mibrains

This is a simple place to begin..

thank you Mal..

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

Make this as easy on yourself as possible.

A simple overview of the basics you will need.

Basic recipe:

Full bale Promix(3.8 cuft compressed)(2.0 cuft sometimes or uncompressed adjust accordingly)

6 cups Bone Meal

4 cups Blood Meal

4 cups kelp meal

3 cups Dolomite Lime

1 1/2 cups Epsom salt

1 small bag Worm Castings

1 bag Perlite (optional)

6 tbsp. Plant Success Granular (optional)

3 tbsp Soluble Seaweed extract (optional)

3 tbsp Rare Earth (optional)

1 can of Guinness beer (drink or add to soil :) )

For simplicity mix a half bale at a time. Get the nice 50 gallon “contractor grade” black garbage bags. Add all ingredients into bag. Tie closed then roll and roll and roll and roll and roll and mix super well. Open bag. Wet down soil well. Mix occasionally (weekly) any left over soil.

All you have to do is water and all your work is done. You can PH your water to 7.0 neutral, but isn't a must.

Water. Watch them grow. Done.

Keep it Simple Stupid.

It is like cooking a 2 minute egg but you are cooking an 8 week flowering plant. This is my recipe on how to cook your 8 week flowering plant.

This is a basic mix. Some strains, because they are all different may need a little boost of a Nitrogen fertilizer (i recommend bat guano tea) once or twice during growth because they want it and maybe need a little Phosphorous boost (i recommend bat guano tea again) once or twice at the start of flowering. That’s it.

Also, If your growing the same strain, you can “tune” in the mix to that strain by maybe adding a little more/less of certain ingredients.

Like i said, this is a straight forward BASIC mix. There’s all sorts of little tweaks, alterations and adjustments that can be done. But i wholly recommend this method for beginners.

i just started using KISS as your kinda aware back in September....

i LOVE the way the plants are acting..

i could not find a thread in the soil section here so i figured if every one is trying to figure out a simple easy way..

here it is..

i clipped the instructional part about the lights when i saved it to reprint it on 1 page.

i will try to copy the original as it was written from somewhere and repost it.

i will pin it..

i could not find it in the soil section :)

have you ever tried crab meal? i read it helps to stop flying insects...

i have seen a few flying insects and i wanna head them off before spring time.. i was thinking green sand layer.. but i read on a organic site about crab meal how it works and i was interested...

Hmm, thanks.

I basicly tried to come up with a way to as simply as possible show a n00b how to grow. When i take out all the work of figuring anything out except how to water the plant, my job is easier. :-) I can show up at a novices house after he purchased his simple inexpensive light setup, give him a bale, some baggies filled with the nutrients they need to dump into the bale of promix, a few small and big pots, show them how a pot feels when it is fully watered and when it needs to be watered and tell them to just leave it the hell alone; i know they will be harvesting a pretty decent crop of some yummy organic medicine.

:-)

Then just teach em how to clone using beer cups and promix and ta'daa,... the major work is done.

i will pin it..

i could not find it in the soil section :)

have you ever tried crab meal? i read it helps to stop flying insects...

i have seen a few flying insects and i wanna head them off before spring time.. i was thinking green sand layer.. but i read on a organic site about crab meal how it works and i was interested...

I actually use crab meal always. Like i said, the "K.I.S.S." mix is super basic and straight forward. Once you understand how and why the KISS mix works, you can experiment with some minor alternatives with a plant or two and see how it works out. I know with a few adjustments, you can increase your crop using this type of mix. But for n00bies, it is just too dangerous to show them how to ride the outer reaches of organic nutrient assault on your plants without burning the chit out of them or something. :-) So KISS is just that. Simple and basic. And it works.

good deal thanks mal..

does it affect the nutrient profile a lot?

maybe it is a good time for me to start a personal journal again and document the changes and techniques..

i designed and refined a pretty cool plant stand so i can move the girls around with a lot less efforts.

a day in the life of miplants

I clone directly into beer cups, but yes. This basic recipe will get you through all stages of growth. I clone into plain promix with maybe a touch of worm casting mixed in or seaweed extract.

So, using a cloner, it is possible the clone may be a little sensitive at first(maybe alittle leaf curl) but should be fine. maybe adding a littl eplain promix to the hole with which you will put the clonein is good. Give a few day buffer zone before it hits the good stuff. :-)

Thanks for the recipe. I mentioned blood and bone meal used in organic growing to a vegan patient the other day.

He seemed kinda uncomfortable with it, so if any of you have a vegan/vegetarian patient, make sure you inform them if you're using blood and/or bone meal.

