Michigan Bill To Allow Medical Marijuana Sales Filed

LANSING, MI — A little more than a week after the state Supreme Court ruled that Michigan’s medical marijuana law doesn’t allow for dispensaries, a state lawmaker is ready to file a bill that would allow cities and counties to approve them via local option.

State Rep. Mike Callton (R-Nashville) said he will introduce House Bill 4271 Tuesday. The bill already has bipartisan support, with eight Democrat and eight Republican cosponsors.

A similar bill died in committee last year, and medical marijuana foe Attorney General Bill Schuette ® has said no further medical marijuana bills are needed this year, but Callton told the Lansing State Journal he thought the measure would fare better this time around.

“I’m a Republican and I’m from a conservative area, but I’ve seen growing support from a lot of other legislators for this from both parties,” Callton said. “And now, with this court ruling, it becomes much more important. I want people to be able to take a recommendation for (marijuana) from their doctor and be able to go to what we’re calling a provisionary center.”

Not only has Schuette come out against any new medical marijuana bills, his office will this week send out letters to all 83 county prosecutors instructing them to shut down anything resembling a dispensary, his office said on Friday.

Between the state Supreme Court ruling and Schuette’s aggressive posture, Michigan dispensary operators—there may be as many as a hundred statewide—are running scared. Many have closed their doors, while others remain open only on the down low.

“Nobody I know in this state is advertising this service anymore—it’s all going to be word-of-mouth from now on,” said Holice Wood, owner of a compassion club, told the State Journal.

The state’s 125,000 registered medical marijuana patients now must grow their medicine themselves, rely on a caregiver (limited to no more than five patients), or resort to the black market. Patients need safe access to their medicine, they said.

“It’s cost-prohibitive to grow this yourself, and it’s labor intensive,” said Alec McKelvey Jr., 41, of Warren, a state-registered patient who uses marijuana to fight the side effects of cancer treatments. “You have to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment and really know what you’re doing to get a quality plant that has no parasites or mold—that would make my health worse,” McKelvey said.

Michigan lawmakers are also considering a separate proposal that would decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana in the state.

“It’s cost-prohibitive to grow this yourself, and it’s labor intensive,” said Alec McKelvey Jr., 41, of Warren, a state-registered patient who uses marijuana to fight the side effects of cancer treatments. “You have to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment and really know what you’re doing to get a quality plant that has no parasites or mold—that would make my health worse,” McKelvey said.

Contrast that against the patients that raked caregivers over the coals in the early days because it was so easy to grow a plant for next to nothing. Charging for meds was akin to a crime.

Bill Schuette ® has said no further medical marijuana bills are needed this year,

thank you Mr Schuette ,,

now lets just legalize it all

100%. Leave the Medical Marijuana Act just as it is so growers / caregivers and patients will be happy... and legalize cannabis for general use by those people over 21 years of age.

And it would be nice if the 'legaization law' also allowed those over 21 to grow 6 or more plants for their own personal use.

Contrast that against the patients that raked caregivers over the coals in the early days because it was so easy to grow a plant for next to nothing. Charging for meds was akin to a crime.

Yep .. there are patients that took advantage of caregivers. Like signing up several caregivers to receive multiple "one free ounce per month."

And there are caregivers that took advantage of patients. The promised free bud never made it and the harvest went elsewhere.

Bad examples of humans can be found anywhere. Doesn't take much talent to see that.

Yep .. there are patients that took advantage of caregivers. Like signing up several caregivers to receive multiple "one free ounce per month."

And there are caregivers that took advantage of patients. The promised free bud never made it and the harvest went elsewhere.

Bad examples of humans can be found anywhere. Doesn't take much talent to see that.

and dispensaries purchased from cali &colo and marked it what percent? yes bad examples everywhere in this biz

I can, and have, taught people to start growing for less than the price of an ounce.

I agree with you. A person can grow modestly if properly instructed for a reasonable amount. Not a lot and the buds might be a little fluffier (under cfls) but the product can easily be just as effective. If they can pick up used stuff then they can do more.

Well, You can get a switchable 400watt ballast for 100 bucks(SG). Most patients can get by on a 400 switchable. At least it is a good start. :-) I see 600 switchables for like $140. New.

Use stock bulbs and start with KISS method and you are in business for $250. You will need a few things as you procede, but you can be well on your way and producing rather quickly with a helpful caregiver.

I think many more patients would do small closet grows or the like if they just knew how to do it for a highly cost effective rate. I mean buying an 1/8th a week for 1 month from a dispensary or a quarter a week from a caregiver,.. you can be putting yourself on a rotation to spend the small cost of electric and a few basic supplies and quadrupling+ your medicine availability.. We just need to teach more people. Then those people teach others and help more patients who are unable to produce themselves...

Well, You can get a switchable 400watt ballast for 100 bucks(SG). Most patients can get by on a 400 switchable. At least it is a good start. :-) I see 600 switchables for like $140. New.

