Auto Ins Doubled Over Night Thanks Obama

Luckily ours has stayed the same and it probably will for some time. I would shop around we use Meemic which is for educators but I am not sure others may be able to use them. Wife is a teacher and I am a custodian but like I said others may be able to use them they are cheap

I always suspected the custodian was the weed man !

It is real important that you MAXIMIZE the uninsured/underinsured driver insurance on your policy. It is cheap and if you are ever hit by somone and if you have a lawsuit you will be able to sue up to what ever the maximum of your policy is. Just do it. I was talking to an attorney who without knowing the other persons coverage was happy that i had enough coverage that he knew he could make $. After all to them that is a large part of their initial concern.

My attorney also recommended this (max uninsured coverage), but it seemed clear to me he didn't understand what it means to live under the financial constraints most of us have to deal with. What I learned from him is that he takes a minimum of 33% off the top, and that goes to 40% plus expenses if we go to court. No wonder he doesn't worry much about the costs of insurance. What I also learned (pay attention here) is that if you drop uninsured motorist coverage your insurer is required to gain and keep a copy of your signature confirming you are dropping. This, and the fact that my company failed to produce my signature, is how my attorney justified taking such a large portion of the settlement. So my insurer's poor record keeping cost them big, and got me more that I would have gotten on my own. However, it also seemed clear that my attorney was more friendly and acquainted with the settlement folks and adjusters than he was with me, and was working me possibly more than he was them. I could go on and on, but just wanted to make the point above, in case it helps anyone. I plan to switch from Progressive also, because they too have taken way more than I ever got, and now they keep increasing my coverage with no claims due to my driving.

From what I understand Michigan has the highest auto rates in the nation. This is partly due to the coverage required.

up until i just switched over to USAA late last fall.... i had state farm...

a few years ago in an attempt to lower my monthly cost my agent let me in on a little known fact.

i certified i would not drive my vehicle out of Michigan, and i was able to lower my coverage on pl-pd.

The surrounding states have significantly higher minimum amount coverage standards.

i saved about 10 bucks a month as a result...

i know that does not apply to how money is dispensed after an accident, and the resulting fees but our states requirement for minimum coverage is definitely lower.

We are a 20/40/10 state last I knew. That puts us in the lower-half of the states as far as required coverage. Probably the lower, lower-half. Those numbers have been the same for the past 20 years or so and maybe longer. It really is time they were raised as $20k bodily injury liability is quite low. If/when the numbers are increased you can expect even higher insurance rates.

Ohio has some of the lowest, if not the lowest, required coverages.

right...

http://www.michigan....0.html#coverage

What auto insurance coverage do I have to purchase?

There are three basic parts to a no-fault policy that must be purchased and carried on every vehicle. They are:

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) - Personal injury protection (PIP) pays all necessary medical costs if you are hurt in an auto accident.

Property Protection (PPI) - Property protection (PPI) pays up to $1 million for damage your car does in Michigan to other people's property, such as buildings and fences.

Residual Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Insurance (BI/PD) - Residual bodily injury and property damage liability (BI/PD) pays your defense costs and any damages you are found liable for as the result of an auto accident, up to the limits of the policy. The minimum limits of coverage that everyone must purchase are $20,000 for a person who is hurt or killed in an accident, $40,000 for each accident if several people are hurt or killed, and up to $10,000 for property damage in another state. These minimum limits are often referred to as 20/40/10. You can also purchase additional limits of BI/PD coverage, which will be explained in the next section.

my agent explained to me.. if you certify yourself to stay within Michigan you can sign a waiver and lower this coverage.. my proof of insurance card was a different color than any i had ever had.....blue i think.. and i could not leave Michigan, but i didn't take that old truck outta town, let alone outta state..

i just saw my old proof a couple days ago... if i can find it again... ill post the numbers they used.

Here's why the insurance company can give you a break if you only drive in Michigan, they get reimbursed for the major claims that happen here, and that's why your insurance just went up.

The Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA), a private non-profit unincorporated association, was created by the state Legislature in 1978. Michigan's unique auto insurance no-fault law provides unlimited lifetime coverage for medical expenses which result from auto accidents. The MCCA reimburses auto no-fault insurance companies for each Personal Injury Protection (PIP) medical claim paid in excess of a set amount. Currently that amount is $500,000. That means that the insurance company pays the entire claim, but is reimbursed by the MCCA for medical costs over $500,000.

