Medical Marijuana Advocates Protest Prosecutor's Decision To Shut Down Jackson Dispensaries

JACKSON, MI – A large group of medical marijuana advocates plan to stage a protest in downtown Jackson, sending a message to the county prosecutor that they disagree with his decision to shut down medical marijuana dispensaries.

The protest is scheduled for 1 p.m. Friday, March 8 in front of the Jackson County Tower Building, 120 W. Michigan Ave and is expected to draw more than 100 patients, caregivers and advocates.

Protest organizer Joe Cain said the protest is at the county building — rather than the courthouse where the prosecutor works — to help bring the issue to the attention of all city and county officials. Jackson City Hall is located on the same block of the county building on the opposite side of Michigan Avenue.

Cain is the owner of the Jackson Medical Marijuana Farmers Market.

“I am dealing with tens of thousands of patients across the state who have no access,' he said.

Jerry Jarzynka, the Jackson County prosecutor, sent cease and desist letters Feb. 22 to the 18 dispensaries in the county.

In that letter he stated the recent Michigan Supreme Court ruling banning patient-to-patient sales.

Cain said the group wants the prosecutor to reverse his decision.

“The purpose of this Act was to protect patients and caregivers from arrest. Patients and caregivers are now afraid to engage in activity that was guaranteed to them by Michigan voters,” Cain said. “Now all the dispensaries in Jackson County have been shut down eliminating access for most of the patients. The law has been nullified.”

At the Feb 19th commissioner meeting a group of medical marijuana advocates surprised commissioners with a visit.

Many spoke during public comment. County officials have said in the past that they do not have any control over how the prosecutor handles dispensaries.

http://www.mlive.com...vocates_to.html

There is a supply right? And there are patients right? Why the heck don't you just do this legally? Or in private? You have those two choices. If dispensaries get to be legal there will be no supply other than what they grow. That would just make things a lot worse. So make your choice between home grows or dispensaries. Legally supply your 5, or help your friends in private. There are your choices. No fudgies. No half way. It is what it is.

I remember when they started kicking out caregivers at the market if they gave their number out to patients. I had always considered it a great place for a caregiver to meet with patients and decide if it was a good match to sign on, guess joe didn't see it that way.

The last time I was there I saw several CGs with signs advertising patient openings.

Imagine if all the effort to make this protest happen would have instead went into connecting displaced patients with CGs.

This entire rally could have easily been a huge meet and great for patients and CGs. Instead we get a "protest" that serves to help individuals who want to continue running a business endeavor to profit off patients.

Cain is the owner of the Jackson Medical Marijuana Farmers Market.

“I am dealing with tens of thousands of patients across the state who have no access,' he said.

Tens-of-Thousands? And here I am, having a helluva of a time trying to find (and help) just one.

Edited by Juan Roberto

Me too. I've been trying for a couple of months to find another patient. The only responses I get are from people who want freebies or to buy overages.

Same here. The very rare, and very very few inquiries I've actually received over the past year has been some dolt looking for hand-outs, or even an even bigger dolt suggesting nefarious activities.

Pity we no longer have a functioning compassion club system (with about 5 exceptions). They were an excellent way for caregivers to meet patients in need and vis versa.

There is a new club starting in Clare to do just this, and ones on the way in Saginaw and the UP. Hopefully, now that we HAVE to, we can rebuild the compassion club system by remembering what they existed for, and it wasn't to dispense medications. It was to educate, teach folks to grow, and for local political power.

Dr. Bob

There is a supply right? And there are patients right? Why the heck don't you just do this legally? Or in private? You have those two choices. If dispensaries get to be legal there will be no supply other than what they grow. That would just make things a lot worse. So make your choice between home grows or dispensaries. Legally supply your 5, or help your friends in private. There are your choices. No fudgies. No half way. It is what it is.

so being illegal in private with your friends is the way to go?