Pelosi Sends Smoke Signals On Pot Reform

http://www.care2.com/causes/pelosi-sends-smoke-signals-on-pot-reform.html

Is the Obama administration softening its tone on marijuana prohibition? The evidence has been mounting for some time that the administration wants to deal differently with the issue, even as raids on medicinal clinics and suppliers continue. A recent interview with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) adds to the evidence that the days of criminalizing recreational marijuana use are waning.

As reported by Talking Points Memo, in an interview with the Denver Post, Pelosi weighed in on the battle over legalization in Colorado, concluding it was time for Washington to get out of the way. “The state (Colorado) has spoken. The law has been passed,” Pelosi said in the interview. “There are issues with taxation and regulation, and we need to get on with it.”

Pelosi continued: “And in order to do that, there has to be a level of respect for the fact that if you are going to have recreational marijuana somebody is in business to do that and they have to have tax treatment in order for them to function as a business,” Pelosi said. “So how the state of Colorado interacts with the federal government on the taxation issues is something they have to work out, but I think they should.”

In politics, those are called, appropriately enough, smoke signals.

Like alcohol prohibition before it, marijuana prohibition will end as the revenue stream is clarified, and one way these issues are clarified is to work them out in the states. Which is where Colorado comes in. The state is in the midst of creating a regulatory structure designed to deal with an emerging marijuana marketplace. How that regulatory structure functions–which parts of the marijuana marketplace it favors over others, such as medical research and development for example, will help drive this conversation at the national level.

These efforts at the state are complimented by Rep. Jared Polis (D-CO), who is a chief sponsor of a federal legalization measure. Pelosi is among the members of Congress who supports Polis’ efforts. Does that mean Congress will legalize marijuana anytime soon? No. But with Pelosi firmly and publicly behind both efforts in the state of Colorado and Polis’ efforts on the Hill, it means Washington is in a mood to deal.

Related Reading:

Medical Marijuana Up For Debate In Federal Court

UN Drug Official ‘Voices Concern’ Over State Marjiuana Laws

If You Want To Fight Cancer, Turn Those Pink Ribbons Green

more lies.... they pander thats what they do.... once not long ago a man said a whole lot about mmj...he went on to have the highest arrest totals under his ruling.... so take it with a grain of salt ...most likely meaningless bs.... it did after all come from a politician lol

true

but we still need hope

Since the legalization of cannabis in Colorado and Washington the federal government will HAVE to deal with the issue.

And as more states go on to legalize, they will have no choice but to honor the voters' wishes.

Michigan should be one of those states that helps make those changes!!!!

How about Aspire?

With aspiration comes actions to move you in the direction you wish to go..

Hope is well, sitting there waiting for someone/something to change for the better.

I aspire for Cannabis to b legal, therefore I Contact All my Representatives so that they know what their constituents want to happen.

See aspire= Action

Hope = well, waiting and ????

That is my aspiration, what is yours?

What do you do to make it happen?

I sincerely wish that it is more than Hope.

How about Aspire?

Hope is well, sitting there waiting for someone/something to change for the better.

I aspire for Cannabis to b legal, therefore I Contact All my Representatives so that they know what their constituents want to happen.

See aspire= Action

well spoken.... my feelings to the tee. hope is fine for lil old ladys waiting on a good bridge hand. i live life on the edge, not by my choice, but in reality i could be sent off to prison at any moment. hope just doesn't cut it any more. Aspire.... it shall be lol

How about Aspire?

See aspire= Action

hopeful ?

Since the legalization of cannabis in Colorado and Washington the federal government will HAVE to deal with the issue.

And as more states go on to legalize, they will have no choice but to honor the voters' wishes.

Michigan should be one of those states that helps make those changes!!!!

Amen!

How about Aspire?

See aspire= Action

We need to build on that hope, aspire to do great things. Writing your elected officials is great, getting involved with them by volunteering is even better, it gives you a position to be heard from within. I'm a proud member of the Mecosta County Democrats, they have no problem with my views on MMJ, some even support us.

Hope in one hand, crap in the other, same same. I prefer blisters in/on my hands. That's what works. I wasn't ever very happy with 'hope and change' either. They are hard to define and get in the way of defined work to be done.

When I was a kid, there was a wise old owl who lived down the road and would say "Hope in one hand and shy t in the other and see which one fills up faster." Thanks for the memory.

When I was a kid, there was a wise old owl who lived down the road and would say "Hope in one hand and shy t in the other and see which one fills up faster." Thanks for the memory.

Funny? I had a drill sergeant that used to say the same thing.

Nice man though. A little twisted... but then we all have our faults.

more lies.... they pander thats what they do.... once not long ago a man said a whole lot about mmj...he went on to have the highest arrest totals under his ruling.... so take it with a grain of salt ...most likely meaningless bs.... it did after all come from a politician lol

Actualy I cant stand pellosie but if she is pushing for it, you can bet the bank she will help get it, I never ever thouhgt Id be on the same side as that liberal beach, but times are a changin! Just a lil, ( im betting her overseas acct is bulging! people like her dont do anything unless it helps her! so all you all with the money keep pushing it her way! :drinking-coffee:

Peace

JIm

Funny? I had a drill sergeant that used to say the same thing.

Nice man though. A little twisted... but then we all have our faults.

yea i grew up with my mom and dad saying that to me, schitt in one had and wish in the other and see which fills the fastest lol!

and when ever I asked my dad for advise on things he didnt think i could do, id say but what if! and he would say if your aunt had balls she would be your uncle, and when I was younger anything I did when he advised against it, I got screwed! lmao, and it still took me till I was about 28 till I realized How smart my dad was!

Peace

Jim

I guess im just not getting it, how can mm be legal in d.c and not be legal everywhere d.c is not a state, it is our national capital, yes I realize they have a city government there obviously, mayor cracker,whore supporter marion berry, I just honestly dont understand how d.c can be legal and not the rest of the states?

http://norml.org/legal/item/district-of-columbia-medical-marijuana?category_id=835

Only in America or Amerika!

Peace

Jim