Absolutely Northern...

Here is alist of other organic fertilizers you can use instead of blood/bone.

http://michigancannabispatients.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11

Also, this category in general has some great topics on organic growing(non hydro generally)

http://michigancannabispatients.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=4

I have used most, but found the blood/bone the easiest and easiest to access for noobie growers. But stuff like fish bone meal, fish meal, feather meal, guanos, green sand, Alfalfa meal, soybean meal etc etc is peachy keen. I would just have to give them a different ratio of ingredients.

Malamute, on subject number three above, given the watering style you recommend, how close do you get the lights, and what kind of yield do you expect per watt of input? Obviously there can be a lot of variation in this, but what is the KISS way?

Also, what sort of prevention do you use for pests and disease? It seems that keeping things simple requires both a good environment and a preventative program.

These two things in particular can really slow people down and limit success, from what I have seen, and I have not reached the ability to give people a definitive statement on either of these things.

As far as how close to put alight i always do it this way... Put your arm underneath the light at plant level height. If it becomes very hot before 1 minute is over, the light is too lose to the plants. :-)

It varies by light power(400,600,1000) and whether you are using a sealed light with exhaust fan attached. But in general.... naw... i aint giving numbers. If it is too hot on your arm, it is too hot for your plants. :-)

Aww man,... the "see" just fried out on my keyboard. grumble.

Finish later.

(Mal tosses keyboard at wall)

I'd definitely call this strategy KISS. Thanks. I'll await any further detail after your keyboard repair/replacement. I am specifically wondering about yield under those conditions, and what people should expect per watt for an average strain. I have found not knowing what to expect is a key reason people do incorrect things, like feed their plants excessively, or with weird stuff like Gravity. That always seems to be the answer for more yield, for some reason, but it doesn't make much sense to me without increased CO2 concentrations, which are definitely not KISS.

I have it dialed in to get 2 to 2 1/2 ounces per plant. It's what I need to use so I don't grow anymore. I've seen others get as much as eight ounces off one plant from KISS.

i am getting close to 3 so far. per plant...

but this is a beginner soil recipe... designed and posted for people interested in "beginner organic soil" to do something totally simple.

it's about getting started and understanding organics.

i am already seeing the slight variations by the different strains..

most of my girls so far LOVE the simplicity of the organic soil. the yield is slightly less than i was seeing with GHflora series but the taste, smell and texture seem to be well worth the changes.

i think there is some topics on refining organics and advanced techniques for more experienced folks... if not i will start one and maybe tag it to here so as a person learns more they can find more advanced ideas....

i follow a couple threads on the subject across a few sites so i am not sure what is where.. :)

How big is the plant during flowering (sq. ft. of canopy), and under what kind of light?

In my experience with club members using it, this method will yield 2-2 1/2 oz per plant when there are no more than 9 plants (3 gal) under a 1000w HID, roughly using the temperature method of light positioning Malamute mentioned above.

How do these results stack up to your expected results as experienced user of this technique?

That's about right in 3 to4 gallon buckets. I have a friend that consistently gets 4 to 5 oz. from four plants under a 1000w hps in eight gallon buckets. They spread out about a yard or so on the sides.

Well, i can say in this circumstance, size matters. :-)

Bigger bucket, few extra days of veg time and you can double your yield.

In a 6 gallon bucket i see, generally, 3-6 oz.

Now if it is a patient, obviously you do not want to yield over 2.5 oz of dried material per plant.<nudge>

So, a 4ish gallon pot is good. Tune it in so you are harvesting your 2.5 oz. That can mean, smaller bucket, less veg time. More veg time or a few other factors that can weigh in on that.

And as mibrains stated,... this is a basic soil mix. There are many ways to go from here so to speak. I can literally walk into a patients home, help them figure out the best way and area to put their light(s) up, give them the KISS mix and the buckets and say.. "all you have to do is water".

Now realize, almost noone ever listens to me on that point. Everyone always wants to fiddle and faddle frick with stuff. Not needed. The only real other things to worry about are temperature, lights, water quality and not getting pests.

Water. Water can be a huge variable for people depending on where they live and their city/township/well water quality. In general, ya just need a little ph down, same stuff ya use for a fish tank, to balance your water at 7.0 neutral. If ya wanna be picky, yes you can use 6.8-7.2 with this fully successful no problems. I know people that have used 6.4 to 7.6 and have harvested no problem, but it did effect yield by about 25%.

I will continue later. Gotta get ready for the Compassion Club meeting tonight. :-)