Half And Half Legal/decrim/medical Does Not Work.

i've been trying to form this theory for a while.

this thread is my review of the three types of marijuana laws currently in effect in the USA.

as long as marijuana is illegal, police, prosecutors, judges and juries will put people in jail for it.

decriminalization, legalization like amendment 64 and I-502, and medical marijuana laws do not work to protect people.

Decriminalization:

New York has had decriminalization of marijuana up to 25 grams.

but law enforcement has still arrested 50,000+ (usually minorities) per year due to loopholes in the law.

an unclear law will always have loopholes.

Legalization (the pseudo legalizaiton of i502 and amendment 64):

While this has already protected a few people on posession charges, many more are still up on manufacturing charges. Since amounts over an ounce are still illegal, it is my guess that the feds will be enforcing marijuana prohibition in these two states.

in i-502 its still a crime to distribute unless you are licensed. which means cops will STILL GO UNDERCOVER AND ACCEPT MARIJUANA FROM OTHER PEOPLE AND THEN JAIL THEM.

public use is illegal. do you think colorado or washington will try to do what new york does about 'public use' ? they will find the loopholes, and exploit them. if you dont pull your marijuana out of your pocket, then you get popped with "resisting arrest" or "obstructing a law enforcement official".

also calling it "regulate marijuana like alcohol" isnt accurate.

since there are no limits on alcohol posession among adults.

Medical Marijuana:

since marijuana is still illegal in most medical marijuana states, arrests, prosecutions and convictions will continue. prosecutors and judges will do everything they can to ignore the medical marijuana law.

one of the reasons the fed gives about why its prosecuting is that "its not a clear law" or "its not a clear message". the unclear part is that marijuana is still a schedule 1 substance in michigan, yet theres a medical marijuana law. its clear that federal law trumps state laws, so how can it be legal in the state yet illegal at the same time?

only removing marijuana from all federal laws, and truely regulating it like alcohol will work

no limits on posession for adults.

home brews/grows are allowed.

you can give other adults drinks/bud without having a license to serve alcohol/marijuana.

stores can sell it to adults.

you can put it in your car in an unopened container.

you can take it across state lines.

there is no felony laws for violating most of these rules.

etc

let me know if my theory has holes or can be improved or if i'm completely wrong! thanks for reading.

Edited by t-pain

i've been trying to form this theory for a while.

this thread is my review of the three types of marijuana laws currently in effect in the USA.

as long as marijuana is illegal, police, prosecutors, judges and juries will put people in jail for it. I disagree with this because only if jurors are not allowed to here the truth then OK it won't stop but we our going to change that soon

decriminalization, legalization like amendment 64 and I-502, and medical marijuana laws do not work to protect people.

Decriminalization:

New York has had decriminalization of marijuana up to 25 grams.

but law enforcement has still arrested 50,000+ (usually minorities) per year due to loopholes in the law.i Agree

an unclear law will always have loopholes. Their is no loopholes in our Law

12 plants 2.5oz locked up with your Rec. 21 days You can't be arrested

Legalization (the pseudo legalizaiton of i502 and amendment 64):

While this has already protected a few people on posession charges, many more are still up on manufacturing charges. Since amounts over an ounce are still illegal, it is my guess that the feds will be enforcing marijuana prohibition in these two states.this is on a Waite and see maybe if you got a wear-house full

in i-502 its still a crime to distribute unless you are licensed. which means cops will STILL GO UNDERCOVER AND ACCEPT MARIJUANA FROM OTHER PEOPLE AND THEN JAIL THEM. Make sure you know that person and that won't happen

public use is illegal. do you think colorado or washington will try to do what new york does about 'public use' ? they will find the loopholes, and exploit them. if you dont pull your marijuana out of your pocket, then you get popped with "resisting arrest" or "obstructing a law enforcement official".i here that this is going to stop and has been talked about their

also calling it "regulate marijuana like alcohol" isnt accurate.

since there are no limits on alcohol posession among adults.

Medical Marijuana:

since marijuana is still illegal in most medical marijuana states, arrests, prosecutions and convictions will continue. prosecutors and judges will do everything they can to ignore the medical marijuana law.i agree but they also must follow the Law and that's is why we our still in court I have always felt we will win if we stand up not just for us but for every sick person here in Mich.its the right thing to do and it's not the eases thing to do but our county was founded on just that some have forgotten it The pursuit of happiness

one of the reasons the fed gives about why its prosecuting is that "its not a clear law" or "its not a clear message". the unclear part is that marijuana is still a schedule 1 substance in michigan, yet theres a medical marijuana law. its clear that federal law trumps state laws, so how can it be legal in the state yet illegal at the same time?

only removing marijuana from all federal laws, and truely regulating it like alcohol will work

you can give other adults drinks/bud without having a license to serve alcohol/marijuana.

etc

let me know if my theory has holes or can be improved or if i'm completely wrong! thanks for reading.

IMHO, this is the only idea that will leave the decision about cannabis up to the 'states' to decide how they want to deal with the issue. I believe that if the MJ laws were changed at the federal level, we'd see almost EVERY state coming up with laws to deal with cannabis as a taxable commodity just like alcohol.

I also believe that changes at the federal level are going to be forced upon the federal government as more and more states like Washington and Colorado step forward on the issue and make 'it' legal.

And things won't CHANGE for the better, until there IS change at the FEDERAL level.

Know your 'politicians', and let them KNOW what you THINK!!!

When the pressure for legalization becomes great enough to make the politicians cave, the best thing the government could do is to throw in the towel and say "If you can get it, you can use it". Trying to regulate cannabis is going to cause its own set of problems. Why can't they just let people grow as much of it as they want? If people want to grow it commercially, make them get licensed and jump through hoops, but for anyone who wants to grow their own and share with friends just let them go for it. We don't need limits. I would expect that people would soon be using marijuana as fodder for their compost pile if the weed was truly freed. There would be so much of it around that people would soon lose interest in it.

Why can't lawmakers fathom this? They want to limit supply of cannabis and thereby drive up price. Why????

Remember that 37% of the state voted to keep cannabis totally illegal, even for those with severe and debilitating illnesses. To those people, a world awash in cannabis must seem like a nightmare.

Yes. I feel sorry for those people. They are living with a world view that is based on fabrications. Most, if not all, of these folks are probably also highly religious so it is not surprising that they are easily swayed by fear mongers. They are skeptical of science and have some pretty weird belief systems. These people will never understand cannabis and may never even be willing to talk about it.

Edited by Chauncy Gardner

that c-span panel spends more time talking about gay marriage and obamacare than marijuana.

the question and answer section (30 mins in) finally gets back to marijuana.

but then the panel ignores the brilliant question from the LEAP guy. so sad.

Edited by t-pain