Here's why the insurance company can give you a break if you only drive in Michigan, they get reimbursed for the major claims that happen here, and that's why your insurance just went up.

The Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA), a private non-profit unincorporated association, was created by the state Legislature in 1978. Michigan's unique auto insurance no-fault law provides unlimited lifetime coverage for medical expenses which result from auto accidents. The MCCA reimburses auto no-fault insurance companies for each Personal Injury Protection (PIP) medical claim paid in excess of a set amount. Currently that amount is $500,000. That means that the insurance company pays the entire claim, but is reimbursed by the MCCA for medical costs over $500,000.

There is a per car MCCA assessment that I think is about $175/year. That means $175 of your insurance cost is going directly to the MCCA.

My attorney also recommended this (max uninsured coverage), but it seemed clear to me he didn't understand what it means to live under the financial constraints most of us have to deal with. What I learned from him is that he takes a minimum of 33% off the top, and that goes to 40% plus expenses if we go to court. No wonder he doesn't worry much about the costs of insurance. What I also learned (pay attention here) is that if you drop uninsured motorist coverage your insurer is required to gain and keep a copy of your signature confirming you are dropping. This, and the fact that my company failed to produce my signature, is how my attorney justified taking such a large portion of the settlement. So my insurer's poor record keeping cost them big, and got me more that I would have gotten on my own. However, it also seemed clear that my attorney was more friendly and acquainted with the settlement folks and adjusters than he was with me, and was working me possibly more than he was them. I could go on and on, but just wanted to make the point above, in case it helps anyone. I plan to switch from Progressive also, because they too have taken way more than I ever got, and now they keep increasing my coverage with no claims due to my driving.

Good post but I would like to add something to it. Once upon a time in a land far away a real donkey rammed me and put a hole in the drivers side of my car. Now the driver of that vehicle was by law 100% in the wrong. I made the mistake of giving the case to a law firm that was handling a prolonged estate situation that I had to deal with. They were getting itchy for money. To shut them up I offered them the case. Their attitude really changed. Once again they were happy to see me. I got screwed in the settlement because in my opinion. They settled for far less than they might have gotten They got their money but many years later I still had to deal with the pain and difficulties that the injury gave to me.

So this is a public service announcement. I was smashed by an idiot 18 year old while I was properly stopped at a light. I was driving a tiny sports car a Mazda Miata. He smashed into the back at probably about 40 mph 9 Grand River Brighton speed limit is 35 which at least in my observation is rarely observed except for little old ladies driving old Crown Vics) this guy is not an donkey rectum because he did say "I'm, sorry I wasn't paying attention." The other guy didn't ask me if i was alright or say bunny muffin. He gets to be the a hole the other guy might have been texting on the phone or jerking off for all I know. So he's an idiot but at least he did somewhat

apologize.

So here I am going through tests and and tests and the last I heard I could talk to a neuro surgeon which scares me since this is my neck and the last time I spoke to one I was told the surgery did not always work, had some bad risks and would have to be repeated in 10 years. My back hurts. Since my seat was slammed into me at about 40mph with the force of a Chrysler Concorde which weighs about one and three quarters tons. About 50% heavier than my car. Miatas are fairly rigid cars. So the forces went through me. Gotta telly you we were not made to comfortably go through that. Also for all you anti regulation folks out there. I friggin bless the person who pushed to have headrests in cars. In the last accident I probably would have broken my neck and or died without one. Some regulations enforced outside of the so called market are important. Ahh I feel better thanks.

Any way IF YOU ARE EVER INVOLVED WITH A LAWSUIT read "The Lawsuit Survival Guide" It is printed by Nolo Press which has many usefull books for non lawyers on legal subjects. They are much much cheaper than paying to ask questions to an attorney. Makes you better prepared to deal with the legal system and or a lawyer if you decide to obtain representation.

Well in that book I read about that although the 33% is commonly asked for it is negotiable for instance since in my accident the other person is 100 percent at fault under law, there is no question that the defense will not prevail. The real question is how much? Since it is a known win why should I pay 33% for a known result. So it might go you get 25% unless we decide to go to court. Once the attorneys have to start court proceedings that takes a lot more work and thus they get compensated for that. There are a lot of variations. The book costs 18 bucks. I got mine from the library (zero bucks) had to get it from another library. Anyway if you gotta deal with lawyers and the system is is a start. It does not deal so much with criminal law which is a whole other bear trap.

i hope this helps someone.

