Seeking: Mmj Family Practitioner Or Psychiatric Doc For Pregnancy- Do Your Research Before You Judge!

okay, heres the back story... I have like 7 or 8 disorders, most of them mental, and yes, they are accurate, not some quack doctor shoving a label on me. I prefer to have a name them so that I can learn more and understand myself better. I take 7 diff kinds of meds every day. and probably over 12 on a regular basis. ....several years ago I became pregnant. I wasnt on disability yet and didnt have insurance so I was going to a free mental health clinic. They pulled me off all my meds and threw me in the hospital, even tho I didnt need it. when I was released I became so sick that over the next few months all I could do was lay in bed and stare at the wall. I couldn't even cry because my face hurt so badly. I was turning into a vegetable. and at 3 months was forced to have a medical abortion. Im sorry if that part upsets some of you! it upsets me more than you, so keep that in mind!

Now my hubby and I want to get pregnant again. but this time we can plan things. I will be weened off my meds over the next 6 months. But this will still leave me in a pretty rough spot! Ive been doing some research over the last week or two on pregnancy while being medically treated with MMJ. and there are some really positive studies! the US is in a hard place for studies, because we cant legally give pregnant women MMJ. so the studies in the US are of women already on other drugs and alcohol with it, women off the street, usually addicts. But there are studies in the UK and there was one in Jamaica where the doctor followed the women and babies until they were a year old and not only was there no difference for pregnancy, but the babies after born engaged sooner, made eye contact soon, and were more social.

I want to do this with the care of a doctor and psych doc that will support me and hopefully help regulate me.

here is my question...

Does anyone know of a website or group/person to call/email about finding such a doctor. Whether they are a family practitioner that can help me thru the pregnancy, or a psychiatrist, I would like any help you can give!

Note that if you dont believe in partaking in MMJ while pregnant, there are some people such as myself that are in a different situation as you. PLEASE dont get on here and get on your soap box. I am extremely sensitive and yes, I know the risks of being mentally ill and passing this crap to my children and also the risks of my "not being a good mother" (I am actually extremely stable).

Thanks to anyone that can help! ...and remember... DONT JUDGE ME!

No, But the pills they give you , with side affects you could qualify . They put this in the law.

Do you have health insurance that IS NOT supplied by the state?

Do you have a QUALIFYING condition to receive Michigan Medical Marijuana? (You are probably aware that having a mental illness is not a qualifying condition here in Michigan)

based on your description it seems to me that you don't have the mental, physical or financial ability to care for yourself...

then you may not be as "extremely stable" as you so eloquently put it...

i am quite sure cannabis does not work to ween you off mental medications so you can get pregnant.

nope.. no way..

the question of how it affects the unborn fetus developmentally is a totally different set of issues than what you are presenting here.. a child's stability and development while in the womb first and foremost comes from the mental and physical agility and condition of the parents.

sorry...but my honest assessment based solely on what information you provided here is for you to stay on the meds.. so you can be as healthy and active as possible and take care of yourself before you plan or attempt to take care of offspring.

Slllllooooooowwwwwww down.

Where do you live? How far are you willing to travel? I really dunno about helping you get pregnant, but we may be able to help nonetheless.

G. Please don't advise that someone else help her get pregnant. There may be paternity problems.

I know... it's a serious issue... just couldn't help myself :)

No, But the pills they give you , with side affects you could qualify . They put this in the law.

What exactly are you suggesting they "put in the law"??

They have NOT added any new conditions since the inception of the law in 2008! Where in this list of conditions do you see that?

(a) cancer, glaucoma, or positive status for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Crohn's disease, agitation of Alzheimer's disease, or nail patella.

(b) a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one of more of the following:

(i) cachexia or wasting syndrome;

(ii) severe and chronic pain;

(iii) severe nausea;

(iv) seizures, including but not limited to those caused by epilepsy; or

(v) severe or persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to, those which are characteristic of multiple sclerosis;

I don't see a problem with a pregnant woman consuming cannabis. The substance has been shown , over the course of hundreds of years, to have no ill effects on humans.

The psychotropic effects of cannabis result from the brain being delivered a view of the world that it is not used to experiencing. It seems that a fetus would not be able to experience the psychotropic effects because the fetal brain would not have a reference point as to what is "normal".

We are all living in one grand experiment. The incidence of autism has increased in my lifetime from 1 in 300 to now 1 in 50. At this rate of change, every 3rd person in the world will be autistic in 100 years. This is not the result of pregnant women using cannabis. There is something in the environment that is causing this. No one knows what it is because there is so much crap in our soil, water, and air that it is impossible to place the blame on any one of the poisons that we have spewed into our environment. Now along comes cannabis. A totally innocuous substance that has no known lethal dose and people are telling pregnant women that they shouldn't consume this substance? Just breathing air and drinking water is more harmful to a fetus than cannabis will ever be.

This is just my opinion. Make your own decisions based on your own world view.

They have NOT added any new conditions since the inception of the law in 2008! Where in this list of conditions do you see that?

(a) cancer, glaucoma, or positive status for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Crohn's disease, agitation of Alzheimer's disease, or nail patella.

