Top Worst Answers From Patients To Their Lawyers

t-pain

Good question OG

Employment- unless it is an employment exam (see insurance company discussion below) paid for by the employer, your records are private unless you release them or there is a court order. One glaring exception would be someone that is injured on the job, doesn't agree with the company doctor and comes to me for a second opinion. In that case the PATIENT will present my records as proof of his suit for workers comp for example. The defendant, the company, may try to get an order for my records (to review the evidence and prepare a counter).

Insurance companies. If they (or your employer) is paying for the visit, there is generally a clause in the insurance contract allowing them to inspect or review your records. They may also force you to sign a release as a condition of them paying (check your contract) in advance.

In general as a doctor I am not in the business of sharing confidential information, or falsifying charts. I do use a little judgement on what I write down though. And I'll leave it at that. Your chart will be accurate but not unnecessarily have every detail other than those necessary to document my decisions and judgement.

Dr. Bob