Aclu Launches Nationwide Police Militarization Investigation

knucklehead bob

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)

has launched a nationwide campaign

to assess police militarization in the United States. Starting Wednesday, ACLU affiliates in 23 states are sending open records requests to hundreds of state and local police agencies requesting information about their SWAT teams, such as how often and for what reasons they're deployed, what types of weapons they use, how often citizens are injured during SWAT raids, and how they're funded. More affiliates may join the effort in the coming weeks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/06/aclu-police-militarization-swat_n_2813334.html

Could it be that the reason our police force has "militarized" itself is because they are dealing with a population that has access to military grade weapons? I recall an incident years ago when two bank robbers armed themselves to the teeth with fully automatic assault weapons and body armor and then proceeded to fight it out in the streets with the police. That was a chilling example of what the police have to be prepared to confront. So, could it be that our infatuation with "second amendment rights" has forced the militarization of our police force? Militarization of our police is a direct result of our irrational desire to own guns. They have to protect themselves and be prepared to go toe to toe with gun wielding mental cases.

I don't understand why some people are not willing to give up their exotic weapons in order to have a better society.

Could it be that the reason our police force has "militarized" itself is because they are dealing with a population that has access to military grade weapons? I recall an incident years ago when two bank robbers armed themselves to the teeth with fully automatic assault weapons and body armor and then proceeded to fight it out in the streets with the police. That was a chilling example of what the police have to be prepared to confront. So, could it be that our infatuation with "second amendment rights" has forced the militarization of our police force? Militarization of our police is a direct result of our irrational desire to own guns. They have to protect themselves and be prepared to go toe to toe with gun wielding mental cases.

I don't understand why some people are not willing to give up their exotic weapons in order to have a better society.

Agreed

Could it be that the reason our police force has "militarized" itself is because they are dealing with a population that has access to military grade weapons?

That explains why SWAT teams exist but not why they use them when raiding a home that they know is occupied by senior citizens with debilitating illnesses or when they are used with reckless disregard for the safety of innocent bystanders.

How many times is SWAT sent when it is obvious to everyone that a knock on the door and service of a warrant would suffice?

That explains why SWAT teams exist but not why they use them when raiding a home that they know is occupied by senior citizens with debilitating illnesses or when they are used with reckless disregard for the safety of innocent bystanders.

How many times is SWAT sent when it is obvious to everyone that a knock on the door and service of a warrant would suffice?

I M O , about 99.8% of any "SWAT Team" use is un-called for .

why do swat teams shoot dogs, especially the small breed dogs?

i dont think its a good idea to use a projectile weapon in a residential area against a dog. use a taser or something if you are scared of the dog.

shooting a gun is a bad idea, the bullet can ricochet or pass thru a wall/floor.

I agree. Maybe the ACLU probe will expose this idiocy and bring about some changes. I understand having to use force in certain situations, but bringing out the big guns for Grandma and Grandpa is a little over the top.