with a hand held shower head. Rinse them off with a spray of cold water paying particular attention to the undersides of the leaves.

Do this every two days until the mites are gone.

They may not all rinse off right away but even if a few manage to stick their reproductive cycles are disrupted. By doing it every two days you ensure that any eggs that may have hatched since the last rinse will not have time to grow.

Easy, cheap and best if all no harmful chemicals.

Edited by Wild Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used ice cold water in a spray bottle during flowering to get rid of spider mites.

Luckily, been a couple years since had the spider mites in grow.

Quarantine all new plants for two weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...