Home / Blog / Operating Under The Influence Of … Anti-Depressants? Neil Rockind Discusses The New Law

A social worker spells out reasonable and frightening concerns about Michigan’s newest addition to the intoxciated driving statutes: the law that prohibits operating under the influence of “any intoxicating substance.” The law reads:

(25) As used in this section:

(a) “Intoxicating substance” means any substance, preparation, or a combination of substances and preparations other than alcohol or a controlled substance, that is either of the following:

(i) Recognized as a drug in any of the following publications or their supplements:

(A) The official United States pharmacopoeia.

(B) The official homeopathic pharmacopoeia of the United States.

© The official national formulary.

(ii) A substance, other than food, taken into a person’s body, including, but not limited to, vapors or fumes, that is used in a manner or for a purpose for which it was not intended, and that may result in a condition of intoxication.

The article, written by a social worker, someone experienced with dealing with people who are taking medications to maintain and for a sense of normalcy, raises valid points about how people will be prosecuted for opeating under the influence of anti-depressants. Please take a moment and read his commentary. It can be found here:

http://nasw-michiganblog.weebly.com/1/post/2013/01/felony-for-driving-while-taking-antidepressants.html

Its a rough one out there... loose your job cause you don't wanna go or take pills to go and possibley go to jail on the ride to and from.

Some of them pills do effect the minority in a different way though.

Take me for instance... If I smoke pot for 2 weeks strait, things are fine. If I were and "have" took certain pills for 2 weeks strait at recommended dose heck even a lower dose things would not be fine.

There is no answer to this social workers concern. He waste time and is undesireable as well he alone makes this whole NASW organization look dumb to me.

does he want the state to pay the fare for all the taxis too...?If not more will be depressed and round and round we go till the bridge falls down.

I wish we could all not drive for a day or 2 every week, I mean empty roads and gas stations, we all go gas up on one day of the week and we dont drive for 2 days a week, make it look like a ghost usa lol!

If every one could get to work and back on one tank of gas a week, it would realy screw up the government, do you know how much they would lose from the gas tax the other 6 days of the week. I know its hard to use 1 tank of gas a week, only time i could do that is when I had a real job with a time clock lol most of my adult life I was self employed, an worked every where, ive worked in many states, could prob still be at least supervising, but it gets old workng all over the east coast!

when I first got my licsens we had a gas shortage, and they had odd even days for when you could get gas, also, every ones liscense plate expired at the same time, not on your birthday, long lines for that, and long unemployment lines, I collected unenjoyment for about 10 wks in late 70's always had work after that, I worked for my self after that!

Peace

Jim

I wish we could all not drive for a day or 2 every week, I mean empty roads and gas stations, we all go gas up on one day of the week and we dont drive for 2 days a week, make it look like a ghost usa lol!

If every one could get to work and back on one tank of gas a week, it would realy screw up the government, do you know how much they would lose from the gas tax the other 6 days of the week. I know its hard to use 1 tank of gas a week, only time i could do that is when I had a real job with a time clock lol most of my adult life I was self employed, an worked every where, ive worked in many states, could prob still be at least supervising, but it gets old workng all over the east coast!

when I first got my licsens we had a gas shortage, and they had odd even days for when you could get gas, also, every ones liscense plate expired at the same time, not on your birthday, long lines for that, and long unemployment lines, I collected unenjoyment for about 10 wks in late 70's always had work after that, I worked for my self after that!

Peace

Jim

I'm with you on this. There are some other factors that additionally come into play. The govornment is printing so much money. It has been doing this through the Bush years and it has continued at a breakneck speed under the current administration. The problem here is that oil is priced on the world market. As we print more dollars this is inflationary (just wait until those chickens come home to roost!) .Oil is traded in dollars. Our dollars lessening value caused by adding a ton of money to the system makes people outside of the US to not want to be holding dollars as much especially if their currency is doing better than hours. So dollars are a depreciating asset. As we throw more and more money in the system it will cause the price of oil to rise. There will be fluctuations but who can deny that the trend for oil is up.

Well diesel small engined car are coming. Not to mention any advances in the hybrid area. There is a Ford Fiesta cargo vehicle with no windows in the back that comes with a very tricked out diesel engine. The car gets 84 mph.Sure diesel costs more at this time but it still works out well.When the Fiesta came out i called Ford and asked if they were going to bring the diesel Fiesta which at the time got 64 mph. I was told that Ford didn't think there was a market for it.

Also due to Fracking there is a chance we could become an oil exporter again. If the oil companies were restricted from participating on the world stage and deal with supply and demand only in the USA the price of oil would likely plummet here.

Still I think we all have to remember that taxes are needed and you can be sure that if gasoline taxes go down they will find another way to separate us from our money. Drivers tax based on miles driven with an accommodation made for average commute times so the West and Midwest don't get screwed. Get rid of the gas tax just something that would be worked out in Washington. This power is scary and only voting keeps it in check. I certainly am no teabagger but I agree that solid work in the area of how the USA deals with debt and deficits needs to be done.

Whatever happened to a common sense basic sobriety test? You know, walk a straight line, stand on one foot, touch your fingers to your nose, etc.

When I am driving down the road, I don't care what substance another driver is using, only whether or not that substance has impaired their ability to drive safely.

Whatever happened to a common sense basic sobriety test? You know, walk a straight line, stand on one foot, touch your fingers to your nose, etc.

When I am driving down the road, I don't care what substance another driver is using, only whether or not that substance has impaired their ability to drive safely.

Eggs Ackley. I watched a mini debate on Fox News yesterday and even the conservatives think that a standard of impairment needs to be established for marijuana. They were discussing how legalization will affect the safety of motorists in Colorado. They are going to have to do some studies on that. A real area of concern for the conservatives (naturally) is "How will police be able to determine if someone is under the influence of marijuana?" Since there are no roadside tests available, everyone who is suspect would need to have a blood test and apparently it is a hassle to obtain one. I am really curious as to how this will all play out.