60,000 Border Agents Furloughed Due To Cuts

knucklehead bob

U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced Thursday that 60,000 border agents have beenfurloughed due to budget cuts.

The furlough and other “austerity measures” are being taken by the agency as a result ofsequestration, CNN reported.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/03/08/60000-border-agents-furloughed-due-to-cuts-54261

Rather interesting to think the sequester cut of 2% to the GROWTH of Federal spending would impact border enforcement to the tune of 60,000 agents furloughed. If two-percent equals 60,000 that seems to suggest there are 3,000,000 border agents altogether, doesn't it?

Somehow, the numbers just don't seem to add up when it comes to the sequester.

Just more government hype in my view. The truth is neither party wants less government. The democrats want to give more food stamps to obese people and the republicans want to arrest more non-violent citizens on moral grounds.

What we have here is a one-party system with two partner parties.

But the numbers remain undisputed. If the Federal government was a typical American household it would have an income of $22,000/year, expenses of $38,000/year and a credit card debt balance of $168,000 and increasing by another grand every month.

Higher taxes are the answer aren't they? Well not if history is any guide. Turns out, every time tax rates have been raised, tax receipts have fallen. Sorta like when Bill Clinton cut capital gains and dividends tax rates. What happened then? Tax revenues actually rose.

Economics and demographics are cruel taskmasters.

Today there are 40,000,000 drawing social security and the cash-flow is roughly balanced. By 2020, just seven years from now, there will be nearly 60,000,000 drawing social security and it is going to be ugly. No tax increases can make up that difference. Indeed, tax increases act as brakes on the economy.

It will not be pretty but at least by then even the politicians will realize jailing pot smokers is unaffordable and ex-DEA heads be darned, taxing pot will become an economic necessity. If you can count and lock your doors, this may well prove to be the best of times.

Edited by outsideinthecold

Just more government hype in my view. The truth is neither party wants less government. The democrats want to give more food stamps to obese people and the republicans want to arrest more non-violent citizens on moral grounds.

What we have here is a one-party system with two partner parties.

But the numbers remain undisputed. If the Federal government was a typical American household it would have an income of $22,000/year, expenses of $38,000/year and a credit card debt balance of $168,000 and increasing by another grand every month.

What a great post!

I don't think anybody is concerned about this latest "crisis" except Federal employees.

As far as I'm concerned all we really need is an army to protect our shores (not oil interests overseas) and a court system for criminal (crimes with a victim) and civil matters.

In fact, I don't remember anyone ever asking me if I wanted to participate in this whole "government" scheme of theirs. If they had I'm sure I would have said no thank you.

The administration might be in the position to cut programs and services by going straight for those that are the darlings of the Republican Party. I have to wonder what the DEA will see in the way of cuts.

I hope a lot more then 60,000 agents.

GOOD. the More Federal Agents on the Unenjoyment line the better.

Little known fact. last year, or in 2011, the Fed Authorized Boarder Zone went from 75 Miles around the border (which enveloped nearly all of Michigan) to 100 miles, now covering 99 % of MIchigan. Considering Michigan is Bound by International Waters (yes the Great Lakes are Actually International Waters), thus 100 miles from the shoreline is now Authorized Federal Border Control Areas.

Beside, the Fed Employees wont get Unemployment, they wont be layed off, but Furloughed with minimal pay, and all back pay will be paid once they go back to full duty.....