How Do I Find Patients In The Up?

cannre

I am an experienced caregiver and am able to take on 2 additional patients. I am looking for advice from other caregivers- how did you find your patients? I am in the UP and know that we face special challenges because of the relatively scarce overall population but there must be a way to reach people in need. l have posted here and found 1 patient and have had a great experience with her. I attend our "local"compassion club and have gotten on their list of available caregivers.

As I have gained experience growing my yield has increased (plant count has remained constant), and my current patients needs have decreased (they are healthier!) almost to the point that I will have to reduce the number of plants I have in order to stay compliant- which is what I am planning on doing unless I find another patient or 2. I do ask for a donation for my meds - is that my problem with finding patients? I am generous with weights and am willing to help out in a pinch but want patients who recognize that growing (growing correctly anyway) is an investment (both financially, in time and risk tolerance) and that my service is of value to them. Is there really a lack of need up here or am I just not going about making connections in the tight way?

I have considered putting an add in local newspapers but have hesitated for obvious safety reasons. Has anyone done this?

I am in the Iron River area but drive almost an hour each way to meet with my current patients and am willing to help out someone new in the same fashion.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Welcome to the UP! Your plight isn't any different then anyone else I know. It's especially bad up here if you aren't from here originally. I've seen a lot of people move up here from Wisconsin thinking they were going to get rich, and it's very difficult to find good patients up here.

Ya might start by yellin' and screamin' along the Seney Stretch while you eat bugs in the summer months and play chicken with oncoming traffic at 95. Doesn't much matter whether you are east or westbound, it is a smoooth fast drive through the bogs. A perfect place to spark one anytime.

Edited by GregS

• 4 weeks later...

I seen a UP Pt seeking a CG on Facebook two days ago. there are ALLOT of people on FB seeking good and qualified CGs from all over the state. I know i have seen 5 different UP Pts seeking a CG since the beginning of the year.

You do realize it takes about 6 to 7 hours to drive from one end of the UP to the other right? There are 15 counties and over 16,000 square miles. I could say the same thing about any part of the state that was the same size. In our area we are doing pretty good.

I seen a UP Pt seeking a CG on Facebook two days ago. there are ALLOT of people on FB seeking good and qualified CGs from all over the state. I know i have seen 5 different UP Pts seeking a CG since the beginning of the year.

yep tims right...see em all the time. sadly no farmers markets, not likely any way for to meet people up there.

• 1 month later...

I am an experienced caregiver and am able to take on 2 additional patients. I am looking for advice from other caregivers- how did you find your patients? I am in the UP and know that we face special challenges because of the relatively scarce overall population but there must be a way to reach people in need. l have posted here and found 1 patient and have had a great experience with her. I attend our "local"compassion club and have gotten on their list of available caregivers.

As I have gained experience growing my yield has increased (plant count has remained constant), and my current patients needs have decreased (they are healthier!) almost to the point that I will have to reduce the number of plants I have in order to stay compliant- which is what I am planning on doing unless I find another patient or 2. I do ask for a donation for my meds - is that my problem with finding patients? I am generous with weights and am willing to help out in a pinch but want patients who recognize that growing (growing correctly anyway) is an investment (both financially, in time and risk tolerance) and that my service is of value to them. Is there really a lack of need up here or am I just not going about making connections in the tight way?

I have considered putting an add in local newspapers but have hesitated for obvious safety reasons. Has anyone done this?

I am in the Iron River area but drive almost an hour each way to meet with my current patients and am willing to help out someone new in the same fashion.

Thanks in advance for any input.

It is a tricky business, use word of mouth to your advantage.

I've been a CG from the beginning of the program and this is the first time I have had all 5 patient spots filled.  1 from meeting at local CC  2 friends  1 is the mother of a friend and 1 word of mouth.  let your patients know you have openings let friends you know to be mmj friendly know you have openings.  If the meds are good they will come