Clare County Compassion Club

Herb Cannabis

NL, here is an article from last week in GR regarding these two dispensary owners. Clearly they do not get it that what they are doing is flat out illegal. Clearly they still wish to push their own personal interpretation of the MMMA. It is case in point as to what has brought heat to the program. When I read the comments of Mr's Brown and Overholt, I wonder how they will defend themselves? I wonder who gave them legal advise? I wonder why, with PC language in the early stages of being considered, they would behave so cavaliarly that their personal interpretation (which is incorrect by many lawyers) is correct and newsworthy, when it is pretty obvious they are wrong?

So here ya go, this is a perfect example of people acting out their fantasy that the law is something they can personally navigate and additionally convince others more cautious and conservative that their view is solid and legal.

So while pending legislation they favor is being considered, they risk the pending legislation being shot down (from irritated lawmakers who are sick of bad actors), because of their confidence in the legal path they are following, and their willingness to push the envelope, BECAUSE THEY FEEL THEY ARE CORRECT.

all I can say is, this makes me shake my head. Totally damaging, totally stupid, totally wrong minded.

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- At least one Grand Rapids medical marijuana dispensary is serving its clients again, after being raided by the Grand Rapids Police Vice Unit.

Lieutenant Rich Nawrocki says police took marijuana and other products from three clubs Wednesday.

Medical marijuana dispensaries were ruled to be illegal by the Michigan Supreme Court in February.

The state attorney general gave county prosecutors the go-ahead to start shutting down dispensaries.

"They took the computer, they took the fax machine, they took the artwork off the walls even," said Anthony Brown, owner of Natural Wellness.

"They took scales, medicine for our patients. Our checkbooks, our logs," said David Overholt, owner of Mid-Michigan Compassion Club.

Both Overholt and Brown saw thousands of dollars worth of marijuana and supplies disappear within minutes

when the vice squad dropped in unexpectedly Wednesday afternoon with a search warrant.

Lt. Nawrocki says they confiscated everything to determine how the dispensaries are running their operations.

When the Michigan Supreme Court ruled that medical marijuana users weren't allowed to buy from dispensaries, patients were given two options -- find a licensed caregiver, or grow their own marijuana.

Overholt insists his shop isn't breaking that rule.

"A patient would have to arrive with their caregiver in order to receive their meds, or their caregiver would have to be present to pick up their meds for their patients," he said. "So we weren't breaking the interpretation of the supreme court laws. So we're a little confused here as to what prompted all of this."

WZZM 13 News contacted the Kent County Prosecutor Thursday, but he wasn't available to answer our questions.

Meanwhile, Brown isn't backing down.

"They took all the medical marijuana," he said.

But when asked what everything in front of him was, he said: "That's medical marijuana, business as usual."

Brown says he got his new product from a co-op, and he continued to sell to caregivers Thursday afternoon.

"It's hard to understand when we've been working so hard with all our legislators, all our police forces, trying to get some type of compromise here," said Overholt.

Lt. Nawrocki says investigators will take the evidence they found and prepare their cases for the county prosecutor's office.

The prosecutor's office will decide whether or not to press criminal charges.

If so, both Overholt and Brown say they'll hire lawyers.

Edited by Hayduke

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one am tired of the Jamies, Dave Overhauls, and all those other dispensaries pretending to be for patients trying to put their spin on how compassionate and 'legally compliant' their little dispensary is and how they exist to help the 'sick patients' that have NO OTHER SOURCE of meds. Stop by and they will show you how to grow you own.

Dr. Bob

"Cgs didn't exist before the Act, so ordinances against them should be blamed on the Act. After all, the Act didn't say local regulation couldn't target Caregivers."

Not so fast my friend. Per the Act: "4(b) A primary caregiver who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege,..."

Regulation that infringes on caregivers is unenforceable.

"Cgs didn't exist before the Act, so ordinances against them should be blamed on the Act. After all, the Act didn't say local regulation couldn't target Caregivers."

