Legal Issues Surrounding Medical Edibles.

thecannabiskid

Total weight of the end product. They will also try to count the pan and put their thumb on the scale if you don't watch them.

Brownies have heavy cake in a pan and light, fluffy frosting. Which do you think you should put the cannabis in? And keep the SEPARATE until you spread one on the other and eat it immediately.

Dr. Bob

I have the most success making them out of bubble hash, made from buds not trim, and I have noticed a major benefit from adding lecithin. 4 grams of nice bubble and I fill about 20 capsules. Very strong.

What type of improvement does the lecithin add to the finished product?

I'm POed how the medibles issue is being views by LEO and PAs.

I'm allowed 2.5 ounces of dried leaves and flowers or any preparation or mixture THEREOF.

Look up the definition of THEREOF ......"of the items listed." The definition of thereof specifically excludes other items. So I can have 2.5 oz of leaves. I can have 2.5 oz of flowers. I can have 2.5 oz of a mixture of leaves and flowers. I can have a preparation of 2.5 oz OF THE ITEMS LISTED.

Use of the word "thereof" specifically excludes flour, sugar, etc.

Take "thereof" out and read it again. Then it reads the way LEO wants.

The use of the word "thereof" must be interpreted as intentional. Using "thereof" limits the weight to the actual cannabis.

Edited by Highlander

I'm allowed 2.5 ounces of dried leaves and flowers or any preparation or mixture THEREOF.

Look up the definition of THEREOF ......"of the items listed." The definition of thereof specifically excludes other items. So I can have 2.5 oz of leaves. I can have 2.5 oz of flowers. I can have 2.5 oz of a mixture of leaves and flowers. I can have a preparation of 2.5 oz OF THE ITEMS LISTED.

The use of the word "thereof" must be interpreted as intentional. Using "thereof" limits the weight to the actual cannabis.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

i agree another case witch will end up in the S.C soon but am waiting for the Koon case about driving some courts will ether let you have a card or drive not both

i agree another case witch will end up in the S.C soon but am waiting for the Koon case about driving some courts will ether let you have a card or drive not both

I don't think that is an accurate statement. Generally speaking courts have no control over your driver license and/or mm card.

Now if you are on probation or parole that is one thing but just in general a court cannot control your possession of both. There is no nexus between a driver license and mm card. It is one thing to say that you cannot drive while on mm but there is nothing in the law that allows a judge to summarily relieve you of your card or license just because you own both.

It is illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana but it is also illegal to drive under the influence of alcohol. When we turn 21 it doesn't mean we will be drunk every time we go to drive--the same as possessing a marijuana card doesn't mean we are under the influence of marijuana. In fact, possessing a card does't mean you use marijuana at all. It very well could mean that you got your card as a back-up in case other meds didn't work for you. I, as an example, have been to a doc in the past for treatment of broken bones. I have been prescribed vicodin for pain. I fill the script in case I need it but vicodin gives me raging headaches for whatever reason so I never use it--it just ends up being on standby in case the pain is worse than an ensuing headache would be. So, my possession of the vicodin doesn't mean that I use it at all.

Edited by CaveatLector

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Not the expert, but I think they are considering mixtures containing cannabis to be total weight. If a kilo of cocaine has 100 grams of cocaine, and 900 grams of talc or whatever they cut it with, it is still a kilo of cocaine to the cops and they are not under obligation to break it down to components. At least that is the reasoning they are using it seems.

Some of these ideas would be good test cases though.

Dr. Bob

Not the expert, but I think they are considering mixtures containing cannabis to be total weight. If a kilo of cocaine has 100 grams of cocaine, and 900 grams of talc or whatever they cut it with, it is still a kilo of cocaine to the cops and they are not under obligation to break it down to components. At least that is the reasoning they are using it seems.

Dr. Bob

With that said, they aren't checking for medibles even at the airports or customs if you are not a hog about it. It's very easy to hide a cookie amongst cookies. Cannabis oil has many look alike items too. These things are easy to hide right out in the open. Well, unless you are trying to sell them at a store as medibles. Then it's kind of obvious. Try not be be so obvious.

What type of improvement does the lecithin add to the finished product?

One of my patients taught me about the lecithin. It helps with the absorption. It encapsulates the active components in lipids that help with absorption. Without lecithin it usually takes me over an hour to feel the effects. With lecithin I start feeling the effects in 30-45 mins. Google some info on liposomal vitamin C. It explains in more depth what it actually does.

Dr. Bob

I agree and foolish is the person whom, at this point in time, throws caution to the wind and bakes cannabis into 25lb wedding cakes. However, with that said, the definition of usable marijuana arguably precludes the weighing of anything but the cannabis. Based on a grammatically correct reading of the definition the non-cannabis elements should not be weighed. Will that stop one from being charged? No! Will you become a test case should you get caught with product baked into foodstuffs wherein the overall weight measures more than your allowable weight of marijuana? Maybe. Depending on the county the answer is , PROBABLY. Further, depending on the COA panel you draw you may end up with that tough row to hoe all the way to the supremes.

edited to add: And if you make it to the supremes they could still hand you bad news.

Edited by CaveatLector

One of my patients taught me about the lecithin. It helps with the absorption. It encapsulates the active components in lipids that help with absorption. Without lecithin it usually takes me over an hour to feel the effects. With lecithin I start feeling the effects in 30-45 mins. Google some info on liposomal vitamin C. It explains in more depth what it actually does.

Cannabis has it's own lipids. You can perform extractions that include these lipids. A warm ISO extraction includes cannabis lipids in the oil.

Rest

I don't use any extraction methods other than ice water anymore. I don't really care for ISO washes/soaks or butane anymore. In my opinion the ISO leaches out too much chlorophyll and the butane just worries me for some reason these days. Not knocking any other method, I just prefer bubble hash as my base and then go from there. Try making an edible with added lecithin and see if you notice a difference, I definitely do.

Rest

I don't use any extraction methods other than ice water anymore. I don't really care for ISO washes/soaks or butane anymore. In my opinion the ISO leaches out too much chlorophyll and the butane just worries me for some reason these days. Not knocking any other method, I just prefer bubble hash as my base and then go from there. Try making an edible with added lecithin and see if you notice a difference, I definitely do.

You can subtract the chlorophyll if you have included a lot of leaves in your extraction material. It's fairly easy and I can introduce you to the process. You would only need to add lipids if you didn't extract them from your cannabis. I make lipid free cannabis oil for smoking and vaping. I include cannabis lipids for eating. There are more than enough lipids in cannabis to provide enough to activiate the rest of the ingredients when digesting.

Concentrated coconut oil capsules seem like the best option for my patients. about how much do they weigh individually? I was previously making mre type candies made with cannabutter and cold water extracted hash, I was told they were effective at relieving pain and didn't want to fix something that wasn't broken, but butter and sugar are heavy. I have a Daughter so i have to keep everything under lock and key and cant blended them in with other food.

would anyone like to share their ratios Bud+Oil etc.?