Auto Ins Doubled Over Night Thanks Obama

Anyone else feel this pain yet. Yesterday got a letter from nationwide my auto ins went up 40% no claims. Agent says i can think obama care for the increase, catstropic injury something to that effect. Not sure what I am going to do i no one thing i cant afford an increase like this was not in the budjet. Guess its back to roman noodles 3 times a day.

Shop around. If Obamacare were to affect auto insurance it would seem to me like it would reduce, not raise. PIP benefits and medical coverage under your auto insurance in Michigan generally are secondary coverage. Your primary medical coverage will pick up what it picks up and the auto grabs the rest. Seems to me that the only way Obamacare could raise your auto rates would be if Obamacare reduced coverage somehow. Obamacare now requires medical insurance to cover pre-existing conditions. I would guess that means more people would get medical coverage thus causing the actuaries to reduce auto coverage costs.

I'm no insurance expert so others should chime in here but I don't think Obamacare will affect auto. Especially an increase of 40%. Shop around.

Edited by CaveatLector

Your agent is a bumb for telling you this. Fire him for being ignorant. The cost of medical care for auto accident victims has risen 166 percent since 2002 and that's why the catistrophic claims amount is going up. You can thank Obama for working to lower medical care costs that might eventually lower this cost. I can't believe an agent would be so darn ignorant like that. He must not like Obama for personal reasons to say something so wrong.

I know by the time my wife pays auto insurance and other minor bills such as TV she is broke. Americans are working to go into debt anymore.

My wife works her donkey off for like 10 and hour. I get a check from the government to stay home. As far as I can see it is because of the government that I should just stay home. Those injections for the army boys made a lot of army boys sons head spin...that is the truth!

If I pay the bills with what we have...like most would be broke by Tuesday.

That is not freedom. Although I agree it is a choice I burn propane to keep warm sure, but it does get cold in winter in MI so I gotta pay. Like auto insurance never have even used the stuff? No Claims EVER

Mine went up substantially also hic, with Progressive. When I moved here they quoted me a price, I paid it, then they sent me at least 2 more bills within the 6 month period saying I owed them another $48 and then another $11 I think it was. I got on the phone and wasted more of my time and energy to ask them wtf they were doing. I used to live on one of the most dangerous roads (in the country) while in Fl, and actually got rear ended in Mar before moving here, and car insurance is STILL cheaper there than it is here. Apparently MI gets a HUGE chunk, but not sure what that is for or whether everone actually has to pay that or not, but that is what they told me. I think Mi's share was like $90 for the 6 month, 1 car, 1 driver policy with all of their discounts. I left a car in Fl, just because I can't afford to insure it here until I get some income.
Edited by shredder0911

The Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA), a private non-profit unincorporated association, was created by the state Legislature in 1978. Michigan's unique auto insurance no-fault law provides unlimited lifetime coverage for medical expenses which result from auto accidents. The MCCA reimburses auto no-fault insurance companies for each Personal Injury Protection (PIP) medical claim paid in excess of a set amount. Currently that amount is $500,000. That means that the insurance company pays the entire claim, but is reimbursed by the MCCA for medical costs over $500,000.

All auto insurance companies operating in Michigan are assessed to cover the catastrophic medical claims occurring in Michigan. Those assessments are generally passed on to auto insurance policyholders. The 2012-2013 assessment is $175.00 per vehicle.

Lets do the math I have drove for lets just say 15 years bought insurance.

lets say average 100 a month in 15 years.

18000 is what I have paid in and never used! in my world that is 3 good cars.

3 good cars have been stolen from me because of law.

Edited by hic

Lets do the math I have drove for lets just say 15 years bought insurance.

lets say average 100 a month in 15 years.

18000 is what I have paid in and never used! in my world that is 3 good cars.

3 good cars have been stolen from me because of law.

Stolen? Give me a break. You would be singing a different tune if you were injured in an accident. Between that and injury and cost of repairs I bet you would quickly eclipse that 18k figure.

Edited by CaveatLector

With the other responses. Also this might be a good time to shop around for a new policy. It might cause you to save $. I use Farmers who were a lot cheaper.

Yea farmers did us right when we had to shop around for new house ins, and naturaly, well maybe not, but we like to use the same ins on our home, car, travel trailer! and than we added a suburban onto it to pull the trailer and it only went up 20 bucks a month, I was realy surprised, with having 1 car on that ins it lowered that one that has full coverage and only cost 20 for pl, pd on the suburban, and my trailer is covered for 30k plus contents!

Peace

Jim

shop around!

The cost of medical care for auto accident victims has risen 166 percent since 2002 and that's why the catistrophic claims amount is going up.

A Consumer Rights group sued the auto companies 2010 to get their accounting records and was granted them by a judge last month. The group is protesting the autos saying they shud have to prove $175 per car is the neccessary cost to include to keep the cat claims unit from going BK. 25 % of Detroiters have no insurance, auto or medical.