Not so fast my friend. Per the Act: "4(b) A primary caregiver who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege,..."

Regulation that infringes on caregivers is unenforceable.

Agreed. That doesn't mean some local yokels won't try anyway.

No, NL that is not correct. What is true is Ypsi would have likely done nothing if Jamie had not opened a dispensary, and if 3rd Coast had not lied about the DEA approving of Cannabis Cup.... those two things brought a bunch of heat...

Although, some claimed that this was said- no one from 3rd Coast or the Cup ever stated or pretended that any kind of Federal permission was granted.

QUOTE:

Cgs didn't exist before the Act, so ordinances against them should be blamed on the Act. After all, the Act didn't say local regulation couldn't target Cgs.

I believe the Act did make it so caregivers could operate as the law dictates across the state. What would be the point of making a STATE law if it was powerless to do what it says to do?

Edited by bobandtorey

Agreed. That doesn't mean some local yokels won't try anyway.

I don't agree with GregS's assessment, at all... "regulation that infringes on caregivers is unenforceable"

So GregS, do you merely close your eyes and you are transported to a place your your personal interpretation of the act is not subject to court or legislative interference?

Explain how that works in the real world?

Edited by Hayduke

Although, some claimed that this was said- no one from 3rd Coast or the Cup ever stated or pretended that any kind of Federal permission was granted.

Well it was quoted as so in the newspaper,.. but it was said that anthony/darrel misspoke.

"The organizers are also working carefully to ensure law enforcement is on board.

The MMCC is soliciting support for the event from local and federal law enforcement officials. Organizers are hoping some law enforcement officials will agree to be part of a panel discussion. Â A meeting with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has not occurred, as earlier reported on AnnArbor.com. Rich Isaacson, a representative from the DEA, said his agency does not typically meet with groups like the MMCC because marijuana is still illegal under federal law. Â “Our main point is we certainly are not supporting this initiative in any sense,” he said. Â “In fact, marijuana is still a schedule 1 drug in the eyes of the federal government so that’s the furthest thing we would be supportive of."

Well it was quoted as so in the newspaper,.. but it was said that anthony/darrel misspoke.

"The organizers are also working carefully to ensure law enforcement is on board.

The MMCC is soliciting support for the event from local and federal law enforcement officials. Organizers are hoping some law enforcement officials will agree to be part of a panel discussion. Â A meeting with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has not occurred, as earlier reported on AnnArbor.com. Rich Isaacson, a representative from the DEA, said his agency does not typically meet with groups like the MMCC because marijuana is still illegal under federal law. Â “Our main point is we certainly are not supporting this initiative in any sense,” he said. Â “In fact, marijuana is still a schedule 1 drug in the eyes of the federal government so that’s the furthest thing we would be supportive of."

It was never said- this is probably what started the misinformation. Anthony would talk about meetings with law enforcement which was done on a campus, city, township and county level.

Although there have been multiple raids at medical marijuana dispensaries throughout the state last year, including at two Ann Arbor facilities, Jamie Lowell, a partner at 3rd Coast, said that his business has never closed.

He praised Ypsilanti for working with the medical marijuana community while developing zoning ordinances.

What is the issue here?

NL, here is an article from last week in GR regarding these two dispensary owners. Clearly they do not get it that what they are doing is flat out illegal. Clearly they still wish to push their own personal interpretation of the MMMA. It is case in point as to what has brought heat to the program. When I read the comments of Mr's Brown and Overholt, I wonder how they will defend themselves? I wonder who gave them legal advise? I wonder why, with PC language in the early stages of being considered, they would behave so cavaliarly that their personal interpretation (which is incorrect by many lawyers) is correct and newsworthy, when it is pretty obvious they are wrong?

So here ya go, this is a perfect example of people acting out their fantasy that the law is something they can personally navigate and additionally convince others more cautious and conservative that their view is solid and legal.

