What Was The Most Significant Cannabis Related Event In Michigan In 2012?

jamieuke

The latest Lowell's Poll question is out and can be answered here-

http://www.thecompassionchronicles.com/

2012 stands out as a banner year for cannabis law reform.Washington and Colorado passed ballot initiatives making cannabis legal for adults.Which event or achievement stands out as having the most significance for cannabis reform in Michigan during 2012?

Also, see the "Just In" results blog for last week's poll question on HB 4856 and a guest blog on the same subject by attorney Michael Komorn-

Edited by jamieuke

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were so many events in 2012 which effects the residents of Michigan both negatively and positively. The one that reflects the most positive change to me would be the five city ballot initiatives which occured on November 6, 2012. The residents of cities in Detroit, Flint, Ypsilanti,Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo spoke overwhelmingly that changes need to occur. My hats go out to all of those involved with the sincerest appreciation for what you have accomplished.

2013 will be a year of continued change and all of us need to concentrate on helping other city residents understand that they can have an influence on policy changes regarding cannabis reform. Please get involved with groups to bring further change to cities like: Highland Park, Hamtramck, Ferndale, Mount Clemens, Marquette, Jackson, Benton Harbor and others. PLEASE get involved!!

The five local victories in Michigan, the Supreme Court rulings in King and Kolanek and the last minute, middle of the night passing of the Walsh Bills in lame duck, are the main events addressed in the poll.

The "Other" may include the Coury of Appeals decisions in Koon, and in the City of Wyoming cases, the over 10,000 lbs of food donated by Kevin Spitler and the MedJoint, Brad Forrester's Bridge Walk, patient friendly legislation introduced by Rep. Callton, and more including the Michigan Testing Authority and Dr. William Courtney popularizing and promoting raw cannabis juice.

What was it for you?

When I clicked that link I saw lots of ads for dispensaries. Actually it seems that site is really nothing but an advertisement for dispensaries. MMMA(this site)repeatedly states that these operations are all illegal.

Will be interesting to see if this thread is allowed to stay.

Edit. Although to be fair, at least it has to do with MMJ and not gun control.

Edited by shishka

Cards not taking 5 months to be issued. :-)

The Court hearing for McQueen is huge. Maybe not applicable since decision not released yet. But it will be a HUGE decision.

The 5 ballots are mostly just feel good stuff with no real bite. AWESOME they are passed and great to possibly start a statewide change.

King is a big decision for Sec 8.

Kolanek not so much a big deal "really".

The walsh bills is a big deal for what was NOT passed int he bills and bills not passed that were int he package.

Edited by Malamute

Four.

Ooops, had to edit here to be clear..

Four bills from the original "Walsh Package" did not pass, Four of them did.

Of the other 25ish bills introduced, only one passed. The insurance for workers comp is not mandatory for cannabis. Still optional.

There were a couple other bills or langauge that most didnt see that was killed as well that would have effected large chunks of the cannabis patients in the state. Food stamp issues, veterans and some other somewhats.

I would say fending off the onslaught against the medical marihuana program and preserving the core of it from these overzealous legislators is the biggest deal of 2012 i guess. Cards almost on time is a big deal too.

The program still works and can be practiced on a pt/cg level everywhere in Michigan. We fought back local control, inspections, saved a modicum of privacy and generally survived what i see as the worst of the storm; hopefully.

We will see how things go this year, but we should know by March how serious they are about going after us again. Let us hope people arent pushing legislators to pass more medical marijuana legislation this session.

Edited by Malamute

Although, the significance of McQueen will be a 2013 event, it will have huge implications. It has been given considerably more weight by those in opposition to the Act, than it was actually concerned with and ruled on, and has been artificially framed as "outlawing" dispensaries. It will depend on how much the Justices want to be activists if they decide to include more specific decisions on distribution or, somehow, arrive at a similar conclusion of the COA, but by different means. In the view of many, the COA's decision clearly lacked foundation, and can not be supported by law. The SC took the case to do something with it. Will they keep it very narrow or really address several related issues so they do not have to revisit them when they will inevitebly be argued in front them, at some point?

