State: House Bill Would Allow Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

So HerbCannabis, You support a bill you have serious problems with? Maybe nobody has taken time to explain to you but you generally don't support a bill until you agree with it. If everyone stepped up (like you) and said "Overall I support this bill" what incentive do they have to fix what is wrong with it?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally speaking, I'm pro dispensary, I support HB 4271, however, there are a few issues that need to be worked out. For example, the PC's (Provisioning Center) should not be allowed to cultivate, they should be required to buy patient/caregiver overages similarly in the manner that Consumers Power must buy home generated electricity back from its customers.

HB 4271 has a few other issues that must be considered as well before the bill is finalized before it has my full support. I will wait to see what the final version looks like before I can make the final decision to support or fight it.

HB 4271, imo, has the potential to put a lot of money back into the local communities and the state, something like President Reagan's trickle down theory in reverse.

Some on here would have you believe that it will be the end of the cg model, I'm not convinced that is so at this time, Initiated Law 1 of 2008 specifically states in sec 7 (e) All other acts and parts of acts inconsistent with this act do not apply to the medical use of marihuana as provided for by this act..

You may want to read an earlier post of mine titled, "Clare County Compassion Club," it was quite the debate, yet, much good information for you to mull over can be found there on both sides of the issue. It can be found here: http://michiganmedic...__fromsearch__1

Hope this helps you out.

HB 4271 has a few other issues that must be considered as well before the bill is finalized before it has my full support. I will wait to see what the final version looks like before I can make the final decision to support or fight it.

that sounds fair to me

Is the MMA a controlling statute that prohibits any kind of transfer other that cg2pt?

7(e) All other acts and parts of acts inconsistent with this act do not apply to the medical use of marihuana as provided for by this act.

Does it follow that this prohibits dispensaries? They would be, after all, inconsistent with this act.

7(e) All other acts and parts of acts inconsistent with this act do not apply to the medical use of marihuana as provided for by this act. this was talked about at the Monroe meeting today for about 2 seconds

7(e) All other acts and parts of acts inconsistent with this act do not apply to the medical use of marihuana as provided for by this act. this was talked about at the Monroe meeting today for about 2 seconds

It does not look like this is going anywhere, but what were those remarks?

Example of rogue prosecution of patients and caregivers due to a restrictive local ordinance:

http://www.mlive.com...als_believ.html

"We're not trying to encourage (medical marijuana caregivers within the city). We're trying to control it," said City Attorney Ed Henneke. "We want to eliminate the problems that have seemed to crop up other places with a concentration of caregivers."

Sounds to me like these mental giants have confused caregivers with dispensaries. I'm certainly not aware of any problems caused by, or even the existence of, a concentration of caregivers.

She is a zealot. Always has been, unfortunately. She was the source of the rally comment about the McQueen COA decision forced patients to buy at a car wash, where they could also get a $10 blowjob. Interesting Rep Callton now claims the Supreme Court decision in McQueen forced this bill into the light. Is this to suggest they did not have a bill for dispensaries pending in the last session? The lies just get bigger and more exaggerated, don't they? And yes Caveat, I do believe these zealots fail to see where they are messing up. They see dollar signs in both their eyes....
:bow::money::cigar:

All of it. Specifically, the part that empowers those local officials who have ALREADY trumped state law by taking away caregivers, and patients, right to grow in their homes. You can say all day long that our law trumps local ordinances. But I can literally prove you wrong by showing you examples of where this is already happening.

Have these local ordinances made it all the way through the judicial process and been upheld?

Some have but more recently Wyoming was told it's local ordinance ban wasn't enforceable by the COA. Now theirs was a complete ban, not just a zoning, but it was still a very powerful message.

I think the comments saying Dispensaries will stop the need for parking lot transfers is that it will lessen the instances of craigslist one time meets. Personally I would love a dispenasry bill, as long as it left the cg/pt system in place. It would lessen the pressure on CG's, you have one bad grow and your pt's have no options right now except to network and find a good p2p and pray it isn't a setup.

I kind of like the idea that Disps couldn't grow their own. of course that has it's own problems too. Just like the horror stories you hear about a PT signing a CG offering free meds, only to have the guy sell it all to a dispensary to make money and the PT gets nothing.

Some have but more recently Wyoming was told it's local ordinance ban wasn't enforceable by the COA. Now theirs was a complete ban, not just a zoning, but it was still a very powerful message.

