mibrains

If you use the KISS method you don't have to make teas.  It just becomes one more step you can avoid.  All the nutes you need are already in the soil.

While it's true that you don't NEED to make teas, make no mistake about it, compost/vermicompost teas will improve your results.

Compost teas are not nutrient teas although they can be.

While it's true that you don't NEED to make teas, make no mistake about it, compost/vermicompost teas will improve your results.

Compost teas are not nutrient teas although they can be.

They won't make your plant do any better if your plant already has everything it needs.  If you're adding tea and it's helping your plants, then that means your soil is lacking something.  If you use the KISS formula, your soil won't be lacking anything.  Hence no need to use teas, as the teas aren't adding anything that the plant doesn't already have.  That's the whole idea behind KISS, to give the plant everything it needs to start with so you don't have to do any work, mental or physical, to keep your plants at peak performance.

Some strains will not do as well with the general KISS formula and you will have to tweak the ingredients some, but the basic idea is still the same, give the plant everything it needs up front to keep the work load to an absolute minimum.

If you are looking to add a full spectrum of micronutrients to your mix throw some Azomite in there. 

I even use a little in my aerated teas. 

Just a more direct response,... azomite is definitely great for micronutrients; I just resolve it differently in this KISS mix by using kelps and seaweeds myself. :-)  I mean, other ingredients resolve many micro issues,... but for bang for the buck with high availability tot he plant,... kelp and seaweed is pretty right the heck on. :-)   The biggest concern with using azomite,kelp and seaweeds is the overabundance of iron and manganese which causes cross issues with your phosphorous and such. (refer to "Mulder's)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a simple place to begin..

thank you Mal..

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

Make this as easy on yourself as possible.

A simple overview of the basics you will need.

Basic recipe:

Full bale Promix(3.8 cuft compressed)(2.0 cuft sometimes or uncompressed adjust accordingly)

6 cups Bone Meal

4 cups Blood Meal

4 cups kelp meal

3 cups Dolomite Lime

1 1/2 cups Epsom salt

1 small bag Worm Castings

1 bag Perlite (optional)

6 tbsp. Plant Success Granular (optional)

3 tbsp Soluble Seaweed extract (optional)

3 tbsp Rare Earth (optional)

1 can of Guinness beer (drink or add to soil :) )

For simplicity mix a half bale at a time. Get the nice 50 gallon “contractor grade” black garbage bags. Add all ingredients into bag. Tie closed then roll and roll and roll and roll and roll and mix super well. Open bag. Wet down soil well. Mix occasionally (weekly) any left over soil.

All you have to do is water and all your work is done. You can PH your water to 7.0 neutral, but isn't a must.

Water. Watch them grow. Done.

Keep it Simple Stupid.

It is like cooking a 2 minute egg but you are cooking an 8 week flowering plant. This is my recipe on how to cook your 8 week flowering plant.

This is a basic mix. Some strains, because they are all different may need a little boost of a Nitrogen fertilizer (i recommend bat guano tea) once or twice during growth because they want it and maybe need a little Phosphorous boost (i recommend bat guano tea again) once or twice at the start of flowering. That’s it.

Also, If your growing the same strain, you can “tune” in the mix to that strain by maybe adding a little more/less of certain ingredients.

Like i said, this is a straight forward BASIC mix. There’s all sorts of little tweaks, alterations and adjustments that can be done. But i wholly recommend this method for beginners.

Just curious about this soil method. Sounds pretty straight forward and I like the sounds of it but I am curious. With the ingredients listed, how many pots/containers would that fill and what would be the best container to use?

All your suggestions are all good but why not just use Roots LOrganics and Oregonism..with a good organic nute line..?  No need to get into mixing and what not...

I guess I just am lazy because whenit comes to mixing up soil it sucks to have to do it indoors already then to add in more mixing...uggh...I will pass on that.  lol.  I use 2 amendments already.  that is plenty for me.

All your suggestions are all good but why not just use Roots LOrganics and Oregonism..with a good organic nute line..?  No need to get into mixing and what not...

I guess I just am lazy because whenit comes to mixing up soil it sucks to have to do it indoors already then to add in more mixing...uggh...I will pass on that.  lol.  I use 2 amendments already.  that is plenty for me.

Because this system only costs about 1/3 of the money, and it's malleable to stubborn strains.

Just curious about this soil method. Sounds pretty straight forward and I like the sounds of it but I am curious. With the ingredients listed, how many pots/containers would that fill and what would be the best container to use?

It depends on the size pot you use.  The bale expands a little as it's very compressed.  Most people like to use a %gallon pot at least.

Because this system only costs about 1/3 of the money, and it's malleable to stubborn strains.

I get roots Organics for 11.99 at 2 dro stores in Metro Detroit.  I consistently get all my grow stuff for about 10% over Retail's price from their distributors.  I buy in bulk and sit on stuff for a few months.  it is the only way to buy.   Fux buying or paying retail prices.

I don't know how much product you get for that amount of money, but I can buy 50 lbs of bone meal for about $25.  All the other additives are about the same price.  That 50 lbs will last me about five years.  I know all about buying in bulk.

No Desire to spend all my little free time to mixing stuff together.  i already mix in 2 types of soils, and 2 Amendments.  beyond that it is not worth the hassle.  11.99 buys 1.5 Cubic feet of Roots Organics soils.   And I run some serious exotics never had any issues with any strains adjusting and showing strong Life Force using Roots Organics Original soil.