The Five local victories in Michigan, in practice, ae largely symbolic, but they are huge in demonstrating where Michigan voters are on these issues, further educating the public, and paving the way for more local victories, leading to state-wide decrim or legalization.

The Supreme Court ruling unanimously in King and Kolenek, reversing the trend of bad decisions in the COA and restoring the original intention of the voters, and allowing use of the affirmative defense. This helped to protect more people and gave some insight to the Justices thinking on these issues. Many believe that they are the judicial safety net that was hoped for. The hope continues for how they may rule on McQueen and other possible cases.

Malamute is right on about the Walsh Bills, and describes why their passage, in the state they were in, is extremely significant in light of what could have happened had CPU and others not worked to eliminate and change sections of the bills.

Many other significant happenings took place in Michigan in 2012, and the stage has been set for a very interesting, hopefully positive and productive 2013.

Not really limited to Michigan, but I think two states getting legalization, 1/3 the states having medical marijuana, and the schedule 1 status of marijuana in federal court are all HUGE steps in returning cannabis to the mainstream. 2012 is the year the tide changed for cannabis from a curiosity/experiment to becoming the new issue of the decade.

Dr. Bob

Not really limited to Michigan, but I think two states getting legalization, 1/3 the states having medical marijuana, and the schedule 1 status of marijuana in federal court are all HUGE steps in returning cannabis to the mainstream. 2012 is the year the tide changed for cannabis from a curiosity/experiment to becoming the new issue of the decade.

Dr. Bob

Stubborn stubborn system ..

Bob- I mention the states being legalized in the poll question, then ask for response to Michgan specific events. I would think that the full legalization in two states, would easily qualify as the most significant event for cannabis reform, well beyond in just the year 2012, so I wanted to focus on the extensive list of things that occurred in MI in the last year.

The most recent Planet Green Trees show focused on the year in review- definitely worth listening to.

The inability to cultivate in Washington negates the legalization effort. It amounted to nothing more than the "big businessing" of marijuana. To only allow dispensaries and monied interests to cultivate is utter hogwash.

Take out a poll on that topic, and don't nuance it, jamieuke.... just ask the question straight, lol, so to speak...

The inability to cultivate in Washington negates the legalization effort. It amounted to nothing more than the "big businessing" of marijuana. To only allow dispensaries and monied interests to cultivate is utter hogwash.

Take out a poll on that topic, and don't nuance it, jamieuke.... just ask the question straight, lol, so to speak...

As I stated in the question and in a response to Bob, the focus here is on Michigan.

However,I don't agree with your assessment on Washington, but it doesn't surprise me that you take such a view. I think it lacks recognition of its significance in the bigger reform picture, but I respect yours and others opinions on these issues, and hope that you keep expressing them as often as you feel is necessary.

I don't see the question that you would like asked in a future poll.

Washington's law contains a few things that are disturbing but it would be a huge mistake to claim any single flaw "negates the legalization effort". States are the crucibles of democracy, a famous quote, and it is to everyone's advantage for many different legalization models to operate in different states. I would not support Washington's nanogram driving limit, but Michigan's Zero Tolerance policy is worse.

I do not feel legalization is complete if citizens may not grow their medicine on their own.

How about you?

Is there something included in the language of 502 that prevents the citizens or the legislature from achieving more rights and protections when the support becomes great enough in whatever manner proves to be most viable?

Many efforts may not comport to one's ideal image of things, but when it is possible to create more rights, and recognition, and reduction or elimination of penalties for cannabis use, it is a move forward.

Moving forward, whether under the most ideal circumstances, or not, ought to be supported, in my opinion. Certainly, working against such efforts would be antithetical to those purporting to be on the side of cannabis law reform.