I think the comments saying Dispensaries will stop the need for parking lot transfers is that it will lessen the instances of craigslist one time meets. Personally I would love a dispenasry bill, as long as it left the cg/pt system in place. It would lessen the pressure on CG's, you have one bad grow and your pt's have no options right now except to network and find a good p2p and pray it isn't a setup.

I kind of like the idea that Disps couldn't grow their own. of course that has it's own problems too. Just like the horror stories you hear about a PT signing a CG offering free meds, only to have the guy sell it all to a dispensary to make money and the PT gets nothing.

If the dispensary bill goes through, with all the available local restrictions in it, then the recent decision by the COA in Wyoming will be meaningless, and Wyoming will be empowered to keep their ban. Just like all the other localities that want to do this too.

We are WAY past just considering the 'idea' of a dispensary. Sure, everyone agrees that the 'idea' of a dispensary is good. Options are good. But THIS dispensary law allows municipalities to take away options and choices.

Here's a factoid for you; Dispensaries will always grow their own. It's the nature of the beast.

It would lessen the pressure on CG's, you have one bad grow and your pt's have no options right now except to network and find a good p2p and pray it isn't a setup.

Yea, the WYoming decision is very narrow actually and doesnt deal with 90% of these ordinance issues. A wonderful thing the Wyoming ruling and the cornerstone with which to procede; but, do not overestimate its reach.

And as far as CG's having a bad crop and the patients being stuck,... well that isnt true. The only one pooched is the CG. The patient can simply go to another CG. No big deal. The key, having a system in place in your area to allow easy access to competent reliable CG's to help out others when a patient is in need, and the patient need of registering a temporary CG while their regular CG recovers and the patient can then return.

The system is very workable. And a CG knows WELL beforehand thatthey are going to have a bad crop and the CG knows well beforehand of running out of medication to cover their patients and it is the competent reliable CG's who will make sure they send their patients to another CG before there is need in desperation.

:-)

Edited by Malamute

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But I always thought that under the MMM Act, 'caregiving' for a patient' was 'never supposed to be a 'business'.

I get the distinct impression from reading some of these posts that some 'caregivers' are concerned that their opportunity to 'provide' meds as an 'interprise' will somehow be interrupted if 'dispensaries' are permitted.

Am I mistaken in that observation?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But I always thought that under the MMM Act, 'caregiving' for a patient' was 'never supposed to be a 'business'.

I get the distinct impression from reading some of these posts that some 'caregivers' are concerned that their opportunity to 'provide' meds as an 'interprise' will somehow be interrupted if 'dispensaries' are permitted.

Am I mistaken in that observation?

The MMA permits money to change hands in a cg/pt transaction. If you consider that a business, you thought wrong.

If you choose to reply, will you please define "a business" for us before going further?

Edited by GregS

The MMA permits money to change hands in a cg/pt transaction. If you consider that a business, you thought wrong.

If you choose to reply, will you please define "a business" for us before going further?

A 'business' is normally defined as having a 'profit' making motive.

A cg/pt transaction would only be a business if a profit is made.

If a 'caregiver' makes a 'profit' then that 'caregiver' could be defined as a 'business'.

Are there 'caregivers' making a 'profit'?

If so, that particular caregiver can be considered a 'business'.

Your move, Greg.

A 'business' is normally defined as having a 'profit' making motive.

A cg/pt transaction would only be a business if a profit is made.

If a 'caregiver' makes a 'profit' then that 'caregiver' could be defined as a 'business'.

Are there 'caregivers' making a 'profit'?

If so, that particular caregiver can be considered a 'business'.

Your move, Greg.

Caregivers are permitted to recoup costs associated with assisting a registered qualifying patient in the medical use of marihuana. those costs do not include profit, but time, materials, fixed and variable costs.. The answer to your question is that caregivers are not in business, by your definition.

Will you please give us your definition of profit?

Edited by GregS

Caregivers are permitted to recoup costs associated with assisting a registered qualifying patient in the medical use of marihuana. those costs do not include profit, but time, materials, fixed and variable costs.. The answer to your question is that caregivers are not in business, by your definition.

Will you please give us your definition of profit?

Is a lawn care service a "business"? How about a housekeeping service? There are a lot of businesses out there that recoup only their time and expenses, but, correct me if I am wrong, aren't they are called "businesses" by the community at large? Maybe there is a difference between a "service" and a "business"?