Use stock bulbs and start with KISS method and you are in business for $250. You will need a few things as you procede, but you can be well on your way and producing rather quickly with a helpful caregiver.

I think many more patients would do small closet grows or the like if they just knew how to do it for a highly cost effective rate. I mean buying an 1/8th a week for 1 month from a dispensary or a quarter a week from a caregiver,.. you can be putting yourself on a rotation to spend the small cost of electric and a few basic supplies and quadrupling+ your medicine availability.. We just need to teach more people. Then those people teach others and help more patients who are unable to produce themselves...

Exactly. The idea that start-up costs are prohibiting pts from growing is nonsense. You can easily cover your costs with the $300 (or more) you maybe spend per month at the dispensary.

Exactly. The idea that start-up costs are prohibiting pts from growing is nonsense. You can easily cover your costs with the $300 (or more) you maybe spend per month at the dispensary.

There is no doubt that the price of regulated medical cannabis will have to be higher than unregulated cannabis. It costs a lot to regulate. That $300 will be $300 plus regulation fees after a bill like this passes. They are just making the dispensaries even less cost effective for a patient. In the months leading up to the eventual closing of the dispensaries here, many were already selling joints because the patients were cash strapped. Placing the cost burden of regulation on the patients of Michigan is practically laughable when you know their business model was already suffering and dying. The only folks that could possibly afford the cost of regulation, on top of what it already costs, are the recreational market consumers. The dispensaries will have to pretend even harder that they are only serving patients. The plausible deniability that they aren't just serving the black market will be next to impossible. The only dispensary model that is feasible is the one where they have a huge warehouse grow, an imaginary patient customer base, and a real customer base that supplies the black market. That's what has them licking their chops because that's where the money is at.

There is no doubt that the price of regulated medical cannabis will have to be higher than unregulated cannabis. It costs a lot to regulate. That $300 will be $300 plus regulation fees after a bill like this passes. They are just making the dispensaries even less cost effective for a patient. In the months leading up to the eventual closing of the dispensaries here, many were already selling joints because the patients were cash strapped. Placing the cost burden of regulation on the patients of Michigan is practically laughable when you know their business model was already suffering and dying. The only folks that could possibly afford the cost of regulation, on top of what it already costs, are the recreational market consumers. The dispensaries will have to pretend even harder that they are only serving patients. The plausible deniability that they aren't just serving the black market will be next to impossible. The only dispensary model that is feasible is the one where they have a huge warehouse grow, an imaginary patient customer base, and a real customer base that supplies the black market. That's what has them licking their chops because that's where the money is at.

As many of us have been saying; legalize cannabis for 'general use' and leave the MMJ Act as it stands.

'Patients' would still have the option of using a caregiver, or they could grow for themselves, and the current laws that would give ANY cannabis user a hard time are eliminated, at least at the state level, and THEN we could try for law changes at the federal level.

As many of us have been saying; legalize cannabis for 'general use' and leave the MMJ Act as it stands.

'Patients' would still have the option of using a caregiver, or they could grow for themselves, and the current laws that would give ANY cannabis user a hard time are eliminated, at least at the state level, and THEN we could try for law changes at the federal level.

The only truely successful business model for a dispensary has to include the recreation market. And I'm not talking by proxy through a mule patient. Until we all get to this understanding, like you are GB, then they will try to keep pretending that patients are propping them up, not their recreational customers by proxy.

People are getting kicked out of their housing for one or 2 plants.

So the cost of a new place to live has to be included in the cost evaluation for many of these people.

There are serious efforts in Washington DC right now.

They include massive federal taxes on medicine.

I think we should object before they pass something rather than after.

People are getting kicked out of their housing for one or 2 plants.

So the cost of a new place to live has to be included in the cost evaluation for many of these people.

This bill will kill more home grows and make more people get zoned out of growing than anything else we have seen done yet. It would only make this problem you are speaking of worse.

Exactly. The idea that start-up costs are prohibiting pts from growing is nonsense

It's got nothing to do with $$ and everything to do with the chance of being raided that how I read it

Exactly. The idea that start-up costs are prohibiting pts from growing is nonsense

It's got nothing to do with $$ and everything to do with the chance of being raided that how I read it

Excuse me Bob, but 84000 renewal patients last year say you are being a limp weenie. 84000 return customers that know that raids are slim to none for the non diverting home grower. Please don't go into your case because we know that you did something that most all of the other 84000 didn't do.

Excuse me Bob, but 84000 renewal patients last year say you are being a limp weenie. 84000 return customers that know that raids are slim to none for the non diverting home grower. Please don't go into your case because we know that you did something that most all of the other 84000 didn't do.

Yeah .. they got raided.

Then they had the gall to refuse a plea deal.

Edited by peanutbutter

Sorry but you may need 3 days off from this site name calling is not allowed here