Taking Down Flushing's Ordinance

GregS

That is what I recommended to her.  Where it gets interesting is whether law enforcement MUST compensate for property seized in violation of section 4 and not returned due to the CSA.  Might make them think twice about seizing things where there is reasonable belief the possession is legal.  Or turns out to be legal.

Dr. Bob

Edited by Dr. Bob

I would think she could file a claim for the value of her property if they refuse to return it. I would also suggest to her that if her boyfriend is having the cops come to her house and pick him up she may want to consider playing the field. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Edited by SFC

The best part about it was that it was in her underwear draw.  Clearly there was a strong indication that made it hers, not his.  And she had a card but was not home.

How could it have been avoided?  Lock it up in a case.  Put your name on it.  You have the only key.

But if there are any lawyers out there interested in doing the suit, it is a good exercise and might make a difference to others and the community at large.

Dr. Bob

I would think she could file a claim for the value of her property if they refuse to return it. I would also suggest to her that if her boyfriend is having the cops come to her house and pick him up she may want to consider playing the field. Ain't nobody got time for that!

At the very least, they would have to defend it in small claims court.  Increases the hassle factor for taking patient marijuana.

As a side note to these local yokels, I have a patient in Houghton that was at work when the police came to her house to arrest her boyfriend on an unrelated charge.  They claimed they smelled marijuana and went through the house.  They found one oz of marijuana in the woman's underware drawer.  They charged HIM with possession and seized the cannabis.  They then went to her place of work and questioned her, and she presented her card (they were bummed).  She tried to get what were clearly HER meds back and they refused, citing a possible distribution charge against them for giving them back.

What options does she have to retrieve her one ounce of meds?  Or if they refuse, can she bill them and collect the value of the medication?

Dr. Bob 

My advice is to cut her losses and move along. It will take immensely more resources to get it back that it will to replace it.

Edited by GregS