Edited by pic book

Auto insurance companies raise your rates for no reason after a couple of years. An honest agent will tell you this. Customers get comfortable with their policy, and the insurer relies on the customer's complacency to squeeze some extra money out. Most agents will make up a stupid excuse when you ask why the rates went up.

It's the same philosophy behind store rebates and the "forever stamp." Humans are lazy, and they let a lot of money fall through the cracks.

Yup, because in Michigan you enjoy unlimited lifetime coverage for medical expenses which result from auto accidents.

yep I have unlimited lifetime coverage for all medical expenses related to my auto accident! at first they would try and quit paying me, but i always took em to court or abritation and won, and since being on ssdi they havent tried to quit me, but im sure one day I will be back in front of a judge or mediator to get them to pay what they owe me, such is life!

I remember something about michigan becoming a no fault state, been a long time so i dont recall what yr, I also remember in ohio you didnt have to have auto ins to drive on there roads, it wasnt a tickitable thing, i dont even know how the person getting hurt got help if neither had ins in ohio! but im pretty sure there are some states left that dont make you get auto ins! I guess them states are not no fault states.

Peace

Jim

Same thing for me about a month ago I was stopped at a light in the Miata. An 18 year old buffoon who actually said "I wasn't paying attention rear ended me at approx 40mph.I am siting here with heating pads on neck and back ernt to get mris yesterday. The car got repaired.

I once over heard a couple talking to someone and they were telling him that they had not gotten house insurance to save money probably thinking they wee immune or something . Well they lost their house to a fire. Insurance was invented in Europe in the 14th century. People of a town created it because of what it meant to loose your home. Of course fires happened more often then.

Anyway you should be real glad if you have had the good luck of not being hurt in an accident.

I have been wth nationwide for over 15 years, home, auto 3 of them, boat, car hauler/trailer, Only claim f 350 stolen out of drive way in 2010. They must be getting me back for that is only thing i can think of but 40% increase from one policy to the next is just crazy should be against the law highway robbery. I will switch companies regardless nationwide is not on your side and they wont get my money anymore i dont care if i pay more somewhere else.

anyone have a state farm agent in western wayned county they can recomend.

It is real important that you MAXIMIZE the uninsured/underinsured driver insurance on your policy. It is cheap and if you are ever hit by somone and if you have a lawsuit you will be able to sue up to what ever the maximum of your policy is. Just do it. I was talking to an attorney who without knowing the other persons coverage was happy that i had enough coverage that he knew he could make $. After all to them that is a large part of their initial concern.

Auto insurance companies raise your rates for no reason after a couple of years. An honest agent will tell you this. Customers get comfortable with their policy, and the insurer relies on the customer's complacency to squeeze some extra money out. Most agents will make up a stupid excuse when you ask why the rates went up.

It's the same philosophy behind store rebates and the "forever stamp." Humans are lazy, and they let a lot of money fall through the cracks.

The last time I purchased a new vehicle, I got my ins qoute like most do, (i hope) and I liked it, so I go to the ins company, it was on the way to the car dealer, i get in the agents office and he tells me his qoute was off, he quoted me something like 1500 a month when I got there he said it would be 3200 a month (i had not so good of a driving record) I stood up put my coat and and said thanks but no thanks, before i could get out of his door, he wound up getting me back the original quote, now who was going to make that extra money every month? yea the sneaky arse ins salesman!

Peace

Jim

I have been wth nationwide for over 15 years, home, auto 3 of them, boat, car hauler/trailer, Only claim f 350 stolen out of drive way in 2010. They must be getting me back for that is only thing i can think of but 40% increase from one policy to the next is just crazy should be against the law highway robbery. I will switch companies regardless nationwide is not on your side and they wont get my money anymore i dont care if i pay more somewhere else.

anyone have a state farm agent in western wayned county they can recomend.

oh well thats the problem your in wayne county! lmao!

Peace

Jim

Try 21st century insurance. they are underwritten by Farmers but have up tp 20% cheaper rates. You can also get a discount on homeowners with Farmers if you carry 21st century car insurance. I am not an insurance salesman, however I did get a huge increase last term from ESurance. Did a lot of shopping and Farmers was by far the cheapest! You gotta shop around!

If you can get it, USAA is pretty reasonable.

As to Ohio you definitely have to have insurance to drive on a public road. I Sold a vehicle one time in OH and moved out of state to work. They sent a letter to my old address requesting a random proof of insurance check. I didn't even own a vehicle and ignored the letter. Six months latter I called the Ohio DMV and they had suspended my license for not providing proof of insurance. I had no idea! After I faxed them my sales receipt they reinstated it. Point is in Ohio you can't plate a vehicle or renew a registration without showing proof of insurance. MI does have a bizarre version of "No Fault" though.

I could see the ACA having an impact on auto rates. Maybe not minimum coverage so much, but having a lot of medical built into your auto plan could very well raise your rates. The cost of medical care is going up, the ACA doesn't prevent this, it is only an attempt to slow the rising costs. If your financing a vehicle last time I checked it was a requirement to carry "full coverage".