Some Butter Help?

I have 2oz of trimmings well dried and cured and I can readily make clarified butter.

I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on making butter? There's a lot of variance between recipe's I look at.

Many say to add water to your butter as it helps keep the butter from burning and provides a bit of a thermal buffer. But I have only seen this in recipes with unclarified butter.

However other recipes say that adding water just decreases the fat content of your solution and consequently reduces the amount of THC your butter can hold; they also state that if you use clarified butter you can skip the water all together because the clarified butter has a higher smoke point.

Does anyone have experience making butter with/without clarifying? With/without adding water?

My other question is what ratio should I use? Recipes I read suggested anywhere from 1/4oz -1oz per 1lb butter. I understand the more trimmings/butter ratio the stronger it will be, but is there a saturation point where I would just be wasting trimmings?

I suffer from chronic back/leg pain due to herniated discs in my lower back pressing on nerve roots. I'm looking to make the strongest, most physically potent butter possible.

Criard I feel your pain as I have the same back problem. Ok I have never used dry trim I have used only wet. Ram it in a crock pot I mean stuff it in there. Fill it with water, add I pound of UNSALTED butter,cook on high for 4 hours stiring it a few times, reduce heat to low and let it cook over night. Get a 2 gal paint filter from Lowes or Home depot stretch it over a lage shallow bowl pour the crock pot into the bowel, carefully lift the paint filter off of the bowel and squeeze squeeze and squeeze the filter again trying to get all the liquid out. I use a pair of heavy rubber gloves and squeeze while it still hot. Put the bowel in fridge over night next day you have a a layer of butter on top of the water below it. Its kinda tricky gettin it out most times it comes out in chunks dry the water off it with a paper towel and your ready to go. I am sure there are other methods but thats how I was taught and it seems to work fine. Oh and by the way this stuff really stinks after doing it in the house once and smelling up the whole house I now do it in the garage lol. Hope this helps ya.

In order to increase the potency you can "decarboxylize" the cannabis prior to cooking it. Be forewarned however that it really increases the potency. You bake the cannabis in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes. I tried this one time and I don't think I will ever do it again. I licked the bowl after making some cookies and became disabled for 8 hours. I know what you are thinking: "That sounds like just what I am looking for!". Be advised, it was not pleasant. Very heavy body effects combined with waves of nausea. I threw out the entire batch after two other people had the same experience as I did. I am serious. It was that bad. I use the "simmer in water for 8-12 hours" method now and it produces butter that is more pleasant to consume.

In order to increase the potency you can "decarboxylize" the cannabis prior to cooking it. Be forewarned however that it really increases the potency. You bake the cannabis in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes. I tried this one time and I don't think I will ever do it again. I licked the bowl after making some cookies and became disabled for 8 hours. I know what you are thinking: "That sounds like just what I am looking for!". Be advised, it was not pleasant. Very heavy body effects combined with waves of nausea. I threw out the entire batch after two other people had the same experience as I did. I am serious. It was that bad. I use the "simmer in water for 8-12 hours" method now and it produces butter that is more pleasant to consume.

That is very interesting, but strange. I have wondered about the effectiveness of the butter and also the coconut glycerine tinctures I have made, but I do think they work, just takes a long time and not as strong as I thought. I also thought 300 degrees was way above the boiling point for the psychoactive components, but have seen differing opinions. I put my tincture in the 170 degree oven for 45 minutes per Subcool's process in HighTimes after sitting for 60 days, but am told this is to kill any germs and not necessarily to carb.

I beleive this is the recipee I used, and when they call for 1 oz i put 2, you can always use less cannabutter and a lil real butter for your cooking recipee, best of luck!

Peace

Jim

edit= any thing you want to learn to make with cannaibiss you can find a video on youtube, ive done this butter and it is the best, but that is just my opinion!

Edited by phaquetoo

can readily make clarified butter.

If you want clarified cannabutter, clarify your butter first. Using butter will 1) help keep the temp regulated 2) aids the final separation.

The ratio of material you use is up to you. One ounce of less works will. If you want a strong butter, add more material. Keep in mind that the body treats internally consumed material differently. It is not necessary to have it strong, because the body will store and recycle it. Stronger is not better, but if you make it strong, use less cannabutter in your final product. Oh, you will lose up to ¼ pound butter in your spent material. What you have to do to squeeze more out, might not be worth it.

I am reluctant to use butter because I want to wait a while till my sixth heart attack. Using vegetable oil is a good option, and simply requires bringing it to about 220 degrees F for about an hour. It is easier to strain and drain than butter, and the effects are verry good. Olive, corn, canola, soybean, and peanut oil are less apt to cause plaque to build up in arteries. Some are reputed to help to actually reduce the buildup.

Well, I read all the responses and there are alot of variances going on.  Ive been a chef for 20+ years, and have been making medibles, tinctures and other variations for myself and others for almost 15 years.  Just let me tell you, ITS NOT AS HARD AS IT SOUNDS!!   

basic butter recipe:  (this is my personal one and it makes pretty strong medicine)

1 lb butter (i personally just use salted, but either kind is fine) 

1 oz of GOOD BUD, ground up pretty fine.  (i like to use a mini food processer, one like the "Bullet" they sell on t.v. - or a coffee grinder works also)

or

if using trim, use 2 oz of PRIMO trim to get the same results

Use a slow cooker, or if you are good enough you can use a regular sauce pan on low simmer.  Melt butter first, then wisk in the bud.  Add about 1 cup of water, cover and simmer for 2-4 hours.  Stir occasionally, and add more water when needed to make sure the butter does not scorch.  After done cooking, take off heat and leave covered one more hour.   Then strain this thru a cheesecloth, making sure to squeeze out as much as possible.  (I like to use my potato ricer, or a salad spinner when doing large batch's).  refridgerate for 1-2 hours or overnight.  This will separate the water thats left over from the butter.  I now like to remelt the butter and portion it out in one stick sized containers, freeze and use whenever needed.

You only need to decarboxylize your medicine if you are NOT extracting it by a fat or alcohol based means.  (you do this if you are making capsules or want to use it directly in your cooking)

Adding water to your butter only acts as a buffer to ensure your butter does not scorch.  It helps to raise the boiling temp of the butter, which will also help to extract the THC and CBD from the plant that you want.

Once again this is a STRONG recipe, for a first try I recommend cutting the amount of medicine in half....   remember, its alot easier to eat another one than it is to try to get it back out....  :)