Some people do not like bottled salt fertilizers.

Anyhow,.. this method is not only simple, but it is a teaching method to get people to understand what is actually going on when you grow. Understanding Essential nutrients, fungi, living root zone microbes, chelation and all the other things that go into how to grow a plant.  You are ok just changing the oil(bottled ferts), I am teaching people how to build an engine.  ;-p

No Desire to spend all my little free time to mixing stuff together.  i already mix in 2 types of soils, and 2 Amendments. 

And here you make zero sense.  You mix your soil already, but find mixing the soil to not be worth it or too much work and time?

Um,.. you mix and add amendments once,... exactly the same as you do? Except we add more amendments so we don't have to use a bottled fertilizer?

Heh...

I think the "roots organic" thread is calling you. 

Some people do not like bottled salt fertilizers.

Anyhow,.. this method is not only simple, but it is a teaching method to get people to understand what is actually going on when you grow. Understanding Essential nutrients, fungi, living root zone microbes, chelation and all the other things that go into how to grow a plant.  You are ok just changing the oil(bottled ferts), I am teaching people how to build an engine.  ;-p

And here you make zero sense.  You mix your soil already, but find mixing the soil to not be worth it or too much work and time?

Um,.. you mix and add amendments once,... exactly the same as you do? Except we add more amendments so we don't have to use a bottled fertilizer?

Heh...

I think the "roots organic" thread is calling you. 

i think u got what I said wrong....I open a bag of Roots then add in my 2 amendments and take the pot away.  I am not sitting their continually adding things or having to wait for it to incubate or whatever you want to call it.

Either way mixing in more than say 2 things is annoying and when your doing it in a garage having to open multiple bags and mix in this and that is well not for me.  I have much better and pertinent things to do than try and emulate the TGA SUPER SOIL MIX.  Everything is pretty much already in the Roots Organics bag minus 2 things which I add in manually.

Do as you wish...I am not hating on your style brohan.  I just think for the guy who is really busy and wants to procure high grade with Elite gentics can do it with only a few steps versus spending a day devoted to mixing and or waiting for the soil to permeate with biological activity.

If u wanna do your style all the power to ya mane..!!  I just got to many other things to do than dedicate a day to mixing.  I hate working with soil already.  And i found a organic Hydro guy that could rival my meds I would say to myself "bring it on ..muthafuxa".  I really dont like soil it is messy  and annoying and dirty..lol..but I love it because it produces the best DANK meds.  So I am stuck in a "conundrum" as Alaln Greenspan used to say..!!

The biological's in soil just flat out kill anything HYDRO can bring to the table..but it does sux messin with dirt and mixin amendments., grrrr ..

When guys like Brett Bogue return to soil ...they did it for a reason.  You can't beat nature.  it's perfect in every way.  man is purely Imperfect.

Edited by motorcitymeds

i think u got what I said wrong....I open a bag of Roots then add in my 2 amendments and take the pot away.  I am not sitting their continually adding things or having to wait for it to incubate or whatever you want to call it.

Neither do we.  You obviously don't understand this system, so why are you hating on it?

I'm not hating on Roots Organics.  If you have the extra money, and all your strains are doing well with it, fine.  All I said is that this method is cheaper and more malleable to stubborn strains, and Mal said he didn't like salt-based fertilizers.  You made assumptions about how much work we did without knowing the facts.  Almost all the ingredients can be found at a feed store.  Easy and cheap to acquire.  Just one trip to the store, just like you do with Roots Organic, or you can order it on-line and never leave the house.  Don't need to let it "cook."  You can if you want, but you don't need to.  There's no greensand or azomite that take months to release into the soil.  I spend about 15 minutes mixing a half bale of soil every three to four weeks.  After that there's nothing else to do except water the plants.  Nothing else to add, nothing else to modify.

There's a reason we call it Keep It Simple Stupid.

Hello everyone, I'm a daily reader of the site and would like to chime in on this subject. Ive used the kiss method for several years now. Price you can't beat it. I can fill 18 five gallon pots with the recipe mentioned by Mal and Cel for less than $60. I do add compost teas and find that some strains like to be top dressed with guano week one of flower others might get topped with Plant tone or Garden tone. Between the teas and top dressing my plants bath in biology. I have used the roots organic soil and had great success but the cost to fill those same five gallon pots $120. I personally think my teas make all the difference....The old soil ends up in the garden and now friends and family want to buy the old soil for their gardens. Monster veggies can cause jealousy too.......God bless

To each his own.  the feed store is less than a half mile from my house.  A garden supply shop is basically the same thing.  There are dozens of them in those two counties.  Just do a Google search.  I live in a county with 27, 000 people in the whole county and there are at least 5 feed and/or garden stores within a 15 minute drive of my house, compared to two hydro/grow stores.  The feed/garden stores charge a lot less for the same products too.

Why are trying to find fault with KISS?  It's not your cup of tea, and that's fine.  But to keep saying false things about it to make it a worse system then what your using isn't doing anyone any good and it's just making yourself look like a bitter person.  It's alright if you don't like KISS, even if you don't fully understand it.  You just don't have to cut it down as a growing system especially since there are hundreds of people fully satisfied with it because they have taken the time to understand it and try it.