So while pending legislation they favor is being considered, they risk the pending legislation being shot down (from irritated lawmakers who are sick of bad actors), because of their confidence in the legal path they are following, and their willingness to push the envelope, BECAUSE THEY FEEL THEY ARE CORRECT.

all I can say is, this makes me shake my head. Totally damaging, totally stupid, totally wrong minded.

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- At least one Grand Rapids medical marijuana dispensary is serving its clients again, after being raided by the Grand Rapids Police Vice Unit.

Lieutenant Rich Nawrocki says police took marijuana and other products from three clubs Wednesday.

Medical marijuana dispensaries were ruled to be illegal by the Michigan Supreme Court in February.

The state attorney general gave county prosecutors the go-ahead to start shutting down dispensaries.

"They took the computer, they took the fax machine, they took the artwork off the walls even," said Anthony Brown, owner of Natural Wellness.

"They took scales, medicine for our patients. Our checkbooks, our logs," said David Overholt, owner of Mid-Michigan Compassion Club.

Both Overholt and Brown saw thousands of dollars worth of marijuana and supplies disappear within minutes

when the vice squad dropped in unexpectedly Wednesday afternoon with a search warrant.

Lt. Nawrocki says they confiscated everything to determine how the dispensaries are running their operations.

When the Michigan Supreme Court ruled that medical marijuana users weren't allowed to buy from dispensaries, patients were given two options -- find a licensed caregiver, or grow their own marijuana.

Overholt insists his shop isn't breaking that rule.

"A patient would have to arrive with their caregiver in order to receive their meds, or their caregiver would have to be present to pick up their meds for their patients," he said. "So we weren't breaking the interpretation of the supreme court laws. So we're a little confused here as to what prompted all of this."

WZZM 13 News contacted the Kent County Prosecutor Thursday, but he wasn't available to answer our questions.

Meanwhile, Brown isn't backing down.

"They took all the medical marijuana," he said.

But when asked what everything in front of him was, he said: "That's medical marijuana, business as usual."

Brown says he got his new product from a co-op, and he continued to sell to caregivers Thursday afternoon.

"It's hard to understand when we've been working so hard with all our legislators, all our police forces, trying to get some type of compromise here," said Overholt.

Lt. Nawrocki says investigators will take the evidence they found and prepare their cases for the county prosecutor's office.

The prosecutor's office will decide whether or not to press criminal charges.

If so, both Overholt and Brown say they'll hire lawyers.

Edited by bobandtorey

I was at the Bham meeting where Mr Freed, your partner at the time, said the DEA was contacted and had no objections to the Cannabis Cup ya'll planned.

We are playing nice today, and that is good, but no rewriting history Jamieuke.

I have no intention of rewriting history- just clearing up the distortions.

I was there and did not hear it- was it recorded?

yeah sure Jamieuke, there were no doubt a number of wires in the audience, so if you do not have recording and both Zap and I remember it, are you contesting our memory? Here we have two people saying Freed made this claim at the Bham CC and you sort of claim we remembered it wrong, is that right? Additionally we have an article with an interview with DEA agent Issacson, stating no one had spoken to the DEA about their not objecting to a Cannabis Cup. Why would he make that statement to the press if it was not in response to a public claim that the DEA had no problem with the Cannabis Cup?

Awww, c;mon jamie.,, we know what was said. You ran around and apologized for it for months. No way you have forgotten.

Anthony and Darrell stuck their foot in their and your collective mouths,... they were called on it,... and they stepped back and you stepped up.

and may I add Jamieuke, I am biased about both Freed and Stavos after the Blues Brothers look alike in the local paper and Freed's bully tendency that shown clear as a bell when I watched him speak at the Bham CC. Unimpressive fellow in many regards, and definitely a person with a position that "his" position is the bestest (sic). This was Freed's XXXXX song and dance back in 2009. I am happy you don't hang with that fellow anymore.

Edited by mibrains
removed personal