Did you approve the settlement? Generally the client will have the final say on whether to go ahead on a settlement offer. Also, was the settlement for insurance limits? Many times it is impractical to go after someone for more than the insurance limits if they cannot afford to pay. You can sue that 18 year old for $5 million dollars and what is to stop him from going bankrupt the next day? Usually nothing. So you have to be realistic. You can go to trial and get a huge verdict but the verdict is only good if the defendant has money.

Edited by CaveatLector

I just got a letter from my auto insurance company yesterday. Here is an excerpt:

The State of Michigan requires drivers to carry PPI (Personal Protection Insurance) benefits as a mandatory part of automobile insurance. This coverage provides comprehensive medical benefits in case of an auto-related injury. Michigan is the only state in the U.S. that requires drivers to carry this unlimited medical benefit on their auto insurance policies.

As the cost of medical insurance continues to rise, so does the size of auto-related claims that are funded by auto insurance companies like Allstate. More employer provided health plans are excluding or limiting primary coverage for auto-related injuries, which also makes the situation more difficult. This change passes the high costs of these claims to auto insurance carriers.

Additionally, auto-related medical claims are not mitigated by the fee schedules used by government health programs and workers' compensation. This means that a comparable hospital visit will often cost much more when Allstate pays the bill, as opposed to Medicare, Medicaid, or workers' compensation paying for it.

in the shadow of these mounting costs several insurers have either pulled out of Michigan completely, eliminated their Michigan agencies, or have been forced to deal with deteriorating profitability and downgraded credit standings. As you can imagine, these pressures continue to impact rates across the state as a whole.

Pure Michigan!

Edited by Wild Bill

Did you approve the settlement? Generally the client will have the final say on whether to go ahead on a settlement offer. Also, was the settlement for insurance limits? Many times it is impractical to go after someone for more than the insurance limits if they cannot afford to pay. You can sue that 18 year old for $5 million dollars and what is to stop him from going bankrupt the next day? Usually nothing. So you have to be realistic. You can go to trial and get a huge verdict but the verdict is only good if the defendant has money.

Your questions are decades too late. That is why i was suggesting the book. Also that is excatly why you need as much uninsured or underinsured coverage as you can get.. Since the minimum coverage in mi is 20k that would be the limit if your policy did not utilize the rider.

I would like to thank Nation Wide (they r not on your side) for jacking my rates up 40%. Shopped around a bit and State Farm saved me 700 over 6 months from what i was paying not the increase. Greedy bas***** if they would of only hit me for say 10%, i never would of even shopped around.

i am glad that you found insurance that was a lot cheaper. Remember MAXIMIZE the not insured under insured other driver insurance! Go for 500k or even more . remember if some a-hole rams into you like me that might be real important to you. The insurance companies would love just love to get this out of the policies since it leaves them on the hook if someone has only 20k worth of coverage. You could be terribly hurt and get butkiss for terrible pain and suffering that could occour in your life. Doesn't mean you would get the 500k but it is a possibility.

Perhaps you should apologize for blaming our President for your car insurance going up. i am sure there has to be some other thing that he did or did not do , that you can complain about..:o) The guy who gave you that Obama answer just shows how low some of those who oppose him will go. They show you disrespect by the lie When the answer was that it wasn't Obama who was screwing you it was the company he worked for that made the decision He could have called the company and probably have gotten them to lower it. i once was in a situation where a young guy wanted to buy life insurance. The guy had a pacemaker. I had to find a company that would even talk about it then i had to speak to the underwriters about it. So the guy got really expensive insurance considering his age. The next year since he was already insured a company offered coverage for 1500 less. Once he was someone else's customer and had passed muster then they really want to teal the business. It was a funny situation. He was a graphic artist who was doing real estate. So when one of my clients was selling his house i got on the horn fast called the guy and told him to call the guy immediately the insurance he got sold was pricey but he ended up making two commissions cause he also sold him the guys new house. i went from zero to hero real fast. if our congress went back to that kind of approach and horsetrading like it used to be (God i am advocating smoke filled back rooms) rather than holding onto an immovable philosophies then work could get done. Best of luck to you.