Weidman Man Enters Plea In Medical Marijuana Case

An Isabella County man accused of illegally growing medical marijuana has entered a plea.

Elijah Lake, 31, who was charged with possession of marijuana and maintaining a drug house, pleaded guilty to the possession charge in Chief Judge Paul Chamberlain’s courtroom Friday.

Lake, who has a previous manufacture of marijuana conviction in Macomb County, is scheduled to be sentenced March 8 at 10 a.m., according to court records.

Lake’s plea agreement includes no up front jail time, according to court records.

Lake’s girlfriend, Corinna Neff, 29, was also charged with possession and maintaining a drug house but both were dropped Friday, according to court records.

Lake and Neff were scheduled to be in Chamberlain’s courtroom Friday for a hearing to determine whether former Isabella County Prosecutor Larry Burdick should testify in the case, and on a motion filed by the pair’s attorney, Jesse L. Williams of Traverse City, to dismiss the case because a majority of the marijuana plants had been destroyed.

Williams had argued that the destruction of the plants found growing at Lake and Neff’s home in Sherman Township would result in an unfair trial.

At the same time, Senior Assistant Prosecutor Stuart Black filed a motion to stop the defense from making Burdick testify.

Lake and Neff were accused of growing medical marijuana in unlocked enclosures, which is a violation of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.

Neff, a medical marijuana patient and caregiver; and Lake, a medical marijuana patient, were arrested after a Sept. 15, 2011 investigation.

Police testified at a preliminary hearing in November 2011 that medical marijuana plants at the couple’s home were not in locked structures

http://www.themorningsun.com/article/20130212/NEWS01/130219918/weidman-man-enters-plea-in-medical-marijuana-case#full_story

I think he took it to protect her..

That's what it smells like to me too.

I can hear the interrogation in my head right now. "Unless you confess to this possession charge you're gonna get years in prison and your girlfriend will too. Do you want your girlfriend going to prison for five years? Of course you don't, so just confess."

And the point we are making is that unless you use it you don't know.

But you can't use it YET that's going to change as more case's are coming back to the courts most are Dispensary's that had been dismissed

and they have a boat full of $$$ to get the job done IMHO

and that's why it may be why we have been in court this long when we are able to use the AD so will they

that could be good for us or bad ether way some one will in up at the highest court

And the whole Law could be on the line if its not a RIGHT to go in front of a jury

Then know one will be safe imho

Well Bob, this dude obviously loved his lady enough to lay on the sword for her. I totally respect that and truth be told if I had a case and it is not air tight section 4 I would likely do the same to protect my wife too. It would absolutely suck but she will not be the victim on my account.

Same here SFC. Wouldn't even flinch in doing so.

I always tell people, do exactly what is best for you and your family in your current circumstance. It is going to vary from person to person, circumstance to circumstance, and i will NEVER judge someone for doing what was best for them at that time.

:-)

Bob

I will never take a plea deal in my case.

The raid happen sept 2009

My wife dies 4 months after raid.

I already won in court of appeals.

I did hire the best attorney in the state.Michael Komorn

Great to here from you I hope things are well we also have the same Lawyer as you thank God

he is the best

We won at the COA back in 2010 some what as we no they told us then that we were to go back to court and let a jury here our story we were happy

And then were not allowed to say the word medical

That was about 3 years ago

Good luck and stand up tall as you have been the truth will set us all FREE

I think you will win someday soon