(b) a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one of more of the following:

(iii) severe nausea;

(v) severe or persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to, those which are characteristic of multiple sclerosis;

Northern he is talking about side effects such as severe nausea for one.

Wow... so much to answer!  I'll try and make this clear wihtout citing everyone!

I am stable.  even without the meds I was never a "threat".  I never got too manic and I havent been in the hospital, even withotu the meds, other than being pulled off them for precationary, since I was 19.  Im 33 now.  Even with different meds, before I was properly diagnosed with bi-polar, ADD and OCD, I was a nanny for several years for children with emotional issues.  If you know what "Montessori" is, I went thru an elite intesive course to be a CERTIFIED montessori teacher.  Its the only course offered in the midwest and I was one of 40 people accepted per year. but I never completed my internship so was never certified.  So in OTHERWORDS... please stop judging my ability to care for a child! My main condition that has qualified me for disability is my ADD... because Im slow at things like running a regester and staying focused. It affects my ability to work, but NOT my daily operations! My husband is disabled with a skin condition.  So he is also home all the time and will make an excelent father. and my best friend lives with us so she can babysit as needed.

I have a card because I have fibromyalgia. I have a ton of pain all the time and it also affects my sleeping habits.  But I keep going.  Im never bed-ridden. I have an extremely high pain tolerance.

I am not looking for HELP to get pregnant lol.  I am quite capable of that on my own, thank you lol.  read the title again, Im looking for recomendations to a DOCTOR that will help me come off my meds that isnt "Against" MMJ even if they cant prescribe it.

I have medicare and medicaid. I am fiancially stable and have some savings. Medicare will provide a midwife, which I think is the way Im going to go.  I will likely stick with my current doctor and tell her whats going to happen whether she likes it or not and take her the studies and articles Ive gathered.

I was looking for a doctor or psych doc that wouldnt be "against" the use of MMJ, even if they cant regulate it.  the issue with coming off my meds isnt the disorders I have, its the idea that even tho they are "non-addictive" Ive been on them so long that my body will be in pain and completely messed up without them. I am looking to use MMJ in order to lessen the effects of coming off the meds and the trauma it will cause my body without them. When I was prego last time, it wasnt the disorders that were the issue, it was the lack of meds that my body was craving.  Even after the withdrawl period, it was really really horrible.

ps... not all people with bi-polar jump off roofs and think they can fly lol.  my manic episodes make me take on projects I dont finish, spend too much money, and make my mind race as well as being unable to sleep and going nutz with "grandiose ideas" which basically are things that will never happen that I want ot make happen.  I run everything past my husband and I can reacongnize my OWN SYMPTOMS before things get ut of hand so I can warn him to keep an eye on me (and take away my debit card hahahaha).

Thanks to those of you that werent complete butt-holes. Did I need to put "dont judge me" like 10 more times in my initial post instead of 3 or 4??? But at least even you silly ones didnt upset me.  some people around other boards are just MEAN! I know you are giving your oppinion and I support your right to do so.  so in short, thanks EVERYONE for participating in this thread!

PPS.. ignore my typos.  my nails need to be trimmed. no spell check on this thing!

It is America and you do have the right to pursue your own happiness (have children), but I cannot help but feel that you are not thinking this thru clearly.  A child is a long term and at times very stressful endeavor, are you really mentally, physically and financially up to this task? Neither you or your husband can work (apparently) so your ability to generate the extra income a child requires is not there. The little extra they may add to your benefits is not enough.

Edited by zapatosunidos

(iii) severe nausea;

:blow-a-heart:

I believe I heard some noise about having added PTSD, and if memory serves, one or two other conditions.

Anyone?

Currently there have been no additions to the original list of conditions!

A conditions review panel was formed and met at the end of last year. They did vote to recommend to LARA that Parkinsons be added to the MMMA. PTSD was also reviewed at that time, although they voted against recommending it, they did follow up with a public meeting where they sought personal testimonials.

I believe the board was to meet sometime in April to make the recommendations to LARA, who will then issue the final decision before the end of May.

Just to clarify to the OP.

I was not passing any judgements.  I asked about the insurance issues only because of medicaid and its "guidelines" on testing positive for THC while pregnant.  It is just something to take into consideration when considering the hurdles you may face in this situation.

I wish you the best in your endeavor. 

You guys are going to get me in trouble....for hijacking this thread with LOVE!   But WTH - This site needs some LOVE!!!

;)   :blow-a-heart:

It sure does need some more loving on the whole site, we need more people like you on here!

And see what great advise you gave about ins and being preg, I dont think any one else advised of that in this thread!  good job!

Nice to see you in here, sj you too bro!

Peace

Jim

• 2 months later...

I don't know any docs in your area but, my advice is to become active in a compassionate care group in your community and pick their brains. Also, you could try contacting the doc that certified you as a qualifying patient. These physicians are usually knowlegable about other local doctors that believe in the efficacy of medical marijuana. Also, heed the warnings about medicare/ medicaid testing benefit recipients. See the latest MMMA news letter. As a nurse I have also known OB/GYN docs who will not follow "drug users/abusers". Most do a drug test at one of your first appointments. More information can be found at phoenixtears.ca and on facebook under Rick Simpson. Good luck on starting your new family!